Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Para 1911 .40 S&W Single Stack-Travis Tomasie

cbmax

Hi All,

I just received my new Para 1911 Single Stack Travis Tomasie Edition from Bobby at Freedom Gun Works. I haven't had a chance to shoot the pistol yet, but I wanted to post some pictures. The gun seems very nicley made. It comes in an Ion Bond finish from the factory. It also comes with a fiber optic front sight which appears to have been made by Dawson Precision. The only thing I added was an SVI magwell and MSH. The slide is flat topped. I also purchased some Tripp Research 10 round magazines. I took the pistol apart and gave it a thorough cleaning and lubrication. The only thing I have noticed so far is that I cannot ease the slide forward with an empty magazine. With a dummy round in the magazine, this can be accomplished easily. The gun is very tight. I am guessing that the mag springs need to be broken in a bit. In competition I should never have to drop the slide on an empty chamber, but I still like to be able to do this when racking the slide to do a chamber check with a mag inserted.

Any how, tell me what you all think!

CB

post-20368-0-60348000-1334201804_thumb.j

post-20368-0-60946800-1334201822_thumb.j

post-20368-0-12019700-1334201836_thumb.j

Hello: Looks pretty nice but I still wish they would move the front serrations to the rear more so are fingers are not so close to the end where the bullets come out :surprise: The 6" pistol is even worse since my arms are not that long :roflol: You should check the weight also before a big match. Thanks, Eric

cb,

You shouldn't ever do a "chamber check" with a magazine inserted. Slide will never ease forward with an empty mag inserted unless you disable the slide lock function. When empty mag is in gun and slide moves to the rear, the follower in the mag pushes the slide lock up into the notch in the slide and licks it open. You can over-power it with your thumb. No chamber checks with mags inserted. Slick looking pistol.

cb,

You shouldn't ever do a "chamber check" with a magazine inserted. Slide will never ease forward with an empty mag inserted unless you disable the slide lock function. When empty mag is in gun and slide moves to the rear, the follower in the mag pushes the slide lock up into the notch in the slide and licks it open. You can over-power it with your thumb. No chamber checks with mags inserted. Slick looking pistol.

What are you saying? I do press checks with mags in my gun all the time.

Hi All,

Thanks for the feedback thus far. I might eventually send the gun back down to Bobby to have him serrate the flat topped slide and also to tri-top the slide. For now, I just plan to shoot the heck out of it. However i think it will need to have the trigger lightened a bit sooner rather than later. The trigger is nice and crisp but just a little too heavy. I think I will start using it in USPSA Limited 10.

As for not performing a press check with a magazine inserted, I have to say you lost me on this concept. Isn't the whole idea of a press check to make sure you have not forgotten to chamber a round or in the alternative that you have an empty chamber?

I was actually trying to come upwith a scenario where I would want to ease the slide closed with an empty magazine inserted during competition. With the expeception of my STI 2011 which was designed not to lock back with an empty magazine, all my other 1911 guns can be made to easily close the slide with an empty mag inserted. If you dont let the slide slam shut (which i never do on an empty chamber), why would you NOT want this feature?

The issue here is with the Tripp Magazines and NOT the gun. I think I failed to mention yesterday that the factory Para magazines allow the slide to close on an empty gun with the mag inserted. Hoping the Tripp magazine will "break In", but not a big deal if they don't as I am thinking it will be non-issue during competition.

CB

Well I shot the gun today. After I got the sights dialed in I was pretty pleased. I did have several stovepipes but after I cleaned the feed ramp the problem went away. I was using my reloads which are 180 grain Montana Gold hollow points over 4.3 grains of Titegroup. Going forward, I won't use hollow points in this gun.

Only other item I have to report I'd that it is a bitch to get the barrel bushing to slide over the the guide rod plunger tube when I cleaned and reassembled. Oh well, I am sure the gun will continue to break in.

The slide issue......

Are you saying that you can't hold the slide stop down with your thumb and ease the slide forward?

Is the slide catching on some part of the follower?

When an empty mag is in the gun you SHOULD have to push down on the slide stop to drop the slide.

Latech,

Not to be obnoxious, but I do know something about 1911's. Please don't take that crack the wrong way. I just don't want you to think I am completely ignorant. The slide locks back on an empty mag as it should. Apparently the Tripp Research Mags will not let you ease the slide forward with an empty magazine no matter how hard you push down on the slide release. Like I said earlier, it must have something to do with the anti tilt follower design.

Peace

CB