Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2011 Screw problem

Heya everyone,

I just picked up a new to me 2011. And I was going to clean the grip and trigger bow etc and I noticed the two little screws that are above the trigger guard won't come out.

Upon closer inspection, one side of the screws is stripped and my allen wrench wont get any bite the other side is completely fine. I ordered a new set of grip screws for it but the question is:

How should I go about getting the stripped screw out to replace it?

In my experience, those are prone to stripping.

Use a dremel an try to grind a slot for a flat head if it is truly beyond repair. That is always a last resort option for me. I think it has always required replacement when I try that maneuver.

Thanks for the replies!

I am not that much of a tool guy, I do have a dremel so the flat slot to use a flathead makes sense. What sort of attachment do you use to make the slot for the screw driver? Of course I do have a cordless drill, but I do not really have anything to fasten the gun to to drill it out. And drilling out kinda makes me nervous as I don't want to bungle up the bushing or the frame.. Kinda intimidated by this whole ordeal..

The last thing I want to do is make the problem worse. So I guess I just need to take the sanest approach..

Edited by tackdr1ver

Do you mean that the holes for the allen wrenches are stripped out on both of them?

Brian

Brian,

No, only one side is stripped. The other side is perfectly fine!

Thanks,

Greg

The tool is the thin cut-off wheel available for the Dremel. (I prefer to use one on another piece of metal until it has worn down to about a 1/4-inch diameter. If you use a new one, it is much too big and will bugger up the plastic around the screw about the time it starts to cut the slot in the screw).

It doesn't take much of a slot to be made, as long as you're going to use a hollow-ground screwdriver that will really grab the slot.

I thank you all for the replies and insight.

Next time I will be better armed with torx bits!

Me being impatient, started to grind a flat. That didn't work so I drilled it out and replaced it with the new one! I wish I had known about the torx bit from the start!