Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Deciding on a Revolver

EurAzn12

So my graduation present is going to be a revolver of my choosing I'm looking to use it for ICORE, IDPA and USPSA. Not sure what to go with though! Any opinions for most all around wheelgun? I've been eyeing the S&W 686 SSR, but also looking at the 625. I have little experience with revolvers, only have an inherited S&W .357 magnum back home that's fun to shoot turtles with (it's a mid-west thing)

Thanks!

I strongly suggest a 4" 625. You can custom load for all the shooting sports and there's a LOT of upgrade stuff for them + it's major scoring for USPSA. Then again I own 4 625's so I'm kinda prejudiced. :cheers:

I love my 4" 625. I got the JM modle and the trigger left a lot to be desired. I took it to one local smith and it was some what lighter. I brought it to a local shop I trust and they did a real trigger job. It turns out the last guy just did a little polishing and cut the return spring. This time around trusted local shop owner polished the snot out of the inside and put in a wilson spring kit. It is 1000 times better. I wish I could put some cash down and have faster reloads...

I shoot mainly IDPA so something with more than 6 will prevent you from that. I love my 625.

The 4" 625 is a great choice for all 3 games but not the best choice for all 3 games. As Warpspeed noted, the 5" version is better suited to USPSA and ICORE, if the majority of your shooting will be IDPA, you will be limited to a 4" barrel. If you buy the 4" 625 it will allow you to compete in all 3 games immediately, thereby giving you the opportunity to save some money for a revolver better suited to USPSA and ICORE.

I have 2 of the 625 models. one 4 inch, the other 5 inch. I like the 5 inch over the 4 inch. I can't understand why we're not allowed a 5 inch in idpa as there are a lot of 5 inch carry guns out there.I have a new 5 inch barrel that will replace the 4 for a backup for uspsa.

I'll be shooting mostly IDPA mostly due to the area I live in currently and will be in the near future so I'm limiting my search to 4" revolvers. I'm really liking the 686 SSR... I'll keep yall posted. Thanks for the advice so far!

I'll be shooting mostly IDPA mostly due to the area I live in currently and will be in the near future so I'm limiting my search to 4" revolvers. I'm really liking the 686 SSR... I'll keep yall posted. Thanks for the advice so far!

I would go with the 625 and shoot ESR and if later you still want to shoot SSR in IDPA you could find a cheep K frame that would be better than the SSR which is an L frame.

I'm looking to use it for ICORE, IDPA and USPSA....Any opinions for most all around wheelgun? I've been eyeing the S&W 686 SSR, but also looking at the 625.

As others mentioned, it's hard to beat a 4" 625 as an all-around gamer gun, but if it's mostly IDPA/ICORE and rarely USPSA, a 4" 686 wouldn't be a bad choice.

Tom

Last time I checked there was an SSR for sale cheap in the classified forum. :cheers:

Thanks for the tip, just checked and it's SPF... bummer! Just found out the local AFB back home gets em in every now and again for $720 out the door.

Get the 4" 625, for the following reason:

By the time you get good enough to care about the extra inch of barrel, you'll have a box of revolvers sitting around and you'll still want to shoot IDPA. Since it's the perfect ESR gun you won't be losing anything by buying it now, and it gives you the most exposure to the other sports.

I really do not see a 5" 625 having any real advantage over a 4" 625. It comes down to practicing with what you have and getting good at it. I personally use (and am not suggesting) a Ruger Alaskan in .45 Colt caliber which has a 2 1/2" barrel. I don't think that by my performance in that matches that I have competed in (IDPA or USPSA) that my accuracy was worse than anyone shooting the longer barreled revolvers that I have seen. I would be tempted to say that the whole barrel thing is primarily in the heads of the shooters.

The speed aspect of IDPA and USPSA is where my fellow competitors have me at a disadvantage. I have had more points after penalties than any of my fellow competitors had in raw points in a state match before that I can specifically point to. It was being slower in the overall match that hurt me in the standings. I am working on that issue and plan to give a better overal showing in the future.

I do own an 625 with a 4" barrel, and still prefer my Alaskan over it. My general suggestion is that a 625 is one of the best choices from revolver shooters due to availability of parts and (aftermarket)improvements that is greatly due to its popularity. I don't think that you will be disapointed with a 4" 625.

I really do not see a 5" 625 having any real advantage over a 4" 625. It comes down to practicing with what you have and getting good at it. I personally use (and am not suggesting) a Ruger Alaskan in .45 Colt caliber which has a 2 1/2" barrel. I don't think that by my performance in that matches that I have competed in (IDPA or USPSA) that my accuracy was worse than anyone shooting the longer barreled revolvers that I have seen. I would be tempted to say that the whole barrel thing is primarily in the heads of the shooters.

The speed aspect of IDPA and USPSA is where my fellow competitors have me at a disadvantage. I have had more points after penalties than any of my fellow competitors had in raw points in a state match before that I can specifically point to. It was being slower in the overall match that hurt me in the standings. I am working on that issue and plan to give a better overal showing in the future.

I do own an 625 with a 4" barrel, and still prefer my Alaskan over it. My general suggestion is that a 625 is one of the best choices from revolver shooters due to availability of parts and (aftermarket)improvements that is greatly due to its popularity. I don't think that you will be disapointed with a 4" 625.

Well now, I wouldn't necessarily agree. ;-)

You can be as accurate with a shorter barrel, but it's harder to be as accurate with a shorter barrel, and thus takes more time. We've shot together down in Memphis and you run that Ruger beautifully, but I wouldn't suggest it as an equivalent competition gun to a 5". The space on either side of your front sight means much more to your actual results with the shot, whereas a longer barrel removes some of the uncertainty. With any space on either side of my sight (yes, I've tested this) I'm going to get a C hit out to 15 yards. With a 3", that's not necessarily true, so it takes a fraction more time to confirm the amount of space on either side of the sight rather than just confirming it's there. It's the same reason a dot sight is so much faster, it takes less visual detail to confirm alignment.

• 2 weeks later...

Do you reload? I don't. 38 ammo is way cheaper than 45's if you are buying factory rounds.

Also, the 686 is a great gun. I shoot it in both IDPA and USPSA.

I do reload and reload a ton of .45ACP already so that's not much of a deciding factor. I think I'm going to go with the 625... I got to shoot it last weekend and really liked it!