Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How, exactly, did your Recoilmaster fail?

Tupperware

I'll start,

Within about the first 1000 rounds the large head of the recoilmaster system, that the heavy spring rides on, wore a notch into the bottom of the barrel. The guide rod would then stick in the notch and release with a "clunk". Result of this was a slow-running gun that stovepiped occasionally.

Second failure was about 1000 rounds later. I noticed that the thin head under the light spring, the one that rides against the recoil shield, has let go and moves freely on the rod. Eventually, it will let go completely so it must be repaired/replaced.

I didn't like the marks it made on the barrel so I contructed a shock-buff (kinda like the cominolli frame saver) that takes the beating instead of my barrel, Have had it for about 2000 round and works fine.. Took a litte fiddling to get right but it works.

I shot a full duster SVI 9x19 (STD Division) with a heavy RM and 2 shock buffs, I've also put a steel thumb rest on it.. I'll tell you that is one calm canon. At 15 yards aiming and firing a the letter A the front sight will not leave the target on it's arch upwards.. Now if we only were allowed to shoot major I'd have a winning setup.

The "stop flange" for the larger diameter spring broke clean around the base - it left behind what looks like a washer & allowed the larger spring to act as the only spring acting on the slide. I need to send it in to STI for a replacement.

STI introduced a new generation of RM.

They have more material in the flange area, and heat treatment had been changed.

I did a little work on mine : I reduced the diameter of the flange, took about 1 mm off and I locked the smaller rod with a center punch.

They have been in my pistols for more than 2500 rounds now without any problems.

STI introduced a new generation of RM.

They have more material in the flange area, and heat treatment had been changed.

I did a little work on mine : I reduced the diameter of the flange, took about 1 mm off and I locked the smaller rod with a center punch.

They have been in my pistols for more than 2500 rounds now without any problems.

Julien,

How would I know if I have a new generation RM? I understand reducing the diameter of the flange but what do you mean by "locked the smaller rod with a center punch"?

He must have swaged it with the punch.

That's what I figured but it's suposed to be swaged from the factory. I wonder if a more permanent solution would be beneficial since this is where most seem to fail? Soldered? Welded?