Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CZ Shadow 9mm Load

kingdarb

So my new CZ Shadow arrived the other day - a quick clean and immediately off to the range to blast through a couple hundred factory rounds. She shoots nice, and I am happy with her.

I have been reloading 9mm for my glocks for awhile. I have been loading 125g Zero JHP-C to 1.135 with 5 grains of WSF.

I tried to chamber some dummy rounds with these projectiles (no primer/no powder) and they just jammed the gun up. The slide wouldn't even rack - had to take the gun apart to get the round out. Should have chamber checked them in just the barrel first - DUH ME! I suppose I shouldn't be surprised; not all chambers are the same size after all.

So, in order to figure out a max OAL, I put a about ten projectiles into ten different pieces of fired brass, and pushed them into the chamber as far as they would go - thought process being that the chamber/rifling would seat the bullet and give me an OAL to work with for this particular projectile. I then subtracted 0.015 from the average measurement from these ten rounds, to allow for a little variance in possible OAL's while reloading.

What I came up with is an OAL of 1.08. I made some dummy rounds up at this length and they drop in and out of the chamber easily. When I start to get above 1.10-ish, the start to get hung up when I try to drop them out of the barrel (just by inverting the barrel).

This is shorter than anything I have ever loaded before, and shorter than anything I have managed to find in any data. The data for WSF calls for 4.7-5.3 grains. I am thinking that given the pretty short length, I may need to start at 4.7g due to the increased pressure, as opposed to the 5g that I normally use.

Does anyone have similar experience loading zeros for a CZ Shadow?

For what it is worth.

I load 4.1-4.2 of VV 320 at 1.08-1.10 OAL with Montana Gold Hollow points. I can go up to 1.13 but my speeds go down a little.

I wouldn't worry about loading short with less powder. CZ is saving you money! :roflol:

I hear about people reaming the chambers on the CZ but I think its so they can use the heavier projectiles and longer OALs. I've never tried it.

just an fyi. 9mm CZs are a bit sensitive to short overall length with respect to feeding reliability. if you have feeding issues with your rounds loaded that short, don't be shocked. just an fyi in case it happens. i'm not saying that it will with your ammo.

I load for CZ's, HP bullets are normally going to be loaded short for them. I load XTP/HAP at 1.075" with WSF with no issue. A 5.0gr load of WSF is just a half full case so it shouldn't be a problem even that short with that bullet.

...but you also may find at some point that RN FMJ bullets shoot very well in a CZ.

Edited by Cheesewhiz

If you throat the barrel will that cause any other problems? Like less accurate? I am ready to reload some Bear Creek RN 125gr. I expect to be in the 1.080 range for my nice NEW Shadow! I Have WSF and WW 231

If you throat the barrel will that cause any other problems? Like less accurate? I am ready to reload some Bear Creek RN 125gr. I expect to be in the 1.080 range for my nice NEW Shadow! I Have WSF and WW 231

Throating a barrel's chamber length just allows for a longer (forward ogive) bullet to be loaded at a longer OAL. This may be important to make major with a particular bullet or possibly a certain bulky powder.

CZ's have an abrupt transition from the chamber to the rifling, this can cause some length considerations when loading HP's and forward ogive bullets. You may have to reduce a length in order to get to a .010 to .015" ogive clearance from the rifling. CZ's transitions are abrupt but the next question is, is that what helps make them accurate? I think it does for sure, so if you needed to throat a CZ barrel for some reason, you would want to keep that form of transition and not taper it or extend beyond what is needed.

I load a lot of different bullets for my CZ's some of those loads are almost to major PF and my barrels are kept stock. I can load MG RN FMJ 124gr bullets to a 1.165" length with plenty of clearance, Zero's RN at 1.155" with .015" clearance. Most HP's and FN need to be loaded between 1.150" down to 1.065" and I still keep them well within pressure ranges at well above "making" minor speeds.

No negative effect on accuracy here. Reamed both my CZ's and 2 1911 barrels with a Manson 9mm reamer (http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=40866/Product/RIMLESS-PISTOL-CARTRIDGES).

Can use the same load in all 9mm guns now as long as they fit the mag.

Loading to 1.09 is fine, but I didnt want to keep different OAL's loaded for my guns.

So my new CZ Shadow arrived the other day - a quick clean and immediately off to the range to blast through a couple hundred factory rounds. She shoots nice, and I am happy with her.

I have been reloading 9mm for my glocks for awhile. I have been loading 125g Zero JHP-C to 1.135 with 5 grains of WSF.

I tried to chamber some dummy rounds with these projectiles (no primer/no powder) and they just jammed the gun up. The slide wouldn't even rack - had to take the gun apart to get the round out. Should have chamber checked them in just the barrel first - DUH ME! I suppose I shouldn't be surprised; not all chambers are the same size after all.

So, in order to figure out a max OAL, I put a about ten projectiles into ten different pieces of fired brass, and pushed them into the chamber as far as they would go - thought process being that the chamber/rifling would seat the bullet and give me an OAL to work with for this particular projectile. I then subtracted 0.015 from the average measurement from these ten rounds, to allow for a little variance in possible OAL's while reloading.

What I came up with is an OAL of 1.08. I made some dummy rounds up at this length and they drop in and out of the chamber easily. When I start to get above 1.10-ish, the start to get hung up when I try to drop them out of the barrel (just by inverting the barrel).

This is shorter than anything I have ever loaded before, and shorter than anything I have managed to find in any data. The data for WSF calls for 4.7-5.3 grains. I am thinking that given the pretty short length, I may need to start at 4.7g due to the increased pressure, as opposed to the 5g that I normally use.

Does anyone have similar experience loading zeros for a CZ Shadow?

Lots of info here. http://www.czfirearms.us/ I use 1.09 OAL with 124 gr frontier cmj, 3.95 Titegroup 130.4 PF out of my CZ75 SP-01 Shadow. Avg velocity was 1052, Standard Deviation was 12.9. Lot's of folks use N320 with very good results.

Longer OALs didn't feed well from my mags, either my CZ mags or Mecgar (they make mags for CZ