Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

what camera for recording matches

I use the GoPro and love it. Felt like an A$$ the first time I used the head gear but then everyone wanted to use it. Now I share it with a few guys at matches. Would share the video with you but you would just mock my shooting ability :blush:

Here's my video from the Pro-Am this weekend. I use a Replay XD 1080 camera as well as an iPhone (4, not 4S) and edit them together in Adobe Premiere. The Replay is cool, really durable (it's taken a beating so far and has held up great) and good quality video. The audio, however, sucks. Now there are some internal software format settings I might need to fidget with, but it's bad enough so far that I use the audio from my iPhone. As far as the match goes, I just started shooting Open a month ago, so go easy. Click the YouTube link in my signature for a bunch of other videos.

I'll second the kodak playsport...easy to teach anybody..just tell them to push one button to record...For my head cam, I use a contour roam...pretty good also because you can attach them to your ear muffs and also just slide the switch to record, slide back to stop..

sample video

• 2 weeks later...

Hello: I am needing one for nationals and will look at the Kodak also. I need one to get video of me taken by another person so it has to be easy to use. Not ready for a hat cam yet maybe in a year or so. Thanks, Eric

I use a small Sony handycam,, model CX150, I found it online for about $150. It is full 1080 HD and has 16GB internal memory as well as excepting SD cards. The nice thing about a small camcorder is if there is no one to film you, you can set it up on a tripod downrange and film yourself.

I use the Gopro HD2 for first person and love it. You get over the size really quickly because it doesn't weigh very much. Field of view is great so I always get what I want in the shot. Picture quality is very good and you can do decent slo-mo too. Here is a link to my area 1 video shot with this camera:

For 3rd person I've had really good luck with the Panasonic lumix series point and shoot cameras. Good video and decent optical zoom for $200.

Edited by ctay

I just picked up a GoPro Hero HD. Haven't had a chance to use it yet. Any thoughts on the best way to mount it? I'll be sure to post a vid as soon as I have one.

The head mount works well. Put it on over a hat and it stays put. I totally forgot its there once I put it on.

I use the ContourHD with the head band they sell for it. I like it over the Gopro because to me it has less of a fisheye style to it and seem more heads up... besides being offset to the right since it's on that side. I tried a Pic rail adapter for my rifle but decided the head band was ultimatly the way to go since that's always where you're looking and the rifle is often pointed in other directions. I also use my iPhone 4s for video and downscale both from 1080 to 720p since that makes a smaller size and faster render for my computer.

If you want a good show, the 1st and 3rd person views are great, even another camera on a tripod. If you want to use the camera as a tool to improve your shooting, the 3rd person can be more useful I think, depending on what you're working on. I found a tripod camera to be too much to think about before shooting a stage in a match, but that kind of setup is most useful in a practice setting I think. If you can get video from downrange, you can really capture how you comp into a position, how you move, transition, reload and any extra movement in there.

Edited by MustangGreg66