Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Question for anyone reloading 125g lead ammo for Glocks

Nimitz

I'm considering switching from FMJ 125g ammo to lead for use with my Glock 34 due to the number of rounds/week I'm sending down range to help reduce costs. Right now I'm at .18/rd. While doing the research about the acceptability of shooting lead with a Glock, several posters were reporting costs around .08/.10/rd. I did some quick research & math and once shipping prices are factored in I couldn't seem to get below about .15-.16/rd. What am i missing here? Can anyone who is currently reloading lead ammo for Glocks chim in with what your per/rd costs are & what you are using? Thx!

I am at

Brass = Free

Primer = .02

powder = .01

bullet = .07

That is using FMJ bullets, well now the bullets cost .085 each. What on earth are you reloading with? I can reload .45 with FMJ's for .18 a round.

I actually have a co-worker who reloads for me at his cost only. I just found out that he bought a large quantity of brass to get started so his .18/rd includes brass. (Now I understand why he says "I don't need brass right now, I have a ton of it ...") I have all the free brass you could ever want & he says the price will drop once he's recovered the cost of the initial brass (he's reloading for others as well).

My quick research found Montana Gold 124g FMJ 9mm for $317/3750 so that's 8.5 cents/rd for bullets; powder was about 1.25 cents/rd & primers at 4.5 cents/rd (buying 3000) so I'll need to figure that one out since you guys seem to be at half that.

Would you all mine letting me know where you get your bullets, powder & primers from? If I could get to .10/rd I'd probably stay with FMJs. My relaoder says he'll reload whatever I want if I want to supply him the stuff ... thx.

I purchased a few cases of those bullets back before the price jump so it was a little cheaper, I estimate my powder to be at .01 and primers about .02, I'm just over .10 cents but I rounded it an even number. You also might want to check with Manny Bragg to see if he is offering any further discounts on MG bullets.

Your primer cost seems high, which ones are you buying and from where?

One other way to save a little to is if you can find friends to go in with you and buy even a larger quantity. If you have your primers and powder shipped in, having friends share the HAZMAT fee helps too. Or find a local place to pick them up if possible.

Another option is to go with the Bayou Bullets. They are better than lead/moly and they are less expensive than CMJ/JHP bullets. That will definitely get your costs down to .09 or .10 cents for sure.

I use CCI,Federal,Winchester and Tula primers, and I average about .02c a primer, some are .022, some are .015, but if you are buying 3k primers and paying double (or triple) that is crazy. I don't buy primers less than 20k at a time, but I often split that lot with friends. Last order I think we ordered 40k or so, really takes the sting out of haz mat fees when you spread it out over 40k.

for those using Bayou Bullets what powder are you using? Also, I'm about to put a lightened striker spring in my G34, do I need to stick with Federal primers or can I use ones like Tula or Winchester or CCI primers?

looks like I'll need to stick with Federal primers. Anyone want to chime in about and differences between WST, Solo 1000 or Clays for a powder slection shooting lead?

• 3 weeks later...

load lead for my G34 practice bullets. I get the cost to $1.26/box 50. BTW - I cast them from WW's. Tumble lube them with the Alox/JPW mix. Smoke and lead but clean after every 300 with a chore boy.

Another option is to go with the Bayou Bullets. They are better than lead/moly and they are less expensive than CMJ/JHP bullets. That will definitely get your costs down to .09 or .10 cents for sure.

I am assuming these Bayou Bullets are just Lead? Wonder what the "proprietary coating" is? Are they cleaner than typical lead bullets as far as leading the barrel goes? Yes, I shoot Glocks (and Berettas), I haven't shot lead out of my Glocks yet but I am tempted. Thanks.

frange, you say you cast bullets fro, wheel weights? I have heard that all wheel weights are now made out of stell, do you know anything about that. I used to do the same thing but haven't done it since moving to Florida. Let me know if you discover this to be true.

yep, they started using zinc and steel, but I have a couple hnundred pounds. Ibike ride so I pick up quite a few on the road at stop lights. I just ordered 5000 from missiouri, casting bullets takes a while. I cast shotgun slugs, .357/.38, and .45 too.

Reclaimed lead shot works good too. Water drop them all to quench.

I am assuming these Bayou Bullets are just Lead? Wonder what the "proprietary coating" is? Are they cleaner than typical lead bullets as far as leading the barrel goes? Yes, I shoot Glocks (and Berettas), I haven't shot lead out of my Glocks yet but I am tempted. Thanks.

Almost all bullets use lead but the coating on the Bayou makes them shoot clean. I know a few guys who shoot Bayou bullets in Glocks and they shoot great.

Almost all bullets use lead but the coating on the Bayou makes them shoot clean. I know a few guys who shoot Bayou bullets in Glocks and they shoot great.

True. I was just double checking. They say they are made from "Premium Bullet Alloy" I guess that's just plain ol lead? They really look great! With that coating, wonder if you still have to treat your barrel cleaning as you would shooting any other lead bullet? Or if the "Proprietary Coating" means you can treat them like any FMJ bullet? I've never shot lead in anything but I want to!