Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

MG 115 grain JHP w/ 9.8 grains HS-6

Brent D

As a result of a previous post by Matt Price, I was anxious to try out the load he was exited about. I too am running a Trubor barrel with a T-2 comp on my gun built by Jojo Vidanes. I am currently running the same load Matt was using, with the exception of a different bullet.

MG 124gr JHP

7.3gr of Autocomp

Federal Primer with mixed brass

OAL 1.165"

Gets me to an average of 1400 FPS or PF 173

Loaded the following:

MG 115gr JHP

9.6gr of HS-6

Federal Primer with mixed brass

OAL 1.165"

Av FPS 1475 or PF 170

Matt got a PF of 175 at this load. I don't know if my particular barrel is slower or the bullet I am using is different than what he tested. I liked the load, but want to push it to 175 PF as he mentioned the gun really flattened out as he pushed the HS-6 to a PF of 175. I loaded up some at 9.8gr and will chrono this week. I intend to look closely for pressure signs. One thing I noticed was that the RO commented on how loud my gun was with this new load as it is obviously hotter than my Autocomp load with 124gr bullet. I was talking with Jojo about the load and he commented that if I wanted to continue running it we should up the recoil spring. I am currently running a 8lb wolff variable. I intend to try a 10lb spring. Anyone running this load and if so what recoil spring are you running? Thanks.

Hello: I run Hodgdon HS-6 in my 5" using Montana Gold 115grain JHP's. It has a Schuemann barrel but only takes 9 grains to make 173PF and checked with 3 different chronos. At 8.9 grains it is 171PF. You may want to check your chrono since the Tru Bor is usually a faster barrel. Yes, HS-6 is a loud powder with lots of gas :cheers: Thanks, Eric

Yep my gun is pretty loud to those around me. I don't notice it all. I got the 175 with fmj Rn bullets sits deeper in the case i bet if I was using 115 jhp I would have to bump also. Also since I put the three popple holes the bbl I am getting 173 out the 9 major gun

I load 9.9 grains in my 38 super with the same load big 4 port hybracomp and huge old style dawsomss comp and get 175-177.

Turbor bbls just seem slow. I always need 2-3 tenths more than what ever one else is using.

Bump it up watch for primer flow. And for sure!!!! Up that spring this load will expose any small cracks anyplace in the gun. It's violent on the gun but man soooooo soft and flat. Do you have holes?

ohhh one other thing brent, I just caught it. You are using federal Small pistol primers yes? Switch to wolf or winchester small rifle primers they are much cheaper one and two you may not be burning all the powder in the case using the spp. it is a misconception of people to think us open shooters use srp to mask pressure signs. It is to get a more complete burn. You could also you spmagnum but they are more expensive so I just use the regular wolf/tula srp. NOT the .223 they are to hard to pop off with a 17lb main spring.

Edited by Mat Price

Brent let me buy 100 projectiles from you and we can compare results

Hi Matt. Thanks so much for the great info and in answer to your question, no holes in my barrel. I would be happy to send you 100 MG JHP. I'd really love to compare chrono's with the same barrel/comp and load. I'd be willing to just have you pick up the shipping costs and nothing else. Let me know the best way to work this out. Also, what recoil spring are you running with this load?

My email is Deever.depuy@cox.net

Brent

Once fired brass for those loads, right?

Oh ya! I've been getting my brass from brassmanbrass.com. I've been very happy with the quality of his brass.

Hi Hiro. Didn't realize that was you. I heard you are running 115 as well. Edrick was telling me this weekend.

I always pick up all my practice brass and leave my 9 major match brass lay. I trade my production buddies my twice fired major brass for there once fired minor brass. usually 2 to 1. its fine to load until it splits in minor. But with this load i wouldnt shoot more than 2 or 3 times and toss it. My super i load it till the case mouth splits open.

Just one thing though brent remember I am runing 9.9 grains of hs-6 behind a 115 in my .38 super comp gun @ 1.235-1.240 and getting 175 pf. So be very careful. I sent you an email as soon as get some from you and i get my guns back from my gunsmith. I will chrony them up.

PS i am also trying out imr 4756 and a 124. I dont think I will get enough in 9 to make major commfy like but i already like it in my super.

Hi Brent.

Back in the day I had the older TRuBor with smaller S-1 comp. I had to use 9.3-9.4 grains of HS6 with a 115 at 1.165 to make around 175. If you have the bigger S-2 comp I would assume you are correct in needing a bit more to get there. Despite what some say the STI compensator is highly effective and shoots well with the combination of a 115,HS6, a 9lb spring, and a heavy factory stock slide.

Good luck with your testing and be safe.

Rob

I have been using 115gr Zero Conical JHPs with 8.5gr HS6 at 1.140 and a Fed Small Rifle Primer for a 175PF. This is in a Schuemann 5.4" barrel with no holes and a Thundercomp. I was getting a jam about 1/100 rounds, so I loaded up some Montana Gold 115 JHPs last night to try. I really hope these work. The gun feels 100X better with 115s than 124s.

Desmond who built the gun? Sounds silly but I run all my guns with mpro 7 sliming off them when I shoot never have an issue. What kind of malfunction are you having ftf? Fte? Nose dives give me some info and lets see of we can get right before you have issues the mg

I always pick up all my practice brass and leave my 9 major match brass lay. I trade my production buddies my twice fired major brass for there once fired minor brass. usually 2 to 1. its fine to load until it splits in minor. But with this load i wouldnt shoot more than 2 or 3 times and toss it. My super i load it till the case mouth splits open.

Just one thing though brent remember I am runing 9.9 grains of hs-6 behind a 115 in my .38 super comp gun @ 1.235-1.240 and getting 175 pf. So be very careful. I sent you an email as soon as get some from you and i get my guns back from my gunsmith. I will chrony them up.

PS i am also trying out imr 4756 and a 124. I dont think I will get enough in 9 to make major commfy like but i already like it in my super.

4756 will not make major in 9.

4756 will make Major in 9mm. Used to get 1432fps with a 130gr WW super bullet (.356) in a 17L Glock when they first came out. Was loaded as long as would work in the mags and pretty highly compressed.

Bobby at FGW built the gun. Let me start by saying I have NEVER had a single jam when using 124 CMJs. I emailed Bobby about the problem...within 20 minutes he had responded saying he just ordered a few thousand of the Zeros and will try to duplicate the problem so he can figure out a solution. You just can't beat that kind of service. About 1 in every 100 rounds I will have a round jam into the top of the chamber. If I pull back on the slide slightly and push down on the round, it chambers and fires. I loaded up some MG 115 JHPs last night to try...hopefully they work.

I run the gun with Slide Glide Lite on the frame rails and 0W-20 Synthetic Oil everywhere else.

desmond your aol seems a little bit short for an sti mag. The first thing i would do is increase your oal to around 1.165-1.170 if they will will fit in the mag and not rub These guns like to be run with longer oals. Now I can tell you bobby makes a quality gun. and the slide to frame fit is going to be top noth. I would try making sure your not running dry on the slide at all. and that your chamber is clean clean. Hs-6 even at 175 is still kinda dirty I keep a chamber brush and some bore solvent with me all the time after about every 100-150 rounds I just pop the barrel out and give it a quick scrub. also what weight spring are you running?

and does your malfunction look like this?

jam2jpeg.jpg

That is the exact jam that I am having. I cannot run the ammo any longer than 1.140" without contacting the rifling. With CMJs, I can load to 1.170", but not with JHPs. I run the gun fairly wet, but not dripping. I am running an 8lb spring from Sprinco. I tried 9 and 10lb springs, but I prefer the dot movement with the 8lb.

ok here is the a couple.

1 If your slide has been lightened that 8 lb spring sometimes is not enough to pull the round fully off the mag and get it in the chamber.

2 If you are using an upright ( not 90 degree mount) sometimes even though the brass clears the mount its slow and interferes with the next round coming up

3 have you made any adjustments to your extractor? To much extractor tension will for sure cause this jam.

4. if this happens on the last or last couple rounds it could be mag spring tension

If you find that you really like the 115 mtg you can have bobby open the throat up some on that bbl and it should be fine barring none of the other problems above are present and it is just a profile issue.