Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SBR for 3gun

w_thomas21

The SBR is more harsh when fired and not as soft/flat as a rifle length gun. You also loose velocity which can make a difference hitting steel at distance. I use my 10.5 inch occasionally for the local matches which dont have much for distance at all.

My personal experience is for short range matches as in 100 yds or less they can be an advantage. Especially if there are no stages over 50 and some up close and hoser stuff. I use my Colt 6933 exclusively at matches that are limited range. BUT I also have an aimpoint vs Meopta on my JP. I'm not good enough for it to show but I can tell the difference in my book.

I have used my 11.5 SBR for some local 3 Gun matches. Range is usually 100 or less but I can keep all shots fairly centered in an USPSA target at 300 yds with it. Recoil is negligible because there isn't any leverage on the muzzle blast. As mentioned, if you have hallway, door/windows you have to shoot through, the SBR is a big advantage to me. About like using a pistol with more bullets.

Craig

Running a 14.5in suppressed is has been difficult to pick up if the timer isnt close to the shooter. i.e near the ejection port.

If RO's have been around or knowledged on suppressors iv never seen a problem.

Those of us that run CANS should educate others (RO's) on running timers for silent shooters.

This just keeps things smooth and fast for the match. ;)

like the others, i've run a 10" sbr with or without the can locally, and the same for an AK, but never for anything "serious". Although I do remember seeing Jeff Cramblit running one at, correct me if I'm wrong here but I want to say Larue '10, and when I questioned him along the same lines mentioned in the above posts his reply was to just know your holds, same as running a longer tube with more velocity. worked for him.

If you want to run a shorty, I think the 14.5" Midlength with a pinned comp is the way to go. The gun shoots just as soft as a 16" middy. The gun isn't under NFA laws so you can cross state lines if you want to without any paperwork. You can still make minor with heavier bullets probably.

I've run the 14.5" in matches and its a good set up. Its very fast in the house stages but long and stable enough to offhand 50-100 yard shots quickly

• 2 weeks later...

I've shot my home defense 10.3" DD MK18 with an AAC M4-2000, Geissele SSA, and Micro T-1 on it in a couple of 3 gun matches (200 yards on in) and it performed well. Where it really shines are in the tactical rifle matches. Very fast to transition, real accurate and it's hard to get a better muzzle brake than a can :) .