Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Limited 1x red dot sight reticle question

RAZZ

I know the concensus amongst the top Limited Division shooters is that iron sights are superior to an RDS, but that aside, I have a question. Has anyone tried the EOTech 2-2 reticle for 3-gun. It's a standard reticle(65 moa ring with 1 moa dot in the middle) , but it has a second 1 moa dot below the standard one. The literature claims that the top dot (the normal one in an EOTech reticle) is used for 0 to 200 yards, and the bottom dot can be used past 200. Seems like it might work well if one has chosen to stick with an RDS for Limited. Have any of you tried this model?

Thanks

I shot that setup at the Larue match earlier this year and it worked great. A buddy of mine talked me into shooting limited, I thought he was nuts as we are normally Tac Optics guys, but it worked great. I struggled on the long range stage because of vision issues with my contacts not the RDS, but everything else was a blast to shoot with it.

I'm now toying with shooting a little more limited with that setup.

Probably be better off with a Leupold Prismatic. People have actually won with it. To my knowledge nobody has won limited at a major even shooting any other optic. Just a thought.

I don't know what second place was using but Aimpoint or EoTech optics accounted for first, third and fourth at LaRue this year. I used the EoTech XPS3-2 and wouldn't have done any differently if I had it to do over again.

I used a 100 yard zero and the second dot was on at 460. My only problem was finding the dot spacing information. I called EOTech and couldn't get the person who knew on the phone. Based on my guesstimation at the range with several methods I ended up using 2.75 mils.

Edited by MstngLX50

I don't know what second place was using but Aimpoint or EoTech optics accounted for first, third and fourth at LaRue this year. I used the EoTech XPS3-2 and wouldn't have done any differently if I had it to do over again.

I used a 100 yard zero and the second dot was on at 460. My only problem was finding the dot spacing information. I called EOTech and couldn't get the person who knew on the phone. Based on my guesstimation at the range with several methods I ended up using 2.75 mils.

I

I was 6th at TXMG shooting an Eotec so I know there were a few in the top ten. I have been using the regular circle dot in a xps2-0 but planning on switching to the 2 dots before RM3G.

shane

Probably be better off with a Leupold Prismatic. People have actually won with it. To my knowledge nobody has won limited at a major even shooting any other optic. Just a thought.

I think that rookie Kyle O just won a major match like a month ago...yep, pretty sure of it. :cheers:

I have only shot some of the NRA-TPC 3-gun matches and am currently using and Aimpoint M4 with a 2 MOA dot and it has worked well for me. During practice sessions I have no issue engaging and hitting USPSA/IDPA sized paper targets out to 200yds.

If you're thinking of an EOTech, give our Brownells/EOTech CQB T-Dot a look. Has the big circle and two dots as on the regular 2-2 except the bottom of the circle is "trimmed" a bit around the bottom verticle line at 6:00. Creates a "T" with a bit of space around it. Dead on at 7 yards with my 55 grain XM193s, dot #2 works at 10 yards. Great for the close in stuff. I'm 2" high at 200, 6" low at 300 and still working on where I am beyond that. Retails for $549.

If you're thinking of an EOTech, give our Brownells/EOTech CQB T-Dot a look. Has the big circle and two dots as on the regular 2-2 except the bottom of the circle is "trimmed" a bit around the bottom verticle line at 6:00. Creates a "T" with a bit of space around it. Dead on at 7 yards with my 55 grain XM193s, dot #2 works at 10 yards. Great for the close in stuff. I'm 2" high at 200, 6" low at 300 and still working on where I am beyond that. Retails for $549.

That was actually my first thought, but it is the 'E' model with the riser, and I'm using an HK MR556. With the higher rail height of the HK (piston gun) the extra 7mm of riser in the 'E' model makes it too high to get a good cheek weld. It's funny that this model came out though--for years now we have been teaching all of our students in our LE patrol rifle classes to use the bottom 'tick mark' where it meets the 65 MOA ring for room-distance work. Guess I should have patented that idea years ago :)

Anyway, my new EOTech should be here in a day or. I'm glad more people jumped on this thread, because I was starting to think I was an idiot.

I don't know what second place was using but Aimpoint or EoTech optics accounted for first, third and fourth at LaRue this year.

To be fair - there were 5-10 people who would have been shooting a Pris in limited this year if it weren't for the 3GN Pro-Series... :cheers:

If I go back to limited, I might run an EOTech with flip up BUIS for long range since these days it's mostly run and gun at the popular matches anyways.

Edited by DyNo!

I got a 2nd place at texas with a 2-2, and 1st at Midwest with the same.

I like my Eotech, but I've only ever used Iron sights otherwise, You can go thru the pros and cons of it all, but it really just boils down to what you practice with, and how much.

I guess I'd try a pris, but don't have one, and don't really want to make a change at this point.

If someone donated one to me I reckon I'd try it. :roflol: