Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooting the wire

cjs

So my third match, they had some nice timed turning target, triggered by a wire attached to a popper. Of course, at one point, a shooter starts, manages to hit a no-shoot, then hits the wire at the attachment point on a popper. Wire goes flying, have to reshoot the stage.

Next shooter is shooting rather wild, hits a few no shoots, gets some bad shots on targets, then misses the trigger popper...but manages to hit the wire and cut it. Wire goes flying, pull out the pliers to twist the wire together. Reshoots the stage and does much better.

Next shooter comes up, and sure enough, nails the wire yet again.

So 13 shooters, and 3 in a row manage to cut the wire with no one else having that issue.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

At the international revolver championship a couple years ago, there was a stage that had a complicated system of stakes and wires and pulleys involving multiple poppers and swingers. When I shot the stage, one of my first shots on that array hit the main pulley thus activating the swingers and taking away the timing element of when you had to shoot the poppers. :blush: Other problem was, I was working as an assistant range officer, on that stage, causing some (mostly) teasing accusations of that's where I intended the bullet to go. I really was aiming at the targets....honest...scout's honor... And now that blown apart pulley has a place of honor atop my reloading bench.

• 6 months later...

Running a basic sniper class assisting my buddy Ed and a sniper goes to engage a balloon. We would call out "blue round" or "long red" and they'd have to find the appropriate balloon and nail it. Shooting from 100 yards multiple shooters teamed up competing against each other to be the fastest, most accurate, but it was at the end of the class and its really just a target discrimination exercise with the time limit and competition told to them to create stress.

Anyway my buddy Ed is bent over a few firing positions down from me helping one of the other shooters with a problem with his rifle. He had called out a balloon color and type but the team at my end was just about to engage it when a small gust of wind detached it and it fell to the ground in about the middle of the target frame about 2 feet in front of the frame. (The frame is COVERED with balloons of various types and colors. )

The exercise is supposed to last about 20-30 minutes going through the teams stressing them out not hitting the other balloons etc....

My guys say "Hey our balloon just fell....what do you want us to do?" I look at Ed who has his back to me bent over a rifle and is obviously busy so I make a command decision and tell them: "No problem....if you can still see it? Then shoot it."

The two guys pair fire (both firing simultaneously) and every freaking balloon on the frame suddenly disappears. The small balloon was in front of a rock that we didn't see. The round fragmented and it was like we had fired a massive shotgun at the frame and "Poof!" all the balloons were gone. WIth that Ed looks up already starting to call out the next balloon color and shape and he looks downrange and his voice dies out. He then turns to me with his mouth open with this WTF? expression on his face and every guy on the line and waiting to shoot bursts out laughing.

They later told me my lower jaw was hanging open like I was trying to catch flies while Ed was doing his WTF face.

We had a short range equipment failure party while all the LE snipers spent 10 minute blowing up balloons.