Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Extractor Spring - CZ TS

Shawneeboy87

Worked with a shooting buddy of mine to replace the extractor spring on my CTS with the "extra power" spring.

I was having extractor issues with the factory spring. After firing a round the extractor would scrape off the brass and leave it in the chamber. Its weird because it happens only after firing the first round and it's not specific to one type of brass. It's clearly grabbing the brass because it leaves a nice little mark on the brass where it went to grab.

We inspected the extractor and it looked fine -- the spring was a b**tch to get in. Not a lot of give. Has any one done this replacement before? Did it need to be trimmed when you made the change? Was the issue corrected?

see if it will feed dummy rounds when you drop the slide on a loaded mag. sometimes it binds so tightly it can't go into battery.

also, check the angle of the extractor claw and make sure it's parallel or better. make sure it doesn't have an angle on it that allows it to slip.

on SP-01s a couple times i've had to trim it ever so slightly to allow enough give to allow the claw to get around a rim and let the slide go into battery.

hi

I had a problem to fit in the power-extractor spring too.

The reason was also failure to extract ( it happened with full mag/partial full mag)

I had to squieze it in real hard, place a punch and only then could I close in the pin on the hole of the extractor...

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/846/extracto5e.jpg/

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/135/extractor1.jpg/

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/190/extractor2.jpg/

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/696/extractor3.jpg/

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/59/extractor4.jpg/

I had problems with the heavy spring not allowing the round to slide up when it cycles. Forcing me to have to hit back of slide after a lot of shots.....spring that came in TS would not extract......i put another factor spring in and walla. Works great now......

Offshore -- I'm having the same EXACT problem. Maybe the factory springs wear out after a while -- I'm going to order another one tonight, see if that fixes it. I'm also going to try cutting a rung off the extra power spring.

I had to go with another reg spring....the heavy was an embarrassment......lol....had to go to backup gun in a match.....

From the match I called CZCustom and ordered every spring for the gun.....i changed out recoil springs and extractor combinations until i found one that worked every time.....once i did i loaded 6 mags and let it rip as fast as i could and made sure nothing hiccuped....

I used it in a match 2 days later and not one malfunction.....

It was one frustrating 2 weeks for me......

Almost forgot....I am using 13# Recoil with Factory Extractor spring.....I am shooting Atlanta .40 Major Ammo.....

Edited by OffshoreMan72

It has been a while but if I remember correctly I trimmed my extra power extractor spring by 1 - 1 1/2 coils and it ran great from day one. You might call Rob at CZC to confirm or deny this rumor.

Finally got the baby running! I trimmed a coil and a half off the extra power extractor spring from CZC. I left the 14# recoil spring in the gun. I did a few Bill Drills and ran some mock stages and there were no feeding issues or failures to extract.

We'll see what happens at the next match. Thanks for everyones feedback!! :cheers:

Edited by Shawneeboy87

• 5 weeks later...

Finally got the baby running! I trimmed a coil and a half off the extra power extractor spring from CZC. I left the 14# recoil spring in the gun. I did a few Bill Drills and ran some mock stages and there were no feeding issues or failures to extract.

We'll see what happens at the next match. Thanks for everyones feedback!! :cheers:

Do you have any idea how many rounds you had through the gun when the issues showed up?

• 2 weeks later...

What Neomet said - extra power springs are too long, it should be about 10mm long after it's trimmed (1-1.5 coils).

Here is my 'how to': Click Here

Nice instructions CeeZer. The only thing I would add is when I have had trouble getting the extractor to line up as you drive the pin back in use your punch through the top of the slide as a slave pin.

First - thank you for the comment/complement.

Then:

Insert extractor with claw positioned thru and inside ejection port. Press on extractor with thumb to put it in place against slide, then press on its claw pushing it toward rear of the slide.

That is there for a reason. I'd tried to not put unnecessary single word in the doc.

Edited by CeeZer

Yup, with the xtra power though I wasn't able to get the spring compressed enough so used the punch as a slave pin. I forget I have bad nerve damage in my hands so not much strength there at all. Others probably won't have the issue. My bad.

One more thing, if anyone is looking for TOOLS (the ones I got are pretty much lifetime investment.. ha ha), here it comes:

check out post #7 by... humble me. Also, remember - USPSA gets some $$ if you order stuff off Amazon - at NO EXTRA COST TO YOU!!!

Click Here

Keep your fingers off the trigger too ...

IPSC1.jpg

IPSC3-1.jpg

:D we shoot at 'stop sign' targets in Canada... LOL...

Edited by CeeZer

Good directions CeeZer!!

I used the dermal and the abrasive pad to buff it. The finger nail sander looks like a good idea.....Have to get in my wife's bag......

link

I have found these pads to be good for a lot of things. I buffed ALL of my internals with them.