Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Steel Master

i had one that I shot for about 4 months in uspsa shooting open minor. made 74.2% with it and then ended up selling it to fund something else.

it is a fantastic gun, after changing out the stock mount for a quinn mount I dont think i had a single issue in 5k rounds. Put about 20 rounds of major pf ammo through it and it cycled just fine just alot more violent.

I think the only issue that I had with it was a poorly fitted grip safety that had way too much blended off it - sti would have fixed it for free under warranty but I never sent it in.

unless you load your own ammo, I would just get the steelmaster. nothing wrong with shooting minor in open unless youre fighting for the top spot or hit more d's/c's than you do a's.

Hello: Get a Tru Bor instead for major and minor. Thanks, Eric

Can it be shot with minor reliably?

What minor PF would get it to cycle reliably ? It was my first choice but I didn't think a minor load would work? It is important the wife won't think it's to violent so she will use it.

i had one that I shot for about 4 months in uspsa shooting open minor. made 74.2% with it and then ended up selling it to fund something else.

it is a fantastic gun, after changing out the stock mount for a quinn mount I dont think i had a single issue in 5k rounds. Put about 20 rounds of major pf ammo through it and it cycled just fine just alot more violent.

I think the only issue that I had with it was a poorly fitted grip safety that had way too much blended off it - sti would have fixed it for free under warranty but I never sent it in.

unless you load your own ammo, I would just get the steelmaster. nothing wrong with shooting minor in open unless youre fighting for the top spot or hit more d's/c's than you do a's.

I do reload so I could make minor a bit hot

For a good minor load, I would move up from the factory ammo a little. A minor load at about 140-145 PF with a typical "major powder" will allow the comp to work better than a typical minor powder ie fast powder. The key to the comp is gas so if you want to load lighter, go with a lighter bullet so you need more powder for the PF and there is more gas to work the comp.

Hello: I just shot a local steel match this weekend with my Open 5" pistol. It uses a 9lb recoil spring for both major and minor. The steel load is 7.9 grains of HS-6, Montana Gold 95 grain 380 bullet, WSP primers and an overall length of 1.100". It shoots soft and cycles just fine. Thanks, Eric

Hello: I just shot a local steel match this weekend with my Open 5" pistol. It uses a 9lb recoil spring for both major and minor. The steel load is 7.9 grains of HS-6, Montana Gold 95 grain 380 bullet, WSP primers and an overall length of 1.100". It shoots soft and cycles just fine. Thanks, Eric

I was wondering how a super light bullet like that would work in one of these. I have a matchmaster and was thinking about trying to work up a super light bullet load for steel. I didn't know if you could get a 95 grain to feed or not. Good to know!

• 2 weeks later...

I have been shooting a Steelmaster with factory ammo for a couple of years now. I do not reload so it is reasonable to shoot buying off the shelf ammo. I also have a Grandmaster in 9 mm. I always use the Steelmaster and just take the Grandmaster for a backup. I shoot both steel challenge and USPSA matches and love this gun. I would highly recommend this gun. It's a great way to start shooting open class.

The Captain

• 3 months later...

Does anyone have any reviews on the steel master ? I'm contemplating getting one but this would be my first 2011 open gun. I've shot a few to know I like that platform and the bride is on board too:)

I am about to pick one up from a friend of mine. I will use it for three gun and steel where power factor does not play a role. I will use my Caspian in 38 super comp for USPSA handgun matches still.

I am looking forward to this gun for 2 reasons.

1. Don't want to have to worry about losing my brass in the winter at steel matches. Sucks pulling brass out of the snow.

2. I want to be able to get big mags.

Well I got it and I was surprized at how much muzzle jump it had with my standard minor load with tight group and 124 grian MG bullets. I am thinking I need to use a more gassy powder like 4756 and a lighter bullet. I also need to send all the STI mags off for tuning as they don't work. The SVi mags that came with the gun are flawless.

Pat

SteelMaster.jpg

Got it. I have 3 STI big stick mags and 2 STI 140mm mags and 1 SVI big stick and 2 STI 140 mm mags. I put spacers in the STI mags and most of them worked except for 2 that locked open with 1 round left. I have since de activated the slide stop so it does not lock open. Another one of the STI mags had a malfunction where the rounds did not feed up when there were 3 rounds left in the mag. I may have to send that one in to get tuned.

Pat

• 4 weeks later...

Well I got it and I was surprized at how much muzzle jump it had with my standard minor load with tight group and 124 grian MG bullets. I am thinking I need to use a more gassy powder like 4756 and a lighter bullet. I also need to send all the STI mags off for tuning as they don't work. The SVi mags that came with the gun are flawless.

Pat

I run a 95gr MG over 4.3gr of Hodgdon Clays -- very soft shooting (almost like a .22). I also shoot major using 115gr MG CMJ over 8.6gr of Silhoutte -- snappier, but very manageable. I shoot with the light recoilmaster in both. After 3 years and over 23,000 rounds, I still love my Steelmaster;)