Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9MM with Clays

RufDog

Thanks for all the great responses guys. Pinman, I appreciate your input.

-Ruf

Ruf - Been there done that, feels best with 147gr, but I suggest you check your accuracy, at the longest distance you may shoot, aka 50 yards for a standard.

I worked up a load of 3.2gn CLAYS under a Berry's 124. It is absolutely stupid nice to shoot in my new spartan... Feeds perfectly, almost no recoil and I'm getting about a 4" group at 20 yards slightly supported.

When I say no recoil, I mean it! If I knew how to post pics, I totally would show you a video but it looks like I'm shooting a 22. Knocks down steel no problem, but I haven't run it through a chrono yet. From what I've read, should be about 130PF. It's the nicest shooting load I know.

I always use clays in 45 Major, since it seems to give a nice, soft push rather than a sharp bark in recoil. I recommend trying it for sure.

I'll have to check COL for you when I'm back in town. I did some loose accuracy checks, and was getting 2" groups at 7 yards unsupported and about 4" at 20 yards resting my arms on my hood. Not the most official testing procedure, but sure seems goodenough for me!

Clays is made in Australia, as is International and Universal.... along with a mess of other extruded powders that are re-badged by Hodgdon.

Do you know what name they are sold or marketed under in Australia? Thanks

Made and Distributed as ADI (Australian Defence Industries) now owned by Thales (FRENCH)

Essentially Clays is AS30. ADI AR2208 is what Hodgdon make Varget out of, that one is not quite the same. AR2209 is so close to H4350 to be able to interchange one with the other, similar but not exactly the same as IMR4350, do not interchange those two. IMR XBR8028 is Australian made, as is Trail Boss. 2213SC is H4831, 2207 is H4198, 2205 (floor sweepings in my Hornet) is H4227, AP70 is Universal.

adi-limited.com.au is the website.

You must be aware of batch variations more than anything, especially when working up hot loads. I have seen very hot loads with 2208 cause problems when the guy got a new batch which was just a shade faster burning. He was in all honesty just pushing it too far. All he got was a hole in the primer, but the black smudge around the outside of the first primer should have been a clue.

Much of the ADI load data comes straight out of the Hodgdon Manual. You will not see it in the US, I am not sure if it is available outside NZ and Australia (if anyone knows better please correct).

Rumour has it that Hodgdon is their biggest customer, Military next, then us way down the line.