Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mags in Production Division

BobS761

Just a quick question. Shooting an XDm 40 and son has XD 40. Since both pistol's magazines hold more than 10 rounds, do I need to get different mags or simply only load 10 rounds? Not an immediate issue, as the next few matches are dedicated to learning and fun, and get an idea of where we want to go.

Thanks,

B

Just load them to 10. The first one you use can be loaded to 11, so it has 10 in the mag and 1 in the chamber at the start.

As long as it's a "loaded gun" start; otherwise, welcome to Open Division. Best practice -- load all mags to ten and top off on the line....

Also, are you shooting in production? If shooting in Limited, load them up to full capacity!

Eventhough we shot Limited our first match, we are shooting bone stock pistols, and very likely to remain bone stock for some time. At our level it wouldn't matter which division we shoot in, as the results will be the same anyway. So we're going to settle in Production, learn, improve, and see where we go from there. With so much to work on, my feeling is settling on a division will take away a variable.

BTW, if there are any local shooters seeing this, PLEASE do not show my son one of those super tricked out fancy open guns! Contrary to his belief, I am not made of money! :surprise:

B

Thread drift, can you run extended basepads in production, if you still only put 10 rounds in them?

Gotta fit the box....

You cannot run them regardless of if they fit in the box. They are an external modification. Here is the NROI Ruling on basepads.

That might only apply if you are modifying the basepads. Moot point though....if they don't fit the box, then what's the point of extended basepads? If you want extended to run limited, just keep the springs and original to run production and switch them back and forth.

Edited by GrumpyOne

Thread drift, can you run extended basepads in production, if you still only put 10 rounds in them?

Gotta fit the box....

You cannot run them regardless of if they fit in the box. They are an external modification. Here is the NROI Ruling on basepads.

That ruling is ~4 years old....

D4 - 21.7 magazines

Prior restrictions on magazines have been lifted. OEM and aftermarket magazines and base-pads may be used. However, any and all magazines used in competition, must fit into the USPSAbox while empty and inserted in the handgun as described in item 7 of this appendix. Grip tape and/or skate board tape are specifically allowed on magazines and basepads