Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Gibraltar Arms 1216

Norther

Since it is a detachable mag looks like automatic bump to open. Wonder how fast the mag swaps are and how the manual indexing would work. Seems there would be a lot of training required and a lot of shot counting.

I only put about 15 rounds through one because it would not feed the ammo at hand properly. Therefor, my opinions are based on handling it for only a very short time.

A mag change would be easier w/ 3 hands. You have to push a latch at the muzzle end of the tube, then pull the tube free. Line the rear end of the mag up w/ the gun, index the mag properly to latch, and push up. The problem I had was that the gun wanted to feed a shell from the tube into the gun before I could get the mag catch latched. I'm assuming it was user error, but it was a little tricky.

The manual index wasn't bad. If I remember correctly, when the tube that was indexed was empty the bolt locked back. You then turn the mag 90 degrees (don't remember which direction) and the shell feeds automatically and the bolt closes. Repeat every four rounds or whatever each tube holds.

Doesn't sound very reliable, or at least not with lighter loads. Did it seem well-built?

Well built is subjective. It has a lot of plastic. But, so does a Glock and even an STI.

I was told by the guy who owned the gun it ran well w/ heavy loads. We didn't have any available that day for me to try. I don't think it was yet broken-in, so maybe after 100 heavy loads it would start to run light loads. Or maybe not?

$2400 is a lot of money for something with a smooth bore though. (Coming from a guy who loves to shoot rifles.) :)