Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Acc-U-Railed frame Q&A & other frame related questions

818-DVC

3 questions.

If I have a frame drilled for Acc-U-Rails, and I build a new top end for it, can I still use the frame without the rails or will the holes screw everything up?

Next question. If I send the Frame to STI, can I get it replaced for a fee with the orig serial to start from scratch. Being a Californian, this 1 of few options for me to build a new gun.

Being that STI don't ship to CA anymore, will they ship to an existing customer in CA with matching serials?

Thanks,

JL

1) Can I run a framed that's been Accurailed without rails to a new top end, or will the holes screw me up?

2) If I send the frame to STI, for a nominal fee, would they replace the frame with existing serial, and send it back to CA??

See my issue? Scratching my head right now.

Thanks

JL

The holes in your frame would be the least of your problems. Send the frame and new slide to Doug and have the slide cut for the rails. I believe he charges $150 to cut the slide plus shipping.

I don't know if STI would do that but it would seem to me that having the slide cut would be cheaper. If you were to get a new frame, the slide and frame would have to be fitted anyway. By the time you spent the money for a new frame and the fitting it would be a lot more than what Doug would charge.

It's not that I don't like the rails. I would add rails to an older gun that was loose, but that isn't the case with this newer frame. I have had other 2011's run as tight and smooth as the day I bought them for 1000s of rounds fired through them.

Instead of building a new top end and having Doug cut the slide, I would like to start from scratch without incurring the additional costs. Also, I feel it is a harder sell in the long run as rails (to me) imply a gun that loosened up a bit due to age and high round count.

Anyone know if STI will replace the frame for a fee?

Thanks,

JL

I wouldnt think STI will replace the frame, that is not a warrenty issue. There is more involved than the holes drilled for the rails, material was removed to make room for the rails. The only way that frame is going to work is to have a new slide fitted to it just the way it is. Doug can fit a new slide and new rails and produce a really good pistol out of it. I dont care for rails just for this very reason, once you have them you are stuck with them forever. But there are a lot of guns out there that have them and they do work.-----------Larry

3 questions.

If I have a frame drilled for Acc-U-Rails, and I build a new top end for it, can I still use the frame without the rails or will the holes screw everything up?

Next question. If I send the Frame to STI, can I get it replaced for a fee with the orig serial to start from scratch. Being a Californian, this 1 of few options for me to build a new gun.

Being that STI don't ship to CA anymore, will they ship to an existing customer in CA with matching serials?

Thanks,

JL

The new slide needs to be cut for rails. Doug Jones is the one to contact.

When I have a gun built, I have the rails installed on a brand new frame and slide. I want my slide to frame fit tight and they remain tight for the life of the gun.

Unless you are going to install the new top end yourself, there is no way that just having the slide cut for rails will be more expensive. STI may or may not be able to put your serial number on a new frame. You will have to send in the old frame so that it can be destroyed and they will charge you for a new frame. Then the new frame and slide will have to be fit.

I completely understand the process. I personally don't care for the rails. To me, they are for guns that werent fit properly to begin with. While the frame keys on STI frames tend to be a little out of spec in comparisson to an old TRI or SV frame, it doesn't require a whole lot of indicating & recessing on a mill to fit both the slide & frame to tolerances as tight as an accurailed gun. Additionally, Accurails do break. I've seen it, and I don't need anything added to the gun to go wrong. This is just my opinion, and you are more than welcome to yours. Cheers

JL

Okay. I've never had a problem with them. Been using them for over 12 years and have yet to break one.

My gunsmith certainly has no problems doing slide to frame fits. Rails are just easier and I like the feel. My current Cup gun will put 6 shots at 50 yards in a group smaller than a nickel.

To each their own. I don't care for them. That's just me & 90% of shooters out there. Rails are easier. I prefer no rails. This really isnt a discussion on whether or not to run them. This is ultimately up to me. I asked if the holes interfere with the operation without the rails, And if STI replaces frames at a price. I would like to stay on topic. Cheers

JL

Hello: Give STI a call and see what they say. If they will replace the frame with a new one then you are stuck with a slide setup that can't be used on your new frame. I don't know the legal way to get a frame in your state but that may be an easier option to get one from a gunsmith or ? Thanks, Eric

Like I said earlier, the holes are the least of your problem. Get a new slide and install it on the frame. It will go on with a bunch of slop. Once a frame has been cut for rails it has to have rails. The only thing that you can do is to contact STI and see what they can do. I guess you could have someone weld up the frame and re-cut the rails.