Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Did I get a bad Melonite finish?

Leozinho

M&P Pro 9 slide lost the finish where it rubs my Comptac holster. I noticed it after 50 presentations. After a couple hundred draws it settled down and hasn't worsened, as it seems all the Melonite is probably gone from every place it rubs. It looks worse than my old blued Beretta with 10s of thousands of presentations.

(FWIW, my mags have lost the finish at wear spots too.)

Sorry for the poor phone pics. It's actually worse than the photos show since it was hard to capture the shiny metal. I'm not interested in sending it back, as it looks like it has more character than it deserves. Just wondering if this is normal.

post-6373-0-41616600-1336351050_thumb.jp

Edited by Leozinho

Looks to me like it could be a holster problem. Have you inspected the holster? Looks like there is a pressure point where there shouldn't be. Maybe wrong model Comp-Tac for the M&P? Or grossly over tight?

But even in the worst fit scenario I wouldn't expect to see bare metal after 50 draws unless the holster was lined with emery cloth.

I was going to ask do your holster has sand paper in it..That is very much so excessive wear.

I have a FS .45 and a Pro 9 both in Comptac's that have easily seen over 5-6k draws with much less wear.

I'd take a file and hit the pressure points in the holster itself.

My first instinct was the holster, but it appears normal, is labeled 9 Pro, and fits well. I inspected the holster when I first noticed the problem, and there were no burrs or sharp edges that should cause this. I have the tension adjusted very light.

Edited by Leozinho

here are a couple pictures of my 45c. it has been drawn from a fobus kydex holster approximately 500 times. the holster is what i would call medium tightness. you can see a small scratch on one side (still not to bare steel), and nothing on the other side. i really had to play with the camera to get the scratch to show up. it is not very visible at all from most angles.

IMG_0422.jpg

IMG_0419.jpg

IMG_0418.jpg

as you can see, not nearly as bad as yours after 50 draws. either finish or holster problem.