Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

550B inconsistent powder charges

I tried to search the past topics but didn't really see what I was looking for. I bought a used 550 and set it up. I adjusted the charge bar for what I wanted but as I started getting some handle pulls, I noticed the charge got heavy as i went. Everything seemed correct in the setup. The difference seems to be the extra movement involved with the operation. When I set the charge I was going one at a time but when I went progressive the charge went up. I am keeping a smooth stroke on the handle but it still is happening. My previous non-Dillon setup didn't do that so I am slightly confused. Is this common? Any tips/tricks?

Thanks.

When finalizing die settings you need to have all stations full. The OAL, the belling,the crimp and the powder charge will change when running one at a time. When running progressive you will find the first and last load will vary from the rest. YMMV

Edited by Youngeyes

Remember the powder throws are based on volume - the powder settles and packs as you load - some powders are better than others - once it settles in keep the powder cup filled - in general for pistol shooting the throw differences will not be too great but it is a good reason not throw to min PF or if you do check your measure often.

Thanks for the info. I was trying to work up a new load for 44 mag this past weekend. I had never made 44 before and the powder dispenser is one of the older ones. I was trying to climb .2 increments and my dispenser was varying .6gr either .3 high or .3 low and I finally did it as a single stage and checked each round. But I was running with very small amounts of powder in the hopper. These 44 have kicked my butt. I will be so happy when I can make the switch back to anything other than 44.

start with the hopper at least 2/3 full, throw 10-15 charges and dump them back before you begin weighing charges.

So true. I also try and keep the hopper 1/4 full or more especially with flake powders like Clays or Green Dot.

I ran into this as well when I first started loading with my 550. I finally noticed the powder settling as the measure cycled up and down, so I started lightly rapping the side of the measure after filling it to settle the powder. Problem solved.