Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Any Rotary Pilots on the boards?

So, I'm starting to get my ground certification for rotary aircraft and wanted to know if there are any pilot's (rotary or otherwise) that can offer some advice so that I can rip through the academics as fast as possible. Time is a huge factor (I don't want to say why), so any info is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Rich

B)

Flew way back in the mid 80's and was multi engine rated...then partners on an old Piper Apache, but it got too expensive for me to keep after it and let it lapse... My bud still flys, has an old but pristine Mooney 205 he flys on the weekends...

Good luck with it. ;)

I'm like tightloop, I flew in the mid to late 80's. Got too expensive and had to give it up. Only licenced for single engine but I loved it.

I studied all my ground school stuff on my own. I used the money for class time on air time so I had to get it from the books. I had a ground school book and workbook and studied from them.

Good luck,

dj

I've never flown anything with wobbling wings as other than a passenger, but I hold commercial, multi and instrument ratings in the more static winged view of the world :P

My suggestion: Since the FAA knowledge exams bear very little relevence to real world flying, just grab either the books or videos that give you the info necessary to pass the test. And then spend serious time and effort studying the things that actually matter to real world flying. I used the King videos and did "pretty OK" on all the knowldege tests I took :P

If you learn at even an average rate (and I assume you are way above that :rolleyes:) a formal ground school will drive you nuts and waste enormous amounts of time.

If I can be of any help, let me know,

Kevin

USCBigDawg,

I too took mine in the 80's (PPL SEL & Glider) which at that time was scan-tron style. Now, the tests are computer based and scorable on the spot, I believe.

A co-worker took his PPL a few years back and he had some practice tests on his PC that really helped him.

From what I remember, the most important aspect was to learn how the FAA asks the questions. Some anwsers may be prefectly acceptable but one is more right than the others.

• 3 weeks later...

Attention! Attention! All northern California residents, be afraid for your lives as I am now flying helicopters, several times a week!

Did my first flight on Saturday after a couple of days of ground/theory and had my second flight yesterday (conveniently to the hospital where my father is at).

In two words: BAD ASS!!!

I do know now why more people wimp out and fly fixed wing vs. rotor now though. Whew! It's a full time job flying one of these things. Both hands, both feet, head on a swivel watching everything! SWEEEEEEEEET!!!

Rich

I took about four years off from IPSC and learned to fly airplanes (PPL SEL).

Great fun to zip down to the coast or South Padre Island for the weekend. $100 hamburgers and all that.

Now I'm back in to IPSC and only occasionally fly as a safetly pilot for a friend who needs to keep his IFR rating current.

As for the test, I got the videos from Sporty's and a computer test on CD which I practiced over and over. I highly recommend the test on CD as it looks exactly like the FAA exam you'll be taking for the real thing.

Also, I got a really good flight simulation program called FLY2K and a USB joystick to practice on my Mac at home.

Have fun with it. It you're like most people, the most exciting flight time you will ever get is during your training.

-Chet

Have fun with it. It you're like most people, the most exciting flight time you will ever get is during your training.

Better not be. My packet for Warrant Officer Flight Training goes to the Army in 3 weeks and I'm pretty sure I'll have more interesting flights than training, if accepted into the program.

Thanks for the info. My instructor(s) are great and are working for the RIGHT price (we're trading services).

Keep your eyes up, 'cause I'm coming! :ph34r:

Rich

Better not be. My packet for Warrant Officer Flight Training goes to the Army in 3 weeks and I'm pretty sure I'll have more interesting flights than training, if accepted into the program.

Heeheheheh... Ah, yes. Well, that's another story, then! ;)

-Chet

• 2 months later...

Hi, I am new to this board but I have been a rotary/fixed wing pilot for over 30 years. (Civilian fixed wing and military rotary wing trained). The military is still the best place to obtain the experience, certificates and ratings needed to fly for a living. With that said, you can obtain the training via the civilian route but it is expensive and takes a while.

I have trained civilian pilots at the initial level who have gone on to work in the business. They make it because of their determination and perseverance. Believe me, you need a lot of both besides the money. Some guys have taken seconds on their homes, sold their homes, etc. to finance the training. Just to obtain a commercial certificate in rotary wing (all r/w) costs over $50,000! Getting a job after receiving the certificate is part luck, part skill and part flexibility to go anywhere at any time to obtain the experience.

I now have over 10.000 hours in helos and have enjoyed a very rewarding career in public safety aviation. It has allowed me to enjoy my other passion, recreational shooting and collecting historic firearms.

Good luck and Go Army Aviation! Above the Best!

mcshort,

Thanks for the info and words of encouragement. I've acquired about 150 hours and it's been great. My Chief Instructor and my primary instructor are writing me letters of recommendation for my packet.

Doing my first auto-rotation was pretty interesting, but when I stayed calm and just did what my training told me to do, it went off without a hitch (or as much as falling like a rock in the sky at 900 fpm can go smoothly).

I've loved my civilian training and know that if I keep my head on straight that I should be in with Army Aviation, probably within a year or so.

Rich