Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

new 650 problems

Hi all,

After a ton of trouble the last year with a 1050, i bought a 650 in 9 mm

It worked fine for 400 rounds. Now ik have to index the shellplate manualy, or else the primer get crushed. And the brass won’t feed, it needs just al litte more push to feed into the tube.

Does anybody has a simulair experience?

Best regards Patrick

Hi all,

It worked fine for 400 rounds. Now ik have to index the shellplate manualy, or else the primer get crushed. And the brass won’t feed, it needs just al litte more push to feed into the tube.

Best regards Patrick

Sounds like the shell plate bolt is to tight or possibly powder is uder the shell plate causing a drag.

Edited by wellerjohn

I was getting lots of crushed primers initially on my 650 and it turned out my shell plate was left too loose (by me, when snipping some off the index ball spring). If you press on the shell plate at the bullet seating position and it feels springy, the plate is too loose according to what I've read. I also added a bent the spring arm that holds the cases into the priming station slightly so the cases were held more consistently in the shell plate. Before, there was more wiggle than seemed good and I suspect the cases were sometimes not lining up with the primer punch. I've loaded 500 rounds since and have had no crushed primers.

Hi all,

Best regards Patrick

Thanks ik will try that tonight.

If i have put the sizingdie too deep, can it be that i can't finish my stroke?

So if you don't know if the sizer is setup properly then you need to learn how to do it. Pull out the manual and follow the directions. BUT I would say the smart thing to do is actually read ALL the instruction through one time first. Then set the sizer and all the other dies properly. The sizer is a easy die to setup. Your comment about the 1050 and now the 650 and not know for sure that your sizer is properly set up, make me think you need to dive in and learn a lot more about the machine in front of you.

I too am getting started for the first time on a 650... definitely a learning curve but it's a fairly complex piece of machinery. I'm going slow to see how all parts interact with each other and getting it all figured out before I start trying to make large batches of ammo. It is definitely not a plug and play machine for a newb. I've had a few of the same problems but this forum had been a HUGE help getting the bugs worked out and teaching me the way. Thanks guys!

Proper shell plate tension would be my guess as well. If you go to Youtube and search for "Dillon 650 caliber conversion" you should find some videos on converting the press. Many of these videos cover proper tension of the shell plate.

Edited by L3324temp

After reading the manual and still have problems give Dillon a call. Still have problems ask one of the club members who owns a 650 to drop by. Dies have to be set correctly and the press adjusted and lubed correctly.

Update:after i tightend the shellplate , i loaded 500 rounds with no bad primers. Also the indexing improved very much.

It seems that i also have to operate the handle a little slower than on my 1050. I also checked and the sizingdie does not hit the shellplate, so i can complete the entire stroke without brass in the press. Sometimes with brass in the press it feels that i can not complete the whole downwards strike, but thats another question i guess.

Now I only have to fix the brassfeeding, approx 1 in 20 doesn’t feed.

It falls from the casefeder in the tube, the problem to feed happens when the brass are supose to come out of the tube, sometimes it doesn’t get pushed far enough out of the the tube and goes back in the tube.

Thanks for your help so far!

Best regards Patrick

ps i am not a newby, i use a 550 and a 1050 for 13 years now, i did had a lot of matches to shoot and not enough time to set up the press correctly. Now i have time to check and doublecheck.

Check the stamped steel loaded cartridge chute/bracket, make sure it isn't catching the underside of the platform, preventing completion of the handle stroke.

I had this problem with mine. Had to bend it slightly to stop it catching.

It falls from the casefeder in the tube, the problem to feed happens when the brass are supose to come out of the tube, sometimes it doesn’t get pushed far enough out of the the tube and goes back in the tube.

Thanks for your help so far!

Best regards Patrick

I don't understand this statement at all. What is happening?

It falls from the casefeder in the tube, the problem to feed happens when the brass are supose to come out of the tube, sometimes it doesn’t get pushed far enough out of the the tube and goes back in the tube

Make sure your case insert slide cam is setup appropriately for the type of rounds you are loading. It is reversible. One side is for pistols, the other side is for rifles. You can read about it on page 37 of your 650 owner's manual.

If necessary you can adjust the camming pin. Instructions are on page 38/39. Go slow, take your time, and learn how the adjustments affect the brass feeding.

If you don't have a hardcopy of the manual available you can download one here:

http://www.dillonhelp.com/manuals/english/Dillon-XL650-Manual-May-2007.pdf

I also place a thin film of Tetra Gun Grease on the rails the slide cam rides upon.

" I also added a bent the spring arm that holds the cases into the priming station slightly so the cases were held more consistently in the shell plate. Before, there was more wiggle than seemed good and I suspect the cases were sometimes not lining up with the primer punch."

Are you saying you bent the arm instead of just adjusting the adjuster screw to set the distance from the shell to .010?

" I also added a bent the spring arm that holds the cases into the priming station slightly so the cases were held more consistently in the shell plate. Before, there was more wiggle than seemed good and I suspect the cases were sometimes not lining up with the primer punch."

Are you saying you bent the arm instead of just adjusting the adjuster screw to set the distance from the shell to .010?

Color me embarrassed, but yes. I didn't realize there was an adjustment screw. I read about bending it slightly in a thread here. It was a very slight bend, that I could undo if needed. I also confirmed there was a replacement in my spare parts kit before proceeding. It works great, but lesson learned I guess.

Color me embarrassed, but yes. I didn't realize there was an adjustment screw. I read about bending it slightly in a thread here. It was a very slight bend, that I could undo if needed. I also confirmed there was a replacement in my spare parts kit before proceeding. It works great, but lesson learned I guess.

Must be in IT--we never read the manuals. :D

The instructions are very clear about how tight (or not tight) that part should be. Going from memory there is supposed to be some slack in the locator arm for station 2.

The instructions are very clear about how tight (or not tight) that part should be. Going from memory there is supposed to be some slack in the locator arm for station 2.

.010 or about the thickness of a business card.

My sincerest recommendation is to go through the manual thoroughly step by step, set everything up properly, fix your arm you bent, and then watch the DVD before you cause yourself a bigger problem.