Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

P226 sights for Production

blaster113

Tried the search function but couldn't really find what I was looking for. For those of us shooting P226s in Production, what are you guys using for sights? Changed the stock night sights on my gun to a Dawson .100x.180 high FO front with a Warren rear. The set up is fast but shoots low and has a bit too much daylight around the front sight for my tastes. Was going to call Dawson and go with a .115x.160 high FO front, but wanted to know what the rest of you guys are running. Should have posted this before I had the new sights put on. Live and learn.

The P226 is going to Grayguns in August for trigger work (happy birthday to me :D ) but I've wanted to get my sights sorted out before the gun gets shipped.

Would love to have a buried Bomar in the slide but that would cost too damn much lol

• 3 weeks later...

I have the exact same set up on my p226. I have the same issues, shoots low and too much daylight around the front sight. I'm interested to hear what others have to say as well. I'm wondering if the .160 front may be too much or not enough. I was thinking about the Dawson .125 X .170. I'm looking forward to hearing what you end up with. Also, interested in how your Grayguns trigger work comes out. I sent mine to Sig a couple months ago for the Advanced Enhancement Package. I'm really happy with how it came back.

Just put on a Heinie rear sight and using it in conjunction with a Dawson .100 wide by .180 high FO front. so far eleveation is just about perfect at 20 yards in my gun with mousefart 124/147 minor pf reloads. lots of daylight around the front sight post, looks just about right. sight picture is pretty close to the setup on my STI. Haven't had a chance to shoot the gun in a match yet but the sights are now good to go.

I went with a dawson #8 .125 wide Fiber Optic front, using factory #8 fixed rear...elevation is spot on at 45 ft. and has very little daylight. It took me a month, and several different sight combinations to finally get what I was looking for. I was looking for a factory sight picture utilizing a fiber optic front sight, this is it. I was able to put 3 rounds inside of a quarter at 40 ft, with this setup.

Edited by Gunfighter01

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

this is what I ended up with; a Dawson FO front sight with a Heinie target rear sight. sight picture is not as fast as the Warren/Dawson combo but is a little more precise for me on longer shots.

post-18249-0-55483200-1349012957_thumb.j

post-18249-0-04211400-1349012967_thumb.j

Edited by blaster113

I have a Sig P226 USPSA model I recently purchased used. They normally come with a Warren Tactical Rear and a Dawson 0.180 tall front. This one, however, had Sig rear and front night sights, not the Warren/Dawson combo.

So, I ordered a Warren Tactical Rear and a Dawson 0.180T x 0.125w front sight. It was shooting a little low. So, I removed the 0.180 tall front and installed another Dawson 0.170t x 0.125w front. It's now spot on at 20 yards. I've since read that most everyone that has the Dawson 0.180 tall front with a Warren Tactical Rear they shoot low. And that most replace with a 0.170 or 0.160 tall Dawson front. The Dawson 0.170 tall front is perfect for me.

Edited by JGus

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

this is what I ended up with; a Dawson FO front sight with a Heinie target rear sight. sight picture is not as fast as the Warren/Dawson combo but is a little more precise for me on longer shots.

Hi Blaster. Dd you end up with the .115 x .160? I've got a heinie on the way and wanted to order a Dawson front to go with it. The is the Heinie I ordered. Do you have the same rear sight?

http://www.heinie.com/product_info.php?cPath=9_12&products_id=63

Thanks for the reply. My 226 is shooting similar to what is shown as Sight Image 3 in the attached picture. I hate this about my Sig and would like it to shoot like Sight Image 2.

Can you confirm if your 226 shot this way before the sight change and if so, does your combination of Henie Slantpro all black target rear and Dawson .100x .180 front correct this? Thanks.

post-44252-0-21385600-1353419431_thumb.j

Edited by Yerman

I have no idea if this is useful to you guys or not but I was starting to go cross-eyed with all the info above and keeping everything organized. So, I wrote everything out into a spreadsheet. Thought I would share...

Here is the summary of my spreadsheet:

• Heinie Rear - Get a .180 Front
  • Warren Rear - Get a .170 or .160 Front
  • Factory Rear - Get a .160 Front

post-44252-0-44175900-1353597503_thumb.p

Edited by Yerman

I have two Sig P226 USPSA all stainless steel models as well as a P226 9mm Diamond Plate and a P226 .40s&w bitone.

One USPSA model had the Warren Tactical Rear and a 0.180 Dawson FIber optice front sight. It was also shooting "combat" style (as all Sigs are set up to do), but like you also prefer target number 2 style of shooting.

The other USPSA model, and the other two P226's all had the Sig rear and front. And all also shot like target 3, the combat style.

So, put Warren Tactical Rear sights on all four, put Dawson Fiber Optic 0.170 front sights on all of them, and now they are all shooting as in target 2 and are dead on target.

So in regards to the summary spreadsheet you listed above, I absolutely agree with what size Dawson FO front goes with what brand of rear sight. Myself personally I really prefer the Warren Tactical rear sight. But that's mainly because I shoot the P226 USPSA models in Production.

Thanks for the reply. My 226 is shooting similar to what is shown as Sight Image 3 in the attached picture. I hate this about my Sig and would like it to shoot like Sight Image 2.

Can you confirm if your 226 shot this way before the sight change and if so, does your combination of Henie Slantpro all black target rear and Dawson .100x .180 front correct this? Thanks.

Using sight picture #2, I was pretty much dead on at about 17-20 yards with 147 grain reloads. maybe an inch or so low but close enough for our game. with 124 grain reloads it shot a little lower, probably due to the higher velocity.

• 3 months later...

Thanks for the info in this thread. The night sights on my P226 have been driving me a little crazy with how low it shoots at least with 115gr ammo (all I can find in stock in the area). I also don't seem to be able to focus on the front like I want. Now to see if anyone local has a sight tool

I tried a Dawson 0.100 front sight, but found it too narrow. I now have a 0.125 FO front with a green fiber, and a blacked out Sig #8 contrast rear. I was having problems with the rear sight blurring out when I focused on the front sight with both eyes open. The two images would overlap and I'd see one long black rear sight with two notches. I painted the upper corners of the sight with white polish, and that breaks up the image. I think a Warren Sevigny Competition with the lowered corners would do the same. That'll be the setup on my next gun.

• 2 weeks later...