Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

M&P 40 Pro Limited Custom (Finished?)

JeffWard

I just got my slide back on my M&P 40 Pro Limited gun. I'm VERY happy with the work done. I hade the slide custom machined/lightened by Todd McKechnie at Customized Creationz (www.customizedcreationz.com). I haven't weighed it yet, but he took almost an 1/8" out of the sides of the slide, plus the chevron shaped cuts. The slide cycles noticable faster with the weight drop. I'm shooting a 13# Wolfe spring over a full length Tungston guide rod.

Mods to date:

Dawson F/O front sight (factory Novak rear)

Apex FSS Trigger with factort TRS and Sear Spring

SSS Tungston full length guide rod

Wolfe 13# spring

SSS "ESP" Aluminum Mag Well

Taylor Freelance mag extensions

SSS Extra length/power mag springs

"Trimmed" follower legs (about 1/8") for 20+1 capacity

Customized Creationz Custom Series Competition Slide Lightening and M&P Serrations added to the top on the slide, behind the ejection port.

I'm LOVING this gun. Todd did GREAT work, and his prices are VERY reasonable for the quality. He's also very willing to work with you on design, colors, etc! Please PM me if you need any feedback on his work or services.

Crappy cell phone pics... This thing needs a REAL camera to do it justice!

Gun1.jpg

Gun6.jpg

Gun5.jpg

Gun2.jpg

JeffWard

Looks great, with removing the steel down the sides (were it is red) really got the wieght down, do think it will hold up lomg term?

check out the wife's idea under kkm barrel pictures's

Edited by RWF

He left all the steel along the slide rails, and the top-center of the slide is solid, so it should retain plenty of rigidity. Most of the flex/strength is a slide is along the rails and the top center. I'm shooting 90% 200Gr 40s loaded to about 170 PF, so the gun shoots REALLY soft.

Time will tell, but the M&P platform is SO cheap compared to the S_I guns (half the build price), I can just build another!! (I'm considering a 9 Major soon.)

JW

Very nice. I want to do something similar when I get tired of production (which may be never). Have you shot it back to back with a 2011 and if so, how does it compare? Have you weighed the entire gun? Will the slide still lock to the rear with your follower mods?

Very nice. I want to do something similar when I get tired of production (which may be never). Have you shot it back to back with a 2011 and if so, how does it compare? Have you weighed the entire gun? Will the slide still lock to the rear with your follower mods?

It is lighter than a 2011 for sure, but I'm use to the M&P platform shooting LOTS of Production with a 9 Pro. The weight of the 20 round mags, tungsten guide rod, mag well, etc, makes it shoot REALLY solid, for a polymer gun. The reduction in slide weight makes it feel even better to ME... I've never shot more than a few rounds from a 2011, so I don't have a real frame of reference.

I FSS Trigger from Apex makes a HUGE difference. I installed it myself, and tweaked the contact surfaces, and spring combos. Even the guys who shoot 1911s who have tested it usually respond with a "holy sh__"! The guys who shoot Glocks and M&Ps, and even XDs just drool...

The slide locks to the rear FINE with the shortened followers. But you MUST use XL springs. Still get 20 rounds (19 reloadable) with the XL springs from SSS.

JeffWard

What did you use for the stippling?

I used a large-tip (conical) soldering iron I inherited from my grandfather about 20 years ago... I drank about 2-3 beers, and went nuts. I'll do EVERY gun I own from now on.

JeffWard

i guess the red just really makes the extracter stand out. thats why i thought some metal was removed.

There WAS quite a bit of metal removed down the flanks. The extractor usually sits flush in the factory slide. Mine definitely stands out from the sides. Near the bottom edge of the slide, where it meets the frame, it is still full thickness.

JeffWard

He left all the steel along the slide rails, and the top-center of the slide is solid, so it should retain plenty of rigidity. Most of the flex/strength is a slide is along the rails and the top center. I'm shooting 90% 200Gr 40s loaded to about 170 PF, so the gun shoots REALLY soft.

Time will tell, but the M&P platform is SO cheap compared to the S_I guns (half the build price), I can just build another!! (I'm considering a 9 Major soon.)

JW

Hey Jeff, I know you've been shooting 200gr Bayou/Solo 1K for awhile now and can guess how soft it shoots. Just wondering if the cycle feels significantly slower than shooting 180s? I'm thinking of making a batch of 200s, but wanted to get your take compared to 180s. Thanks

rg

It is lighter than a 2011 for sure, but I'm use to the M&P platform shooting LOTS of Production with a 9 Pro. The weight of the 20 round mags, tungsten guide rod, mag well, etc, makes it shoot REALLY solid, for a polymer gun. The reduction in slide weight makes it feel even better to ME... I've never shot more than a few rounds from a 2011, so I don't have a real frame of reference.

I FSS Trigger from Apex makes a HUGE difference. I installed it myself, and tweaked the contact surfaces, and spring combos. Even the guys who shoot 1911s who have tested it usually respond with a "holy sh__"! The guys who shoot Glocks and M&Ps, and even XDs just drool...

The slide locks to the rear FINE with the shortened followers. But you MUST use XL springs. Still get 20 rounds (19 reloadable) with the XL springs from SSS.

JeffWard

Thanks for the insight. I definitely understand a nice trigger upgrade as I've been running a Burwell trigger for a couple years now. I wonder how a brass magwell would feel on the m&p. Seems like it would make sense for weight distribution.

I'm also interested in what loads you like to run through it.

• 1 month later...

i guess the red just really makes the extracter stand out. thats why i thought some metal was removed.

There WAS quite a bit of metal removed down the flanks. The extractor usually sits flush in the factory slide. Mine definitely stands out from the sides. Near the bottom edge of the slide, where it meets the frame, it is still full thickness.

JeffWard

Would you mind to say what the width across the flanks on your slide is right now?