Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best 50m 22LR competition rifles

Art Yeo

Hi folks,

What's the best three 22LR rifles suitable for 50m competition shooting?

I searched Amazon & Google and they did not come up with much useful results. USA Shooting seem to be more focused on air rifles.

Any thots?

Thanks!

Hi folks,

What's the best three 22LR rifles suitable for 50m competition shooting?

I searched Amazon & Google and they did not come up with much useful results. USA Shooting seem to be more focused on air rifles.

Any thots?

Thanks!

Try rimfirecentral.com

Mark

Excellent rifle for 50' is/was(?) an Anschutz. Loved mine and our 3 position team won a lot of matches with'em. Not sure if that is the type of shooting your looking to do.

Tar

Edited by Sleepswithdogs

The best are the custom built guns using Anschutz, Suhl or one of the custom actions available. Two of the top gunsmiths for this type of shooting are Bill Calfee and Tim McWhorter. Not only are they good smiths they both shoot the games they build rifles for.

Thanks, that's exactly the sporting events I had in mind.

They are primarily for my kids to get started in competition shooting but I am not sure if I want to spend that much and find out later that they are not really interested.

Here is my short list for the available options:

• CZ 455 Lux
  • Remington 40-X
  • Anschutz 54

Do you think the CZ is good enough to get started in local and may be even state-level youth competitions?

Art, if you're outfitting Juniors for 3P, Anschutz makes many suitable rifles at less-than-NASA prices. Try Creedmoor Sports, Champions Choice, Champion Shooter Supply for those. With the glory days of smallbore seemingly coming to an end, there are lots of older, quality rifles to be had along with coats, mats, gloves, etc on the many auction sites.

Mark

Thanks, that's exactly the sporting events I had in mind.

They are primarily for my kids to get started in competition shooting but I am not sure if I want to spend that much and find out later that they are not really interested.

Here is my short list for the available options:

• CZ 455 Lux
  • Remington 40-X
  • Anschutz 54

Do you think the CZ is good enough to get started in local and may be even state-level youth competitions?

Only you know what you can afford, but let me just add this. Same advice I gave 20 years ago when I was on the AMU team to parents that asked...

If you buy a tier 2 or 3 rifle for you kid to get started with there are a couple of things that can happen.

1) The rifle does not shoot up to par, and the kid, no matter how good, does not do well, gets discouraged and leaves the sport. With a sub-standard rifle, there is no good way to tell if the problem on the target is the inability of the gun or the kid.

2) You are now stuck with a rifle that is hard to get rid of.

Buying a top class gun is a matter of spend once, cry once. No need to buy brand new, these guns last forever, maybe needing a rebarrel job once in a life time for the average shooter.

With a better rifle, the feedback your child gets when they look at the target is indicative of their work, and not a problem with the gun.

Socondly, should they decide to leave the sport later, it is not hard to get most of your money back out of the rifle.

Just something to think about.

Mark K

On a budget, Savage. Then CZ. Have some coin to spend, Anschutz.

Just FYI, I have a Savage FV that I setup almost identical to my precision rifle as a trainer and it's truly amazing what the little rifle can do with a box of SK.

Typically comp rifles comform to rules and use precise, adjustable sights hat can cost as much as the rifle. If you modify a sporting rifle by adding sights, proper stock etc, you could easily spend more than you need to. Suggest you first find a club that shoots rimfire competition, see what is used, and go from there.

Mark

Another option would be to start them in Sporting Clay, 5 stand or Skeet. Youth shotguns aren't all that hard to come by as kids are always outgrowing them. These are fun sports with leagues to shoot in. Save the .22 for plinking, say a Rem, Marlin, or even an ar/.22

Tar

.. and you can ALWAYS get much of your investment back if it's an Annie or similar if the kid(s) opt out after a season. Like Mark K said, it's worth the initial pain to buy excellent gear. If they keep it, it'll last forever. If not, it's easy to turn it back into $$. Don't buy something just 'cuz it's inexpensive!

Another Mark

Like so many other "traditional" shooting sports, attendance at local smallbore gatherings has been declining for quite a while. Same with my other historical pursuits, Bullseye and Highpower. Some years we enjoy an uptick in the turnout, but the long-term trend is headed the other way. Shooting round bullseyes is hard (and not terribly exciting sometimes) so fewer and fewer seem interested.

Mark

Find a range that has a junior smallbore program. Most have loaner rifles and other gear. That way the junior can shoot for a year or two before you have to buy a rifle. Plus there may be some nice rifles for sale by people who have either gotten out of the program or are upgrading to a newer, better platform.