Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Trying To Find .223 Range and Training Bullets

Trident

Montana Gold FMJ's are a pretty good deal by the case - https://www.montanagoldbullet.com/pricelist.html

Many powders work well for .223, try searching this forum. I'm very happy right now with Ramshot X-Terminator for 55 gr bullets.

Steve

Ya I was looking at the MG 55's was just wondering if anyone knows of others?

Im just starting to load .223 so trying to find a consensus of the best place to start.

I use Hornady 55fmjbt. They are on sale at midwayusa for $80./1000 right now. Im not that good but i use them in 3 gun and practice.

I'm just starting to load .223 so trying to decide on 2 or 3 different rounds and powder to start with for 16" 1:7 AR for three gun. I seen that MW had a sale on the Hornady and was considering ordering some. It would be nice to find a 62 -70 for under .10/ea.

Has anyone who has used the MG 55g that could give an opinion of their experience with this rounds accuracy and receipe?

Hollow Point or no?

I have shot both the MG and Hornady 55 and I have to say they are quite comparable in performance so personally I cant say I have seen a difference. What breaks the divide is availability and price. I prefer Hornady as I can normally find them cheaper but unfortunatly it has become harder to find and Midway is backordered on bulk orders for some time. Recently I have noticed the MG goes out of stock time to time as well. Personally I buy in large bulk orders to save overall bullet cost.

Also, I agree that there is a wide array of powders that work with 55gr. I use Hodgdon H335 and Varget depending on availability.

For heavier loads I again use Hornady and trying to develop a load for 75gr. 600rd/$100 isnt too bad.

Edited by KTKlaus

I have shot both the MG and Hornady 55 and I have to say they are quite comparable in performance so personally I cant say I have seen a difference. What breaks the divide is availability and price. I prefer Hornady as I can normally find them cheaper but unfortunatly it has become harder to find and Midway is backordered on bulk orders for some time. Recently I have noticed the MG goes out of stock time to time as well. Personally I buy in large bulk orders to save overall bullet cost.

Also, I agree that there is a wide array of powders that work with 55gr. I use Hodgdon H335 and Varget depending on availability.

For heavier loads I again use Hornady and trying to develop a load for 75gr. 600rd/$100 isnt too bad.

I was going to start with TAC and BLC(2). I was considering Varget but not sure if it will meter well through a 650.... opinions welcome ;')

I was going to start with TAC and BLC(2). I was considering Varget but not sure if it will meter well through a 650.... opinions welcome ;')

I havent used Varget in a while since I switched to H335 (which meters very well) for 55. From what I remember I hadnt that much of an issue with it. Knock on wood when I start using it for my 75s.

• 3 months later...

If your looking for cheap powder, you could try some WC844 or WC846 (Military pull down powder) I use it in my plinking loads, works just fine. For a little heavier practice bullet 62gr SS109 can be found for around 80 bucks a 1k

• 2 weeks later...

try to stay away from cylindrical powders when using a powder measure. I use Ramshot tac, 335, and some other powders that meter better in my 650. The best way to figure it out for your rifle is to get some of the most popular and test it in your rifle with each bullet, primer, brass, powder combination. I have found that some rifles of the same make and model like different powders. But Ramshot tac and 335 are good starting places.