Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Grip Strength training

MattYvip

I usually use a dumbbell. What ever wait you can tolerate, holding it with two hands, like when shooting, and holding up there as long as you can tolerate or until you get tired. You can also swing it around like when shooting/pointing/moving in different directions, this way it builds shooting muscle strength and memory. Good luck:)

does using the CoC help any if you have tendinitis

Help in what way? Does it improve grip strength or tendinitis?

Working out will improve muscle mass, tedinitus or not.

If you have tendinitus, I recommend seeing your doctor before you begin working out.. I say this because, tendons take a LONG TIME to heal and working out may prolong recovery - why risk it?

A while back, I decided to improve my grip strength, over did it, and now have tenosynovitis.. It sucks...

Good luck in whatever you decide to do.

Dead lifts, heavy ass weight, no straps.

Your grip will increase without a doubt.

:rolleyes: Yes your grip will increase dynamically. However, that was the way I was able to add the phrase "Herniated discs" to my ever increasing list of physical challenges.

It's important that regardless of what we do to add strength, we do it using proper form, technique, instruction and respect for our current level. Using weight that are "way" too heavy is a complete recipe for disaster. :huh:

Someone once told me that most, if not all men think that they are experts at: Driving, Sex and Shooting. I think we can add weight lifting to that list as well. Seek the advice of a trainer before jumping into "serious" weight lifting.

I appreciate all the imput gents! I do deadlift (what I consider "heavy ass weights" which is probably a warm up weight to most of yall), and I do a lot of Kettlebell work. I have noticed my grip get alot stronger and with it quite a bit more recoil control. My only problem is I have little girl sized hands so it takes a little more strength for me to control the recoil than those of you with big mits. Thanks again and keep the advice coming!

The deadlift is a terrific exercise but obviously does not isolate the grip. It's possible to become a strong enough in certain weightlifting exercises that the grip becomes the weak link, in which case targetted grip training can help.

In my case, I can't deadlift anywhere near enough to make it an issue! "Used t'could", as many men say of their capabilities in their younger days.

The deadlift is a terrific exercise but obviously does not isolate the grip.

I hear you there! I don't just deadlift (though it's one of my favorite exercises)I usually do a CrossFit workout 4-6 times a week and they like to throw in deadlifts there (though most aren't too heavy).

Also I like what you said about grip being the weak link. I had that problem in college when I was lifting constantly. It was sad that I had to use straps to deadlift anything over 225.

That is not the case now but I'm older and wiser (well older anyway).

• 4 weeks later...

Dead lifts, heavy ass weight, no straps.

Your grip will increase without a doubt.

:rolleyes: Yes your grip will increase dynamically. However, that was the way I was able to add the phrase "Herniated discs" to my ever increasing list of physical challenges.

It's important that regardless of what we do to add strength, we do it using proper form, technique, instruction and respect for our current level. Using weight that are "way" too heavy is a complete recipe for disaster. :huh:

Someone once told me that most, if not all men think that they are experts at: Driving, Sex and Shooting. I think we can add weight lifting to that list as well. Seek the advice of a trainer before jumping into "serious" weight lifting.

:rolleyes:

When I say heavy ass weight, common sense is "heavy ass weight that you can do with proper form." Heavy ass weight is all relative to the person lifting it. Heavy weight for me is 465lbs with strict form for reps. For a new lifter, that could very well mean 135 (bar and 2 45 plates). Heavy = challenging for that person.

If you herniated discs, you used too much weight to keep proper form. The could be said for any exercise. You use bad form, you jack yourself up. Period. That doesn't take away from the fact that heavy pulling movements (let me reiterate once again, heavy that still allow proper form) will contribute to gains in functional grip strength.

And the word "trainer" can be taken with a grain of salt. It is hard to find a good trainer worth his/her salt these days. Too many wannabes who passed some book test who really don't know shit or haven't lived it. Walk in to any commercial gym and see people designated as trainers who have no idea what the hell they are doing.

I recommend compound movements so that people do not develop imbalances. The body is a system. Do I do specific isolation movements? Yea, but only after I have murdered that body part with a good compound movement. Increase grip only? Or also increase over all strength by hitting lower spinae erectors, hams, forearms, etc. You decide. I'll take the latter approach.

Edited by JaeOne3345

I appreciate all the imput gents! I do deadlift (what I consider "heavy ass weights" which is probably a warm up weight to most of yall), and I do a lot of Kettlebell work. I have noticed my grip get alot stronger and with it quite a bit more recoil control. My only problem is I have little girl sized hands so it takes a little more strength for me to control the recoil than those of you with big mits. Thanks again and keep the advice coming!

The size of your hands is no excuse. Keep training. I am a little guy.

I admit I do compete. But I am 5'4 at 142 lbs. My deadlift is currently at 455 for reps, legs barely wider than shoulder width apart. Not spread out like a power lifter.

It took me a long time to get there. But I kept at it. That is without the use of any crutch devices such as straps.

You can do it, man. Keep it up. :)

I am using the #1 COC. I did hurt my hand with it by skipping a warm up, but I am back into it now. It has made a difference in my shooting- and it has helped me get my deadlift up! My hands were always giving out before my legs and back.

Looking forward to closing the 2.