Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Nook Simple Touch Rooting

Mark R

Scored our (small) local monthly match using PractiScore on a mix of Android and iOS devices, synched back to an iPad, done. Announced results after teardown was completed, cool. Went home, uploaded to EZWS, done. I hate manually entering scores into EZWS......

Not completely happy with the handheld devices we used so bought a NST on sale at Best Buy. Followed the instructions here to root it, done. Upgraded to the latest release from the B&N site before rooting, it worked fine.

Now stuck on the ADB connect step, can't seem to sort out the ADK download to the PC, fails with partial completion and other various hiccups. ...

Tell me again why I need ADB so I can manually enter DOS-like level commands <_< instead of moving the app to the NST by USB or uSD card? Can anyone provide details for one of those options? Tired of struggling with the wireless option. I am not an MVS guy like Bill but am in I/T and this shouldn't be this hard....

Also, what case are you guys using for the NST? I can't see spending $40 or more on an $80 device. Is there something workable in the $25 or less range?

Yeah, well I DON'T do the ADB connect stuff, on the principle that the average person doesn't have any clue about ip addresses or command windows or any of that "green screen" baloney. (My data processing philosophy now, beyond trying to adhere to the Steve Jobs "it just works" principle, is that a group of people somewhere went to a whole lot of trouble to write the GUI for any given operating system so that I wouldn't have to key in arcane console commands any more, so I damn sure am going to use it.) Anyway, I set up drop box on the nook and I wirelessly transfer updates to PS over that way, but there's absolutely no reason why you can't just use the usb cable that came with the nook and wire directly to your computer and copy over the .APK application file directly to your micro-sd card. That works just fine.

You will need to get wireless working for synching matches back and forth, however, and as I recall, I didn't have to do anything for that beyond the initial B&N setup where you establish your wireless connection in the first place for the normal purchase of books as the vendor intended. The wireless connection just continued to work after the rooting process.

We don't use any cases at all. As you point out, an individual NST is less than $100, so why bother? After all, we don't run around trying to buy cases for our more expensive range timers.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Scored our (small) local monthly match using PractiScore on a mix of Android and iOS devices, synched back to an iPad, done. Announced results after teardown was completed, cool. Went home, uploaded to EZWS, done. I hate manually entering scores into EZWS......

Not completely happy with the handheld devices we used so bought a NST on sale at Best Buy. Followed the instructions here to root it, done. Upgraded to the latest release from the B&N site before rooting, it worked fine.

Now stuck on the ADB connect step, can't seem to sort out the ADK download to the PC, fails with partial completion and other various hiccups. ...

Tell me again why I need ADB so I can manually enter DOS-like level commands <_< instead of moving the app to the NST by USB or uSD card? Can anyone provide details for one of those options? Tired of struggling with the wireless option. I am not an MVS guy like Bill but am in I/T and this shouldn't be this hard....

Also, what case are you guys using for the NST? I can't see spending $40 or more on an $80 device. Is there something workable in the $25 or less range?

Yeah, well I DON'T do the ADB connect stuff, on the principle that the average person doesn't have any clue about ip addresses or command windows or any of that "green screen" baloney. (My data processing philosophy now, beyond trying to adhere to the Steve Jobs "it just works" principle, is that a group of people somewhere went to a whole lot of trouble to write the GUI for any given operating system so that I wouldn't have to key in arcane console commands any more, so I damn sure am going to use it.) Anyway, I set up drop box on the nook and I wirelessly transfer updates to PS over that way, but there's absolutely no reason why you can't just use the usb cable that came with the nook and wire directly to your computer and copy over the .APK application file directly to your micro-sd card. That works just fine.

You will need to get wireless working for synching matches back and forth, however, and as I recall, I didn't have to do anything for that beyond the initial B&N setup where you establish your wireless connection in the first place for the normal purchase of books as the vendor intended. The wireless connection just continued to work after the rooting process.

We don't use any cases at all. As you point out, an individual NST is less than $100, so why bother? After all, we don't run around trying to buy cases for our more expensive range timers.

I hear you brother.... I stopped diving into the weeds of this stuff years ago, just not worth the cycles.

I have the WiFi working on my home router, did that during the initial device setup as you mention. Should be Ok for synching later.

And I understand the logic of dropping the APK file on the card, putting it the NST, etc. So did that and rebooted it to install from the card, no go. Tried executing the file on the card from the PC file mgr when connected by USB, no go. (I can see the card in the NST but can't execute the APK to install).

So do I need some sort of Android file mgr and if so, which one and how do I install it? Again the end game is to get PS loaded on this NST, so open to other suggestions....

Thanks

I beg to differ from Bill in that the ADB connect commands are not that cumbersome. I'd rather not look for a cable, connect it, install, disconnect cable and put it away for next time...with just a few mouse clicks and 3 commands, I'd rather just get-r-done.

Here is what I do...considering you have ADBwireless on the NST ( on the rooted apps screen) and the Android DevPak installed on the PC to use the ADB conmmand.

On the NST, I open the ADBwireless program and click on the large button on the screen. Once it starts on the NST, the IP address and port are displayed for connection...set the NST aside.

Prior to running the ADB commands from a DOS/CMD window, I copy the Practiscore.apk into my temp directory. I open a CMD window and using old DOS commands I navigate to that temp directory. then I run the ADB commands for each NST I want to install the program update on.

On the PC you have 3 DOS or CMD window commands...

ADB connect <IPaddress>:5555

ADB install -r practiscore.apk

ADB disconnect

In the first line, enter the IP address of the NST you are installing to. The :5555 is the port number and it needs to run toghether after the IP address seperated by a colon.

In the second line, if you have Practiscore already installed you must use the -r parameter to "overwrite the program". first install will not need the -r.

Third line is intuitive.

Edited to add: once you do the install/update, press the large button on the NST screen to turn off ADB and exit the ADBwireless program. But you probably figured that part out.

Works for me :cheers:

Edited by Mark R

To me, the easiest way to get Practiscore on the NST is a little roundabout, but easier than dealing the the Android SDK and learning enough ADB to use it. Here are the steps:

Step 1: Pick a rooting method for the NST that gives you a device that has the Amazon App Store installed.

Step 2: In the Amazon App Store, download and install the Opera Mobile Browser.

Step 3: In the Opera Mobile Browser, browse to http://practiscore.com and tap on the .APK link

Steps 1-2 can be combined if you pick a rooting method that gives you another working browser. Just use that browser instead in step 3.

Once you have the browser, you can keep installing the regular updates that Ken pushes out.

Edited by Skydiver

I beg to differ from Bill in that the ADB connect commands are not that cumbersome. I'd rather not look for a cable, connect it, install, disconnect cable and put it away for next time...with just a few mouse clicks and 3 commands, I'd rather just get-r-done.

To each his own I guess, but since each NST comes with a cable and charger, it seems simple enough to keep them with the tablet in the first place. :cheers:

So do I need some sort of Android file mgr and if so, which one and how do I install it? Again the end game is to get PS loaded on this NST, so open to other suggestions....

Yes, you do, which means you DO have to go through the gmail.com email address song and dance to get the android market up and running. Once you do, my choice of file manager is AndExplorer. From the NST's Android Market, find, download and install AndExplorer (or any other android file manager of your choice) on the NST. Then you can just start that up, navigate to your micro-SD card, tap on the .APK file and there you are.

To me, the easiest way to get Practiscore on the NST is a little roundabout, but easier than dealing the the Android SDK and learning enough ADB to use it. Here are the steps:

Step 1: Pick a rooting method for the NST that gives you a device that has the Amazon App Store installed.

Step 2: In the Amazon App Store, download and install the Opera Mobile Browser.

Step 3: In the Opera Mobile Browser, browse to http://practiscore.com and tap on the .APK link

Steps 1-2 can be combined if you pick a rooting method that gives you another working browser. Just use that browser instead in step 3.

Once you have the browser, you can keep installing the regular updates that Ken pushes out.

I guess an old dog can be trained...I'll give it a try.

Hi folks, I just read on CNET that B&N is selling new NST's for $79 in stores and online for father's day. Catch is you must use an actual Mastercard credit card to get the discount. Sale runs until June 17th. They apparently also did this for mother's day, but we missed it.

• 2 weeks later...

I got my Nook rooted, but I've hit a roadblock trying to get PractiScore loaded onto it...

1) Internet browser(s) not working, so I can't download PractiScore apk

The device is connected to my wireless network, but after typing in a url and tapping GO, the browser starts connecting for a second, and then it suddenly closes. (The Opera Mini browser won't even load.)

2) Can't get to the Google Play/App Market to download a file browser

Even though I have it registered with Google and YouTube (I created new accounts just for club scoring purposes), I get a "Server error has occurred..." message every time I try to access the Google Play app market from the Nook.

3) I also tried the Amazon App Store route to get a file browser... whenever I try to download an app, (Click the "FREE" button next to the app, then the "GET APP" button, I just get a big white box with an "OK" button in the middle. After clicking OK, nothing happens.

I know there is also a process to load files via adbWireless and the Android SDK on a PC, but at present I only have access to a desktop PC with no wifi - which I'm assuming would be a requirement to work with the Nook via adbWireless (?)

Any suggestions for getting PS loaded?

** EDIT TO ADD -- All of a sudden I am able to connect to the Google Play/App Market... so I was able to download a file browser and load PractiScore. Not sure why I was suddenly able to get into Google Play when it gave me an error message at every attempt for the last several days (?)

Edited by Xfactor

** EDIT TO ADD -- All of a sudden I am able to connect to the Google Play/App Market... so I was able to download a file browser and load PractiScore. Not sure why I was suddenly able to get into Google Play when it gave me an error message at every attempt for the last several days (?)

That's the flakiness of the process; you don't know how well it's going to work, but the Market for whatever reason takes about a day to resolve itself even if you do the song and dance with your gmail address and youtube. (I STILL don't get what frakking youtube has to do with anything about this!)

That being said, I don't use a browser from the nook. Rather I set up dropbox on a real computer and also on the nook and make files available that way. I also have to install a file manager app on the nook, and AndExplore seems to be as good as any (free from the Market).

That is, I downloaded practiscore and put it in the dropbox folder. Then going over to the nook, launch dropbox there and export (save) the .apk file to the micro-sd card in the nook. THEN launch andexplore, navigate to the sd card and press on the .apk file to start the install process for practiscore.

Or if you're not interested in the dropbox solution, just plug the nook into your computer with the usb cable that comes with it. (There's a lot to be said for this method!) It becomes available on the computer as two new hard drives. Open up the sd card "hard drive" and copy practiscore.apk to that. Disconnect from the computer, then on the nook open up andexplore, navigate to the sd card, press on the .apk file to install, etc, etc.

Now stuck on the ADB connect step, can't seem to sort out the ADK download to the PC, fails with partial completion and other various hiccups. I don't need to do a bunch of these, just want to finish this one so I can load PractiScore on the NST for testing. I need to confirm our final list of HW with $$ estimate for our club board to review/approve.

And thanks for all the great info shared, I would never have attempted any of this without it....

Lindy Bailey

Dothan, AL

Lindy,

I have looked EVERYWHERE for an armored Case for the NST, and they just do not make them. We are just going to buy some of these to help protect them some.

Silicone Case

Mark K

That's the flakiness of the process; you don't know how well it's going to work, but the Market for whatever reason takes about a day to resolve itself even if you do the song and dance with your gmail address and youtube.

Thanks Bill - good to know it wasn't just me... now that I have one up and running well, it's on to the next 5!

We are just going to buy some of these to help protect them some.

Silicone Case

Mark - one thing I noticed about some of the cases is that they can make it hard to touch the edges of the screen. This really doesn't become an issue within PractiScore for the most part - except for using the back arrow located at the top/center of the screen. Because of this, we looked around and found a case that has a cut-out just above the top center, wide enough to facilitate getting at the back arrow. (Let me know if you want a link)

• 4 weeks later...

4. Go back to the WinImage folder and double click on Win32DiskImager.exe. This opens WinImage…

<picture here>

On the WinImage window, click on the folder icon at the end of the Image File field box. Find and select the touchnooter-2-1-31.img file you unzipped in Preperation step 2. Ensure the device box contains your SD card reader drive. Select Write button. Watch progress indicator…when it finishes, the progress indicator clears and the program remains open. The image should be written to the Micro SD card. Check it via windows explorer, but do not open any files.

I can't get past this step. I keep getting a message telling me there isn't enough room on the SD card, despite the fact that it's a 4GB card. Any suggestions?

I'm rooting a nook for one of our ROs, and I have to say that as much as I like the look of the Nook in bright sunlight, the installation process is looking like a major incentive to keep using the iPhone/iPad/iPod and just turn my back to the sun. Does anyone sell a rooted Nook?

BB

4. Go back to the WinImage folder and double click on Win32DiskImager.exe. This opens WinImage…

<picture here>

On the WinImage window, click on the folder icon at the end of the Image File field box. Find and select the touchnooter-2-1-31.img file you unzipped in Preperation step 2. Ensure the device box contains your SD card reader drive. Select Write button. Watch progress indicator…when it finishes, the progress indicator clears and the program remains open. The image should be written to the Micro SD card. Check it via windows explorer, but do not open any files.

I can't get past this step. I keep getting a message telling me there isn't enough room on the SD card, despite the fact that it's a 4GB card. Any suggestions?

I'm rooting a nook for one of our ROs, and I have to say that as much as I like the look of the Nook in bright sunlight, the installation process is looking like a major incentive to keep using the iPhone/iPad/iPod and just turn my back to the sun. Does anyone sell a rooted Nook?

BB

Barry...I have a built in SD card reader/writer on my Dell XPS laptop and the built-in one would not work...got all kind of error messages (sorry can't remember what they were). I went to Best Buy and purchased an external reader/writer and a fast class 10 (6 will work also) SD card and all worked as designed.

Did you use a built-in SD reader or do you have an external?

Mark R

<picture here>

BB

Barry...I have a built in SD card reader/writer on my Dell XPS laptop and the built-in one would not work...got all kind of error messages (sorry can't remember what they were). I went to Best Buy and purchased an external reader/writer and a fast class 10 (6 will work also) SD card and all worked as designed.

Did you use a built-in SD reader or do you have an external?

Mark R

I've been trying to use the built in reader on my Lenovo laptop. What kind of external reader/writer did you buy?

BB

Finally! Got the Nook rooted and Practiscore installed. That was a major chore for someone who's not an android user, and I'm not thrilled about having to install software on my laptop to do it. We'll see how stable it is over time and just how much better the screen is in direct sun before we commit to doing another one.

If I had an android phone and was a tablet user, I could see this being pretty attractive, and it's hard to argue with the price tag. But it is a chore for someone whose only exposure to Android is to set up a Nook for Practiscore.

Thanks to Mark for laying out "Practiscore Installation for Dummies"!

BB

Well, again, I didn't install anything on my computer for this exercise in order to be able to copy things back and forth, and if I'd had to, I think I would have just packed up the NST and taken it back to the store. Wireless works (you set it up when you first turn on the NST), and I send the .apk files over via dropbox. The other method involving the android SDK and finding and typing ip addresses -- Uh Uh! The average user doesn't have a prayer of understanding or doing that.

Edited by wgnoyes

• 1 month later...

Just did this but wanted to add one little (important) piece missing. The software needed can be found here:

win32diskimager-binary.zip – My linkhttps://launchpad.net/win32-image-writer/+download

*NOTE - you want to download the latest file that says "binary" in the name. The ones that say source are not used in this procedure.

Touchnooter-2-1-31.zip - http://nooter.googlecode.com/files/touchnooter-2-1-31.zip

There are other little gotcha's along the way but with persistence you will get it. Remember - you only have to "root" once...

Chris

Edited by ctay

• 3 weeks later...

I got one nook rooted using google play from my computer, but now I can't seem to get the rest of them to go. It says I haven't opened google play on them recently, and to do that and come back.

My computer doesn't recognize 'connect' as a valid command. The search function of the market on the nook doesn't like searching for practiscore, but I can download apps it suggests on the front page.

I can find andexplorer on the amazon store, but it doesn't seem to download.

Does anyone know why the ADB connect is recognized as a valid command, or how to fix it?

Don't worry about all that. I was able to find a explorer without using the search function and instal via a sd card.

Edited by ziebart

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting, I've totally missed this thread. I guess that's what I get for only reading threads I'm subscribed to (not much of a forum reader).

Someone possibly mentioned this earlier, but I didn't notice it if so.

One way to "side-load" an application is first make sure you're enabled for non-market apps (run NookColor Tools, make sure 'Allow Non-Market Apps' is checked. The first time, I recommended un-checking it, then re-checking it).

Now go get the Practiscore.apk file from the Practiscore website, and put it on an SD card, in the root directory.

Insert the SD card into the device.

Open the browser on the Android device. In the address bar, type "file:///sdcard/Practiscore.apk". Answer the questions and it will install.

This is also a convenient way to install a file manager, which is generally worth having installed. I like http://www.lysesoft.com/products/andexplorer/#download.

--jc

Edited by jcwren

I installed a file manager and just plug in the Nooks with a USB cable and copy the PRACTISCORE.APK file over. Then use file manager to click on the file to install it. I installed latest version on 4 Nooks in about 3-4 minutes. Thanks Bill for the nudge.