Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.45 loads with WST

Jody Waring

Going to break into IPSC Classic division with my Springfield Armory NM .45ACP. Was wondering, with the IPSC factor of 170, can anyone recommend some good loads using 200gr SWC and 230gr LRN, and plated projectiles? I bought a few pounds of WST powder as I have read a lot of shooters like it with .45 and cast bullets. I appreciate hearing your input, and can't wait to get started! On another note, is WST fairly soft shooting compared to other powders?

I also use WST for a 45 load. However I dont chrono mine so I can tell you the power factor. The most accurate load for my S+W 1911 is 4.4 grains of WST under a 200 grain precision LRN bullet. It doesn't have much knockdown power but is very quick when shooting plates. To shoot pins I need to add more powder, I'm slowly adding more each batch. I have some that are 4.9 grains and work well but thatis top end according to some sources. the higher loads aren't as accurate for me. Pete

I just started loading 230MG JHP with WST. 4.5 grains and it was shooting 750-770 fps. It shoots really nice but I am going to have to bump it up a little for the power factor cushion. I dont know about accuracy yet because I just started and ran these across the chrono. It was also 100+ degrees out and I dont know about temp sensitivity of the WST.

I just started loading 230MG JHP with WST. 4.5 grains and it was shooting 750-770 fps. It shoots really nice but I am going to have to bump it up a little for the power factor cushion. I dont know about accuracy yet because I just started and ran these across the chrono. It was also 100+ degrees out and I dont know about temp sensitivity of the WST.

748.6fps PF 172.2 4.7gr 62Fdegrees Current Major Load 230gr RN Extremz Plated

4.2 gr WST under 230gr cast lead here gives me 172pf at 70 degrees. Recoil is just barely sharper than the same speed with Clays, so it is still a rather soft shooter.

WST is inverse temp sensitive, so the hotter it gets, it will slow down a little.

I also like WST,I have reloaded 230 FMJ and just moved to Berrys 230gr RN.I worked the load up from 4.4 gr to 4.8 gr seated at 1.255, very nice to shoot, low recoil and clean. I also reloaded some 230gr xtreme hp which are also plated, I loaded them with 4.5 to 4.6 gr at 1.235 same as the other soft shooting.

I dont have a crono so cant help you there, 4.6 gr should give you 800fps in 5in guns ( Thanks Fredj338 ),seated to 1.255, You can go to 4.8gr as max w/ WST, makes right near ball equiv @ 1.255" w/ a 230grRNFMJ. ( Thanks Fredj338 )

Hope this helps some just as you know work the load up, stay safe

• 3 months later...

I've shot 'em all. I like WST as good as any and better than most powders. And, it fouls the least of all I've tried. VVN310 was next best.

WST is a good powder, but it is dirty. I do like it for the fact that it is grayish white, so it makes it easy to see in my bullet seating station. I can eye it and see that it's not overcharged.

• 4 weeks later...

Bullet: Missouri 200 gr lswc (18 bhn)

Powder: 4.9 gr WST (was teetering between 4.9 and 5.0)

Primer: Winchester LP

Brass: Mixed

OAL: 2.230"

Crimp: .469

--This averaged 869 fps for a Power factor of 173. The Temp. outside was around 95. This was chrono'd at the 2011 Indiana Section Match.

--I switched to Federal Large Pistol Primers and the Power Factor dropped to right around 170. This was done at A5 this year. Everything else was the same.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...