Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm open Tanfoglio

cpa5oh

If you are a guy looking to get an open gun, and you tend to like EAA and CZ products, how far away from having a highly competitive open gun if you bought a Gold Team? $1,800 for the gun...is it just a sight (and of course mags and holster) that you need and you're ready to run? Looking to have an open gun in 9mm that can shoot major and minor with just a little bit of change over. I understand the STI's are in the $4K range with sight...didn't know if the Tanfoglio's end up in that same neighborhood once you get everything you need to run competitively.

Never shot a nine but I hear they r hard to get working. Why not 38 super?

A tamfoglio will be less$ all said and done compaired to a sti.

The new mags pretty much solved the feeding issues. :)

38 super, as I understand it, is alot more expensive to load for...mainly because of the brass (9mm brass is very plentiful.)

on the surface that is true, but depending on your habits of shooting and reloading, it might not be. Do some searches in either the Open gun area or 9mm reloading area, you'll find some interesting facts about what is actually cheaper

good luck

• 4 weeks later...

Yes, it depends on your shooting and reloading habits. I was at one time looking into converting my 38SC to 9 major because of the cost of brass. I heard about issues with 9 major on EAA conversion. Don't want to mess with something that already works, just have to live with the cost difference.

38 super, as I understand it, is alot more expensive to load for...mainly because of the brass (9mm brass is very plentiful.)

on the surface that is true, but depending on your habits of shooting and reloading, it might not be. Do some searches in either the Open gun area or 9mm reloading area, you'll find some interesting facts about what is actually cheaper

good luck

Well, I just ordered one in .38 Super. I'm the same way as the OP, love my CZs, but the Czechmate is still a bit too rich for my blood right now. I almost went with 9mm too, since I already have a stock pile of components and load data for that cartridge. But, went with the .38 Super cause, hey, it's a Open Race Gun, .38 Super works too dang well for that role!

You can have your poision and eat it to. There is a very nice Caspian 9mm/38 Super open gun with mags for sale in the Classified with Mags. It runs, see the video. At $1400 you can find out if you are an open shooter, with no fear of it costing you much you can always resell it and get your money back.

I've owned a Silver Team and a Gold Team, as well as several STI's, SVI's. I liked my Gold Team but it didn't fit me so I let it go. The major difference in a Gold team to S_I is the Weight, the Gold Team is a Bertha butt, so the Caspian being a bit heavier is a good fit.

But as a 38SC guy that went 9 major, it costs more to shoot 9 major as you reload once fired brass once and let it go. With 38SC you load it till it splits or about 20+ times. 38S is has a lot more load options, which mean you can make just about any gun shoot well, the 9 major has few powder options.

Good Luck.