Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Crimping/wad issues

Mack1207

I'm using a Lee Load-all 2 Shotgun reloader for 12ga and I am having a few issues. The wad seems to be dropping to far down the shell and the crimp is never closed enough. I will attach photos and any information anyone could give me to resolve this issue would be great!

post-37513-0-86007700-1333932654_thumb.j

post-37513-0-05257600-1333932662_thumb.j

post-37513-0-20682700-1333932670_thumb.j

post-37513-0-75018000-1333932680_thumb.j

You need some more wads like this:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/161681/bpi-shotshell-wads-12-gauge-125-nitro-card-bag-of-500

Makes the stack of components in the hull the right height. Alternatively you can trim the hull down to a length that works for you.

I trim my hulls for slug loads and use a roll crimper with a hand held drill. I cut a piece of pvc pipe to the length I wanted and saw off what sticks out.

Either way, but wads are cheap and will save you alot of time.

you are using hulls that I would not try to reload. try using AAs or Remington smooth hulls with brass bases. also get the correct wad for the load that you are trying to do. It appears you have a wad that is designed for a much heavier load than what you are loading. the bottom of the wad should set on the powder or on the ridge inside the hull down near the powder. then the top of the hull petals should end just below where the crimp fold will be. then your payload should fill the hull to just above the top of the wad petals. Then, when all of that is correct, you have to work on getting the crimp "tuned" to the load/shell combo, which is an art by itself.

All of this info is just what I have learned by trial and error, and may not be correct...but it works for me... :unsure:

good luck!

jj

It seems your knowledge of shotgun reloading is lacking. You DON"T just grab any 12 gauge hull, put powder in it, stuff any wad in and then drop whatever amount of shot you decide on and expect it to look like a factory fresh loads. Shotgun reloading is done by established recipes given by the various powder companies on their websites. As the good Doctor said use the specific recipe for the powder you want to use, in a hull with the correct wad and amount of shot or invest in a trauma kit. You ARE going to hurt yourself and maybe other folks as well. :angry2:

Pat

There is some margin for error (not much) in shotgun reloading but remember that the hull needs to handle most of the pressure of the powder explosion. When you get your reloading manual, notice that they list pressures for loads and that one single component change such as powder, wad, or primer can change the amount of pressure the load expariences.

Better get a good manual, pick a good hull like the Fiocchi in your picture(IMHO either sell or throw away the Federal hulls) then look in the manual for a recipe that fits the hull. High brass will need to be resized and low brass like you have may not depending on what they were shot out of. You will also need to know what weight/volume each bushing is throwing. You can tweek bushings down by painting with nail polish.

Good luck and be safe.

Can you list your components? Which wad, how much shot and how much of which powder? With sg reloading, changing primers can result in changes to powder charge more so that with metallic cartridges...

I've learned (the hard way) that not all the load data listed in manuals will necessarily give you a good crimp. Some wads end up being too much for that hull or not enough to give you a nice crimp. Or the hull has too much volume or not enough. Varying the wad pressure can sometimes give you enough wiggle room to compensate but often you need a longer or shorter wad. The LLA does not have any adjustments so your arm or rather the pressure you apply will be your adjustment...

Edited by kamikaze1a

• 1 month later...

I always use AA's or Remington STS shells for reloading. The AA's are the 7-1/2 shot and the STS's are 9's. Wads are Claybuster pink for 1oz load. Works like a charm.

13.6 gr of Hodgen Clays powder for a 1200fps shot.

Edited by Mike Morcillo