Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Big, freakin', magwells

Flexmoney

I don't know that I hate them...

Seems to me that if you are "looking the mag in", like your suppose to do, then you don't need them.

My gripe comes from the EGW magwells on my Caspian Open guns (they have a decent magwell built in).    These magwells look like somebody tried to stipple them.  I wonder what that does to the lips of the magazines???  

I cannot address the Caspian magwells, but having shot when all you got was the edge broken with a file, a big mag well is a huge improvement.  I have seen Tommy Campbell and Mike Dalton fumble a mag change at the Nationals due to lack of big mag wells.  When that happened, I don't think either of them was thinking  about how it was effecting the lips on their mags.

If your mag well opening is rough, smooth it with some crocus cloth on a slotted mandrel in your drill.

I think big magwells are for wussies.

cheesy.gif

Furthermore...if a shooter fumbles a reload it is becasue he/she wasn't paying attention...likely trying to go too fast.

(if I sound a bit gruff...well, it is my "hate" thread")

Kyle

What did a big magwell do to you? I think if its an advantage for you on a racegun then go for it. Its racing.

Although I would not have one on my carry gun. I feel if you are in a gunfight and have to reload then you are in a "world of sh--" and skills, tactics, whatever don't matter. Its probably luck by then and whatever happens happens. reloading .10 faster probably won't help.

Not trying to argue. Just my 2 cents. I use a Krebs one of the smallest

tightloop,

Just givin' ya a hard time for pissin' on my fire.  

Bartman.gif

I actually think the magwells are a fine idea.  The guy that had my guns before me though...he really abused them.  I just can't see missing the hole that much...that often.

Makes me wonder how fast a reload goes if you get it just right...nothing but net. (In comparison to beating the thing in there.)

I agree. "Nothin but net" is the definition of a perfect reload. The mag well is for imperfect reloads.

If you can reload below 1 sec you are on T Jarrets level. He never even used a big stick for years. He does now but still reloads real fast. He changed all of our techniques years ago.

Maybe the guy that owned those guns was cross-eyed?

If you are genuinely worried about the effect of big metal mag wells on your mag lips, try (if available for Caspain? don't know) a plastic one like from Krebbs, King, or others.... the side benfit to being softer on your mags, is that they ae very forgiving and "greasier" as you slide the mag into the well..... (thats why Dawson puts plastic in his "Ice" magwells now)...

Bill,

When you and I stood in the rain, and failing daylight, and watched the big-dogs duke it out on that final stage in last year's Limited Nationals...I could have swore I saw TGO miss his reload.  There was a flash of metal that didn't seem to be in the right place at the right time.  Then I saw TJ do the same thing...and I realized what I had seen.  They both had there reload mag at the gun...waiting...waiting...waiting...for the mag to drop out.

(Steve Anderson...BTW, they were moving while reloading.  Big Time.)

Yea they are real fast. Its perfect technique done real fast. I wish I had film of them. Especially shooting same stages that I shoot. The condition were horrible on that stage also. Dark and pouring rain. Next big match take a look at Todds magwell. Its pretty beat up. Not as bad as yours but he has been known to do a few reloads dryfiring ;)

You have to wonder what is the sequence of events, when they are ready to do a mag change.  Do they reach for the spare mag B4 they eject the empty, or do they eject and then reach for the spare, or do they do it simultaneously?  Might make a difference in what you are seeing.

Without asking directly, I don't think you could tell, it happens so fast.

I'm with Kyle and Brian. Those things are sort of like bowling lanes with bumpers.

A few times last month in Barry I saw Travis have his full mag a few inches from the mag well while the other one was dropping, inches away from the mag well.