CB45 Range Diary

CB45

• Replies 593
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ya. Got to completely dissemble down to the bare frame in order to mill the piece of metal out.

So they thing is down for a couple weeks. I real nervous about going to the TN section match without a backup. I may have to blackout of that endeavor.

Ran the Trubor today after match setup. It works good. The trigger scares me a bit, as it is a "GH2" trigger job. A LOT lighter than Frankenblue.

My draws and reloads seem a little off with that gun. I'm sure with some more use I'll get used to it. I need to get some weight out of that slide. Maybe I will do that while I'm visiting my gunsmith this week

Last night I found out that Frankenblue has a cracked comp. My gunsmith advised me not to shoot it. He thinks the end of the comp will blow off. I've emailed the manufacturer to see if they will warranty it. We drilled out most of the ejector pin. A little remnants are still in the frame, but I was able to fit a new ejector.

I think Frankenblue is dying. I don't know if I should invest anymore time and money into that thing. Its really loose and has holes and cuts all over it. I made M with that thing, and I really liked shooting it, but it probably has seen its better days.

We worked on the lemon Trubor last night as well. That thing worked for a friend of mine all summer. I pick it up and jambs up two times in 160rd match. I found a groove in the side of the breach face. We filled and polished on that thing for about an hour. I don't what caused the groove, my suspicion is that the extractor tension was a little high. I'm going to drop in a AFTEC, and see what happens.

A week ago I thought I had two fully functional guns, today I have none. At first I was angry, now I am just bummed.

Let's hope tonights test fire goes well with the Trubor.

Well, the backup Trubor is running better. I wouldn't take it to a major... 1 malfunction tonight out of a 250rd practice session. Not great, but I think I'll stumble my way through the rest of the season with it. I'll focus on some things I've been wanting to work on, and not worry myself with the results from local matches. Results are going to be bad when you have to clear malfunctions on 2-3 stages a match...

It felt good to get back behind the gun. I've really slacked off with my personal training. I've been practicing with other people a lot and really trying to help them. I was suffering from a slight case of burnout, so it was good to just help other people for a while.

Practiced my surrender draw some tonight. Its getting better. At 7yds I was able to get a few sub second draws to the A zone. That's a huge gain. Last time I timed my surrender draw I was in the 1.08-1.1s range at best. Funny to think that at this time last year, my hands at sides draw was 1.25. Surrender draw was 1.45s. I'm really picking up my hand speed.

I worked on acquiring targets around vision barriers extensively tonight. I think I figured out how to do it better. I know it has been a weakness, so I'm on a mission to make it a strength. I figured out that if the target is deeply barrier into a position, I need to drive my body (hips and knees) into that position and get my eyes on the target as soon as possible. Then drive the gun to the target (almost simultaneously).

My previous method was to drive just my eyes and gun into the position. Well that sucks when your body isn't in the right position to let the gun get all the way to the target. I would end up with my body stumbling into a position to let the gun get on target. Basically I was doing it wrong.

I did a few 6-reload-6 drills and bill drills. 6r6 was comfortable around 4.5s and bill drills were around 1.8s. I could push a little more on 6r6 if I wanted, but I was really looking to watch the dot. I wanted to practice calling my shots, and I did!

Good range session tonight. Great weather, and I learned a bunch.

Some say size doesn't matter, but for the Trubor ejector, size matters. I installed a new XL ejector from EGW two days ago hoping to get better reliability. I finally got to the range today to test it out.

I ran a 200rd practice session this morning with the Trubor. That thing ran like a sewing machine!!! I'm pleased for now with that thing.

ARG!!! I've officially given up on that Trubor! I had 2 stovepipes today at a local match. I've exhausted all possible combinations of ejector length, extractor type and tension, springs, blah, blah, blah... I am at my wits end. I'm going to see if the manufacturer will help me out. I'm hoping they will stand behind their product. It hasn't worked since day one.

On a better note, I should have my primary gun back by the end of the week. I'm super excited about that.

Shot in the rain today at a local match. Classifier was going well until water from an awning started falling right in front of the gun. The gas from the comp raised the cloth e-z-up, dumping said water in front of the gun. It was just distracting enough to loose focus on the last shot, Mike!!! Ah well, am not looking to make GM anytime soon.

The rest of the match was pretty much junk. The dot totally washed out on two stages. Today was a lesson on shooting a dot in the rain. Good experience, but it was a tough lesson.

Tough day.

Well good news!!! I am going to pick up Frankenblue tomorrow!!! My gunsmith is awesome! This is the second time this year he has really helped me out. With any luck, I'll have it broke in for the Indians State SCSA match on Oct. 19th.

Speaking of SCSA ... I went to the range last night to do more testing on the Trubor. I worked on my surrender draw a little bit. I tweaked a couple things and was able to get my surrender draw to a 7yd A zone under 1s. That's faster than I was 2 months ago. Surrender draw to partial targets at 17yds was consistently around 1.3s. That felt good

I also worked on shooting hard shots as fast as I could. I think I need to do more of that.

The Trubor ran great last night, 100rds. I'm dumfounded with that thing.

Dear Frankenblue,

So nice to have you home. It felt so wrong to have my hands on Trudy, and she doesn't treat me as well as you do. We have about 6 matches together until the season is over, let's end the year together strong. Then we will have all winter to dryfire together.

Glad to have you back!

Dear Frankenblue,

So nice to have you home. It felt so wrong to have my hands on Trudy, and she doesn't treat me as well as you do. We have about 6 matches together until the season is over, let's end the year together strong. Then we will have all winter to dryfire together.

Glad to have you back!

You have completely lost it. Total bonkers.............

.Frankenblue and Trudy are nothing compared to Juju. Eventhough I made master with Trudy and she treated me great, Juju beats them both.

FNS last night went well with Frankenblue. Minor rounds ran through without a problem. Woke up early this morning to set up a stage at Wildcat Valley.

I shot a clean match today at Wildcat Creek! Frankenblue ran like a sewing machine! It is so nice to shoot without worrying about gun issues.

Went to the Silvercreek match today. Shot the field courses clean. I had one hickup with Frankenblue. It was either ammo or a weak recoil spring. Either way the gun didn't go into battery all the way. Ah well.

I hosed up the classifier pretty good. Stage description specified one shot per paper, and for some reason in the middle of the string I shot one target twice. I don't know why, I just thought it was a good idea. Cost me a mike and extra hit penalty. That's what I get for not visualizing the stage. I took for granted the simplicity of the stage, and what do you know it nipped me right in the butt.

Fun day and beautiful weather!

Great match Dave and crew!

Shot the Indiana Steel Challenge match this morning in the rain. I shot a pretty good match. Rain was a little heavy at times, but I managed to struggle through it.

Total time for the 8 stage match was 113.56s. Good enough to win Open.

Back to USPSA tomorrow. Going to WVPPC in Riley, IN. Should be a good match.

Edited by CB45

Much nicer day today at WVPPC. Took HOA by about 4% over Max B. First time I've beat him. Feels good to see some results.

Match notes: Shoot more A's on targets inside 10yds. Know what order activator targets appear before you shoot the stage. Don't pull off targets, even if they are inside 5yds. (Accounts for 2 mikes for this match).

I shot great points on targets beyond 10yds, which is what I have spent 2 months practicing. So that's good. Stage execution, movement, and reloads were the highlight of my day.

Good weekend for CB45. Going to get back to work.

Edited by CB45

Practice Wednesday with Kurt was good. I didn't shoot much. Just a few runs at a string of partial targets.

I've been thinking about goals for next year. I achieved all of my goals this year. So that's rewarding.

I don't have a desire to "make GM". If it happens, it happens. I just don't care about it. I'm setting my goals higher.

I am more interested in shooting like a GM consistently. I'm still figuring out what that means. I want to be in contention to win every match I go to. Which pretty much means I need to experience the same level of growth as I experienced this year.

B to M ~ 25% better.

M to GM ~10% better.

GM to top level competitor~ 15% better.

That's a HUGE goal, but I think it would be cool.

I