Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

550 with the powder check?

Hey guys,

I've been doing a bunch of reading on the 550 vs 650, both here in the forums and on the Dillon section of this website. As a brand new re-loader, I'm scared of the dreaded double charge and having the availability of the powder check on the 650 sounds like a plus. I have an uncle who re-loads on a RCBS progressive system and actually prefers to hand prime the cases as opposed to doing it on the press (I think I have that right).

If you chose to hand prime, thus removing this from one of the stages on the 550, could you use a powder check in its place?

Thanks in advance!

That would be a good question to ask dillon. Give them a call they are very helpful.

Toll Free 800-762-3845. I load on a Dillon SDB. The best powder check is you. I mounted a small LED light so that it would shine into the case with powder. Every time I set a bullet in the case I am also looking for the powder level in the case. It takes no extra time.

Try to sit or stand so you can see the powder in station three before placing the bullet. Put a light in that area to help. Pulling out a die for auto loads takes away from the quality of the ammo you produce.

Hey guys,

I've been doing a bunch of reading on the 550 vs 650, both here in the forums and on the Dillon section of this website. As a brand new re-loader, I'm scared of the dreaded double charge and having the availability of the powder check on the 650 sounds like a plus. I have an uncle who re-loads on a RCBS progressive system and actually prefers to hand prime the cases as opposed to doing it on the press (I think I have that right).

If you chose to hand prime, thus removing this from one of the stages on the 550, could you use a powder check in its place?

Thanks in advance!

That wouldn't work, because the priming is done in station one, where the re-size die is (essential).

heckofagator -

My CAS buddy had one of our club members mill out a 550 toolhead so he could use the Dillon powder checker on station 3 (the powder drops on station 2 - can't change that). It worked, but he had to seat AND crimp on station 4. He no longer uses it as it is easier to visually check the powder (putting the bullet on the case at station 4 is a PIA - or - if you place the bullet on at station 3 after the powder checker has done its thing and thumb it over to station 4 it may fall out). I tried using an RCBS powder checker on station 3, but quit for the above stated reason.

I have never used a 650, but know some guys buy it for the fifth station/powder check capability.

Cheers -

OVW

Thanks for the responses everyone. It was worth a shot.

Did some more reading on this topic and it does appear that it's not an issue to keep your eye on it with a nice light source. I think I'll gladly take a slight hit on the rounds/hour number for that procedure. I also saw mention that you can use a powder with more volume so you'd notice a double charge right away. I like that idea too.

Haven't ruled out the 650, as a lot of people seem to have been ok with it as their first press. But from alot that I read, I think the 550 would fit me pretty nice.

Brian, I think I even remember reading that you had the powder check and didn't even take it out of the packaging? Or maybe that was another item - I can't remember. Info overload!

Brian, I think I even remember reading that you had the powder check and didn't even take it out of the packaging?

Not sure if it was Brian or not but a powder check is just a crutch for less than optimum reloading issues such as lots of light and being up high enough to look into every round. And it won't slow you down one bit once you get the hang of it.

If somebody gave me a powder check die I would not open it either.

Brian, I think I even remember reading that you had the powder check and didn't even take it out of the packaging? Or maybe that was another item - I can't remember. Info overload!

That is what I said, I think maybe in my Dillon FAQs. To me they are just one more thing to always be fiddling with. Not only every time you change calibers, but also every time you change the powder / charge. Train yourself to look right at the case. You will load a bit quicker by doing that; you will more accurately set the bullet on the next case, because you are precisely directing your movements with your eyes.

be

Brian, I think I even remember reading that you had the powder check and didn't even take it out of the packaging?

Not sure if it was Brian or not but a powder check is just a crutch for less than optimum reloading issues such as lots of light and being up high enough to look into every round. And it won't slow you down one bit once you get the hang of it.

If somebody gave me a powder check die I would not open it either.

+1.

Now if you want a really useless gadget, get a powder level alarm for your hopper. :D