Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Plated vs moly coated?

Gunfighter01

I have been paying $57.00/1000 for bear creek moly coated, but his supply has dried up.....I'm considering switching to a plated bullet and a more reliable source. I would just use precision but he isn't a reliable source either...he's 4 weeks out from having 9mm in stock. How does plated bullets stack up against moly coated???? They are signicantly more expensive and I average about 800 to a 1000 rounds a month.

You're going to pay about the same for plated as you are for jacketed (if you buy in bulk) so if you are going that route, look at MG by the cases. When Donnie catches up, his Bayou bullets are really nice but I hear that he is really backlogged right now too.

I have been paying $57.00/1000 for bear creek moly coated, but his supply has dried up.....I'm considering switching to a plated bullet and a more reliable source. I would just use precision but he isn't a reliable source either...he's 4 weeks out from having 9mm in stock. How does plated bullets stack up against moly coated???? They are signicantly more expensive and I average about 800 to a 1000 rounds a month.

HI Ya,

Bear Creek is a guy in Northern Cal and he has many distributors; i know at least two right in my area. Why dont you list your area, someone will set you up. The Moly's are fine, they do produce a bit of fouling in my barrel but nothing i cant clean up. Better than my own cast 147's.

keep your powder dry,

Max

Hi Ya Gunfighter, kinda enigmatic 'Riverside'.

My price sheet gleaned from calguns.net forum says Waterford CA

but maybe you are referring to a dealer in Riverside? Is that it?

much obliged,

Max

Guys, I just read the BBI link; he recommends less than the hottest powder. Good idea as both his and Bear Creek are coated, whether it is moly or some other stuff my gunsmith says it is messy to the barrel. He prefers jacketed. I am still fighting to get an accurate load. All of this is teaching me something but I am still undecided. Today I am loading some Red Dot to try out, bullseye and wSF next. I want to stay under 1000fps but be accurate at 35 yards.

Max,,,i found a guy,,, thanks...I'm gonna try bbi first, got 3500 on the way.

Also. I have been using BC for 3 years in uspsa and idpa, with no problems at all. In a Glock 34 and a Sig 226. My load data:

BC 147gr

Winch small pistol primers

Winch WST

3.2 to 4.2 gr.

OAL 1.25 to 1.30

Have used this load for both 125's and 147's moly's

I forgot.

PF 133,000 with 147gr 4.0gr WST

I will use this load for the 125's when they come, PF will obviously be lower, but ok for club shoots.

HI Ya Gunfighter, What gun? My xd9-tac wouldnt take that long a bullet.

much obliged,