Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Minor Lead Loads in Glock .40

GuyC

I will be loading up 180gn minor loads for a Glock. Before I buy an after-market barrel I was wanting to know if anyone has used the original barrel for these kinds of loads. It will probably be around 800fps.

In my 2011 I ran these same bullets at 975 with out any leading in the barrel.

What do you think? Should I just go ahead and order the barrel or try it out?

Not exactly what you're looking for, but I sometimes run 9mm 147 gr LRN in my G19 and G34 with no leading in the stock barrels. The velocity is around 900 fps using solo 1000.

I do clean the bore every 1,000 rounds by running a piece of stainless steel chore boy through the barrel. I condition the barrel first by running the chore boy through the barrel a few times. I do this with all my new barrels, it polishes them smooth and removes any machining debris. Got the idea years ago from a gunsmith named Jack Fuselier.

• 2 weeks later...

I have shot the lead cast 147 gr. bullets thru my G34. In my opinion they are not worth the savings. I can buy plated bullets for about $20 more per thousand. The cast bullets were so smoky no matter what powder I tried that I couldn't hardly see the arrays after 5 or 6 shots. Also, my chamber gets clogged with the case lube and the rounds wouldn't fit into the chamber. This was only after 4-500 rounds.

Only way to know is to try it. I wouldn't buy a inferior barrel if the Glock one shoots lead just fine. Most barrels are not as good as the Glock Barrel. I have a KKM and it seems to be very good and shoots lead just fine. Can run K's or rounds with out cleaning if I am so inclined.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got to test some lead loads in my factory 2nd Gen G22. Load was a 180gr Missouri bullet with 3.0gr of clays loaded to 1.125oal. They were very accurate with little to no muzzle flip, but there was leading within 100 rounds and I noticed one split case. I like the load, but will be buying a lone wolf barrel. For me it is just one less thing to worry about when shooting.