Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

US Practical Shotgun Champs

I know the match was rescheduled for September and changed to a one day format instead of a two day match.

There are 12 stages... some look pretty long... and there's only so much daylight available.

Does anybody know if the stages are still the same? Are there still going to be 12 of them?

Mickster

I received the new and improved (shortened) stages from Jeff (the MD) last night and they will be posted today (07/14/04) before 2:00 p.m. CST. They look doable in a day.

Mark Hearn

Mickster

The new stages are up Southeastern Firearms Trainging Center.

Check them out. Ten Stages.

The match is limited to 75. At 5 minutes per shooter, that's 6.5 hours of shooting. We're going to start at 8:00. Have a break for lunch and hopefully finish shooting around 3:30-4:00 with prizes to follow. A full day.

Last year the resetting on the stages was fast in comparison to pasting paper targets and scoring was quicker as well (broke/not broke).

The slowest stage will probably be the Chopper Blaster (riding up range, hanging out the door of a chopper mounted on the side of a truck). With a similar stage last year, we still keep the runs under 5 minutes.

Fun I Tell Ya.

Mark Hearn

The stages absolutely look like some serious shotgun fun. Looks like it's time to try some lefty shotgun shooting. My money and entry form are in the mail as we speak.

By Chopper, do you mean like my raked, stretched and oh so low bonecrushing Harley or a Chopper like the kind that looks like a brick but flies like an eagle?

MHearn, good to see you yesterday! Aren't you in B class yet??? For anyone that hasn't shot this match, you need to shoot it! It is great fun and I am sure these guys will do a super job again this year! Practice your left hand shotgun from the most awkward position imaginable. Couldn't be any worse than this year's 3Gun Nationals!!! (I hope). :o

GAPEACH

Good to see you as well. On the B class thing, 59.4427% and nervous. The last three entered were 77, 59, & 71. Not long I think.

Look forward to seeing you at the shotgun match. We worked on it Saturday. Jeff is just about crazy with some of things he is working on. But, crazy in a good way. The helicopter stage (a variation on last years car stage) is looking wild. I'm trying to get him to do some incoming clays off a thrower while your moving up range in the helo, but he's worried about reliablity issues. Wimp.

Mhearn

• 2 weeks later...

Well glad you got out of that brick, just a quick update, match is coming along enrties are rolling in, props are being built, prizes are stacking up due to the hard work of a few individuals and some great sponsors. Two years agor the big prize was a Briley tricked out Browing, last year a Remington Competition Master adn a 308 Remington 700, this year thanks to Benny Hill of Triangle shooting sports, Caspian, Sti, Dawson Precision, and several other contributors the Grand Prize the Winner of Limited will take away will be a Benny Hill custom STI 6" Fatfree pistol, first loser (2nd place) will probably have to settle for a Remington 700. As in the past all will go tho the prize table, and we are dong our best to make the good stuff go to as many as possible. Thanks to the wonderful suport of our firends and sponsors, please suppport them with your consumer dollars as well. Get those applications in and join the fun, the helicopter made its amiden voyage today and didn't fall apart going across the field but was a load of fun.

Just a little info for you folks that may be flying into Birmingham or driving in from Texas or points west, Guntersville is about 30 miles or so south of the range and has some nice hotels and restaurants though it is smaller than Huntsville, it is about the same distance from the range but on the south side so may be an option for those coming from that direction. It is also a beautiful town on the water, give mapquest or whomever a try and see if it fits your plans. An additional thanks to a couple new sponsors; DPMS and Nowlin guns, there help and support is greatly appreciated, so let them know we support them as well.

We have Todd Salmons favorite stage shaping up, shooting from a moving vehicle, I worry he may practice this way to often. No worries, its set up much safer than many stages I have seen in the past. :D

• 3 weeks later...

Still have space for more shooters, I know the pistol nationals is a slight conflict but blowing things up with a shotgun is going to be more fun, look forward to seeing everyone who is signed up B) adios

• 3 weeks later...

U.S. Practical Shotgun Match is ready to go.

Match packets and registration will be at "Classic Pizza and Arcade" (located near the range in New Hope, AL, just north of Pigly Wigly on Hwy 431) Friday 24, from 6:30-9:00 p.m.

Match packets, registration and the shooters meeting will be at the range on Saturday 25, 8:00 a.m.