Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Major load issues

Dlsvt

After a lot of reading I worked up a WAC load. Once I got to 7.0 grs the primers are as flat as can be. Cases show no signs of pressure. Is this ok? My setup is a glock 17 with carver 4 port. Load was 124 Montana cmj, federal spp, once fired federal brass, 1.145 oal

Can you post pics? Federal primers are very soft and will tend to show more flattening. What power factor or velocity were you getting? That sounds fairly short for needing 7.0 grains. I'm getting ~171PF at 1.165 with 124gr MG JHPs. That's out of a 5" barrel though.

Edited by Jonathan Taliani

Right at 1370 or 170pf. Had some chrono issues after a couple shots. Are jhp shorter or about the same? Today was the first day I have tried federal primers.. Was using cci. Seems like Winchester srp and spp are popular on here. any preference between those?

Can you post pics? Federal primers are very soft and will tend to show more flattening. What power factor or velocity were you getting? That sounds fairly short for needing 7.0 grains. I'm getting ~171PF at 1.165 with 124gr MG JHPs. That's out of a 5" barrel though.

I didnt keep any to take pics.

Right at 1370 or 170pf. Had some chrono issues after a couple shots. Are jhp shorter or about the same? Today was the first day I have tried federal primers.. Was using cci. Seems like Winchester srp and spp are popular on here. any preference between those?

It is going to vary, but generally in my experience, JHPs call for more powder when set to the same length. I have used all of the above with success. Hardness from softest to hardest is Federal, Winchester, and then CCI (comparing type to type). Be careful not to mask over pressure warnings by using hard primers. Some flattening is going to occur with major loads.

I didnt keep any to take pics.

Without pics, it's just speculating, but it sounds like you are probably okay. Federal primers do tend to show the most flattening.

You may want to play with your overall length to see what the max length is for your mags and barrel. Allow yourself a little bit of wiggle room to accommodate variation. Longer OAL will help to minimize the pressure spike of a relatively fast powder.

After a lot of reading I worked up a WAC load. Once I got to 7.0 grs the primers are as flat as can be. Cases show no signs of pressure. Is this ok? My setup is a glock 17 with carver 4 port. Load was 124 Montana cmj, federal spp, once fired federal brass, 1.145 oal

Use Small RIFLE primers, not PISTOL primers when loading for Open. Fed. SRP are the preferred primer for most Open shooters. They should not show any signs of flattening out.

Use Small RIFLE primers, not PISTOL primers when loading for Open.

This.

While some will tell you that SRP's only hide overpressure signs in reality nearly all Open loads are over what they were intended to run at. Even the 38Supers are running above factory offerings let alone the 9MAJORS.

Agreed.

Federal SR primers don't mask over-pressure signs, but they are themselves, a little bit harder than Federal SP primers. They were initially used when the old PF was 175, and primer flow was a common occurrence. Either way I wouldn't expect to see any signs of primers flattening out. Flattening out is not only a sign of over-pressure, but the act itself can be detrimental if primer flow gets into your firing pin hole (or worse).

I've used Pistol primers in a pinch, but they aren't my "go-to" primer choice. Winchesters are every bit as good as Federals, but Federals are markedly softer, and therefore give more reliable ignition. But any open gun with a 17 lb. main spring should light a Winchester reliably, as much as a Federal.

Edited by Chris Keen