Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

A safety issue or not?

Neil Beverley

A hypothetical question.

What is your opinion on someone having a loaded shotgun in either a soft case, or a hard case, and carrying the case around horizontally at a match. The justification for such action being that the gun is safe inside the case, the trigger is inaccessible, it cannot fire.

And would it make a difference if the safety catch is on or off?

I don't like it at all.

Wouldn't it be (almost) the same of having a hot handgun holstered all the time while on the range?

We have a basic safety rule: you load after a RO direct command when on the deck, you unload before leaving the deck.

Everything is safe and everybody is happy.

I won't even go into the legal problems this could create in some countries where this could be seen as "carrying" from (maybe) non-licensed people. :ph34r:

A hypothetical question

Hmmm....

And what exactly has the case got to do with it ? :D

..... nothing at all !

Now if the hypothetical question had related to the car park, then its a sorta problem. (or is it) :wacko:

Loaded gun outside of the COF under the direct supervision of an RO. Match DQ and a SERIOUS WTF were you thinking talk.

We have our rules, they extend to locatinos where carrying a concealed firearm is a natural daily occurance. Those fortunate souls are required to stop outside the range and divest themselves of said loaded firearm before entering the range where the competition is held. Why would we even consider treatring a shogun in a case with a chambered round, or simply a round in the magazine any differently?

Now the other half of the questino, is it a safety issue. I would say yes since we all, worngly so I admit, expect all the firearms we come in contact with on the range to be unloaded. I can see someone having a brain fart and grabbing the SG in asuch a manner as to inadvertently pull the trigger. I do not want to be there! \

The safety on or off makes no difference. Why is the competitor carrying his SG in this manner and as already been asked, why would we consider this different from a loaded pistol in a case or locked into a holster?

Jim Norman

It's obviously a violation of the game rules.

Whether or not it is inherently "unsafe" depends on several factors.

1. Was the chamber loaded or not

2. Does the safety effectively prevent a discharge if the gun is dropped or impacted in some other way

Carrying a loaded handgun in a holster or case that protects the trigger is NOT inherently unsafe, but then a properly functioning, modern handgun won't discharge if it's dropped. I don't know if that is true for a shotgun.

I know that when I leave my shotgun loaded for some reason, I will leave the chamber empty. Same thing with my AR. But I typically do not leave them loaded in any manner when in the cases.

So …………

The clear consensus is that it is not acceptable to ever have a loaded gun in a slip or case while on a range (or anywhere else for that matter?). To quote a couple of view points which I agree with:

Dajarrel: I don't like the idea of a hypothetical loaded gun on the range- bagged or not.

Jim: The safety on or off makes no difference.  Why is the competitor carrying his SG in this manner and as already been asked, why would we consider this different from a loaded pistol in a case ……

Then there seems to be a consensus, in the main, in this thread that we should treat all firearms as if they are loaded.

Jeff and Jim state the case best of all:

1) All guns are loaded!!!

2) Do not point a gun at anything you aren't willing to destroy!!!

Good sound practice. I concur, completely.

To summarise:

1. It is not acceptable to point a loaded gun at someone (even if it is in a slip or case)

2. Treat all guns as if they are loaded

Very interesting!

The practice in reality is somewhat in conflict with the combined conclusions above. There are some people, some entire Regions, who frequently carry long guns horizontally in cases, and I daren’t even further discuss the generally accepted practices for handguns when in cases or gloves or range bags.

It’s quite contradictory to the feelings in the combined threads.

How many people routinely point a gun, that should be treated as if loaded, at something they aren't willing to destroy, while carrying it around in a case, slip, glove or range bag?

Just a thought!

Is it me or are we all missing the part of the question that said a "LOADED SHOTGUN" in a case or bag.

I think that while we have no way of knowing if a cased gun is loaded or not, we can GENERALLY ASSUME that it presents a far lower danger threshold than an uncased gun.

I would ask, if I or no one else has, "Why is the gun loaded if it is cased?" Are you planing on jumping into a Hot LZ and you want to be ready to go the instant your feet are on the ground?

Jim

What is your opinion on someone having a loaded shotgun in either a soft case, or a hard case, and carrying the case around horizontally at a match.  The justification for such action being that the gun is safe inside the case, the trigger is inaccessible, it cannot fire.

:o:blink::angry::o:blink::angry::o:blink::angry:

It was a trick question. :o

Think about how you carry your UNLOADED gun when it is cased.  Would you carry it the same way if you knew it was loaded?  Should there be a difference?

wide45,

Yes! You're right it was a trick question and my apologies for that but my intentions were sincere. You other comments have hit the nail on the head.

Having said that there have been no bad or wasted comments in this discussion.

The main conversation has now shifted to the other thread that has always (in my mind) been linked to this one. Click HERE to go to that thread.