Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Frist time using KSG in Shotgun match

Solscud007

I havent shot my KSG that much. And it is clearly apparent in this match I was at last Sunday. I borrowed some caddies from my friend to try it with the KSG.

This was only my second Shotgun Match ever. So bear with me. Last time I used a dump pouch to hold my shells and I used my club's 1187.

Anyway I thought a caddy would help keep the shells oriented the same way and make things easier.

I found that grabbing 4 shells to be a bit too much. Due to the recessed opening of the tubes, the shells get in the way of my thumb reaching in and pushing the shell in.

Also the selector switch is not something I am used to yet. So it takes me a moment to switch to the other tube.

Anyway I plan to use the KSG at the FNH Championship 3gun in Sept. Regardless of my disadvantage, I am having fun shooting this shotgun.

Here is the video. Oh something I forgot to add to the video, maximum load is 8 rds in the shotgun at the start. So there are some lengthy moments of my loading and topping off the KSG.

Edited by Solscud007

...maximum load is 8 rds in the shotgun at the start...

What rules are you shooting under? Under pretty much all rules I am aware of, an optic on your shotgun bumps you into Open, at which time there is no limit on ammo loaded at start.

I think I admire your tenacity to stick with it, but it was kind of painful to watch.

Why the gloves? Lose them and you will be faster in all aspects of your handling of the weapon. Try grabbing three from the caddy to start with. I would certainly get rid of the optic and compete in Tac-Scope or Limited at the Pro-Am.

I like gloves. Gotta keep my pretty hand pretty haha. I just shoot with gloves all the time. I try to keep my reloads practical rather than just for the sake of speed. While it doesn't look like it in the video, I try to keep my head up so I can see down range. I do it with rifle and pistol reloads. So I want to stay consistent.

My club's rules are very basic and not very strict. The only real rule was 8 rds in shotgun at the start. When I go to West Virginia I will be tac limited so eotech will be removed. Not a big deal for me. I shot stage 4 first and forgot to turn it on haha. But the KRISS BUIS artwork like a charm.

Iwill try a double load but the angle is awkward and the tubes are a little more recessed.

Yes MarkCo, it is painful haha but you should see the other shooters they did not fair to well either hehe. But I know my issues. I need more practice.

I saw videos from two different shooters on MiniUziDotCom's youtube channel using KSGs at Task Force Dagger. Interesting choice though if I honestly ran one I would use it in Heavy Metal just so I be competing against other pumps. I noticed most of them had caddies for extra shells but were primarly reloading from side saddles which seemed to work better for them. Here is one video example but if you go look at the videos of Nick, and Hammer on MiniUziDotCom's channel they are more videos of them running the KSG. Apparently Hammer was a KelTec sponsored shooter since he was using an SU-16 as well.

Hope seeing their reloading method helps you out!

I saw videos from two different shooters on MiniUziDotCom's youtube channel using KSGs at Task Force Dagger. Interesting choice though if I honestly ran one I would use it in Heavy Metal just so I be competing against other pumps. I noticed most of them had caddies for extra shells but were primarly reloading from side saddles which seemed to work better for them. Here is one video example but if you go look at the videos of Nick, and Hammer on MiniUziDotCom's channel they are more videos of them running the KSG. Apparently Hammer was a KelTec sponsored shooter since he was using an SU-16 as well.

Hope seeing their reloading method helps you out!

Wow very interesting. Thanks for sharing this video. I will try this out. I personally prefer to keep my head and eyes up and have a little more attention down range, it doesnt hurt to try this method out. His reloads are pretty smooth. My shells get caught on stuff. But again, I gotta practice more.

With regards to heavy metal, I dont have a 7.62 rifle or 308 rifle. Im not overly concerned about my shotgun times. I know I wont place high. but seeing as it will be my first 3gun match, I just plan on having a blast and using the KSG is part of the fun for me.

The KelTec guys have been out at the last two TacPro matches, shooting a KSG. The first time was a bit awkward but this last match they were obviously more practiced and much smoother. For gun games though I think the standard pump user will generally come out ahead just due to the simplicity of reloading. That recessed loading port and the switching is just harder to do in a hurry. If you can load all 14 though, or have to maneuver in small spaces, it would make a difference.

Also, don't hang the vertical grip over a barricade lip when shooting slugs, it doesn't like that.

Edited by SJ

The KelTec guys have been out at the last two TacPro matches, shooting a KSG. The first time was a bit awkward but this last match they were obviously more practiced and much smoother. For gun games though I think the standard pump user will generally come out ahead just due to the simplicity of reloading. That recessed loading port and the switching is just harder to do in a hurry. If you can load all 14 though, or have to maneuver in small spaces, it would make a difference.

Also, don't hang the vertical grip over a barricade lip when shooting slugs, it doesn't like that.

Thanks. I have done away with the vert grip. I use a Magpul AFG only as a place holder until Magpul finally releases their XTM handstop kit.

The video I posted, you are required to load up to a max of 8 rounds, if you can, in the shotgun. I believe the rules are similar for FNH 3gun. 9 rounds max in the division I plan to participate in.

• 7 months later...

Bringing this thread back from the grave. Kel-Tec sent me one of these to T&E for 90 days and I'm working on a manual of arms video for it. I'm no shotgun reloading expert but I think I have an OK technique down for running this thing. I might carry this as a backup to my Saiga-12 for Trooper at Ironman this year.

I have since put some DD fixed sights on it so I can try it in Tac Limited or Tac Scope. I am putting a pistol style rear sight on it, since the rear is far enough from your face that a standard aperature doesn't really work well.

If anyone in the Phoenix Metro area is interested in playing with it while I have it, send me an e-mail and we can meet at the range. sinistralrifleman@hotmail.com

• 2 weeks later...

While not optimal for this sport, it is serviceable and you can make it work if you want to.
My time to reload 3 rounds was 7-7.5seconds compared to 5.5-6 for a M2 or 5-5.5 for a 930 JM. I honestly don't practice reloading tube feds much. I think loading could be made easier rounding off some sharp edges on the internals.

After SMM3G I'll give it a try at some local matches for fun.