Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

USPSA Executive Director selection process

Carmoney

With the announcement of Dave Thomas' pending retirement, the BOD will be hiring a new Executive Director for USPSA. Since this person will be running the day-to-day operations of the organization, it strikes me that it is really critical that the right person be hired.

I'm curious to know how the vetting process will work, and what kind of background checks will be employed (criminal, financial, medical, etc.) to ensure we don't wind up with a problem down the road.

Will the BOD announce finalists for the position?

Will the membership be asked for feedback?

Will a committee be appointed?

What are the real credentials and experience the organization is looking for?

Reasonable questions.

At one point I had some interest in the position and emailed Dave directly; he was very candid and forthright in answering my questions.

I bet he would answer Carmoney's questions equally directly.

FY42385

With the announcement of Dave Thomas' pending retirement, the BOD will be hiring a new Executive Director for USPSA. Since this person will be running the day-to-day operations of the organization, it strikes me that it is really critical that the right person be hired.

I'm curious to know how the vetting process will work, and what kind of background checks will be employed (criminal, financial, medical, etc.) to ensure we don't wind up with a problem down the road.

how are other non profits member organizations run?

the only thing i saw in the bylaws were that the BOD shall select the director.

Good questions Mike.

There was an Executive search committee set up at the last Board meeting. Dave is on it, as well. He might answer your questions, directly.

Any idea when we might see those minutes?

I have worked for various non-profits as well as for profit organizations.

The most effective ones usually have an executive committee describe the type of candidate that would be ideal for the organization. This can be a very lively discussion. A job description is on result of this step.

The next step is the actual search process; a headhunter can be employed (32% of the first year salary), make an open advertisement and solicit resumes.

A screening process usually ferrets out the resumes that do not meet basic criteria of the job description.

A screening committee usually picks the 5-10 best candidates for a first round of interviews.

Interviews are conducted; the best have a series of questions that are asked each candidate with the responses noted.

The screening committee meets again to reduce the list to 2-3 best candidates.

The screening committee invites the candidates to an interview as a group and with individual interviews.

The committee meets a final time to make a decision.

This is a very important position within USPSA, the best candidate may not be the most likable person. The interview process is not a personality contest but a skills based contest. :sight:

Or the BOD just picks the person they like. :roflol:

• 5 months later...