Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

new m&p .45 doesn't run

mumzer

gun doesn't cycle reliably with fiocchi , cci or wwb. it behaves a lot like some pistols that don't like big hollow points or long o.a.l. on closer inspection it loads and extracts ok, but as the fresh round is stripped it appears to hang on the extractor claw or breech face and stops before it goes into battery. initially it looked to need some feed ramp polishing. seating the mag again HARD will allow it to go into battery. Applying light pressure to the extractor tail will do the same.

any experience with this phenomenon? do these things require much break in time. how about breach, extractor or feed ramp work?clearly not acceptable on a gun intended for military or police....snort.

Edited by mumzer

Call Smith and Wesson.

I had a .45 with a threaded barrel that had some issues as well, sent it in came back working like a top. The issue was actually in the barrel lug area messing with the timing.

This was about a year ago I think... hard to remember.

Mine would feed okay at times, then hang up and not go into battery. A smack on the back would get it going. Now mine had two barrels as it was the kit, and the issue was only with one so that helped track it down. You could actually feel it catching in the lug area as you worked the slide if you did it slow.

Not saying it is your issue though, I sent it into smith and the replaced the barrel that was at issue. Also got a free mag out of it. I did sell the gun after making sure it worked though, no real reason just found something else shiny while it was away.

it's piss poor. there is no way this thing was qc'd. it will hang on the second round out of the mag. i just switched from Hk, and at this point badly second guessing myself. the mp ergonomics are amazing. I know smith has terrific QC...they better with this kind of out of the box performance.

it is hard to overlook the fact the gun won't go bang when I pull the trigger...even at half of hk's price.

lame.

Look, ease up, I've never had ONE pistol, including an H&K that I didn't have to send back for something. They are complicated machines.

Send it back with a detailed letter and they will make it right. If not, go over heads and send it back again.

I KNOW how disappointing it is, but you just have to work it.

Look, ease up, I've never had ONE pistol, including an H&K that I didn't have to send back for something. They are complicated machines.

Send it back with a detailed letter and they will make it right. If not, go over heads and send it back again.

I KNOW how disappointing it is, but you just have to work it.

Maybe I've just been fortunate but all 11 of my pistols have worked well out of the box. I have or had 5 STI's, a Buckmrk, 3 Springfiels and 2 S&W's. Only my STI Spartan hung up at all and that was just on Montana Gold JHP's for the first 500 rounds or so. It was the tightest slide to frame fit of any of my guns and it still ate all other ammo 100 percent from the get go.

There is no need to put up with a malfunctioning new gun. Send it in for repair.

I have looking at getting a MP , but here lately seems more and more you hear about guys having problems with them, I know all guns have problems from time to time, But the MP has really had alot the last year just from reading around on different forums. Hope they get it figured out. Would love to add a couple to the group.

Let us know what they do ?

Disagree completely with Saab, sorry. My usp's ran like old AKs, scarfing up every imaginable ammo. Same experience with browning high powers...and shockingly even a modded Tanfoglio match gun, that is so tight it tends to push grease out of the frame rails.

S&w markets this gun as a fighting pistol and presumed to pitch it to the dept. of defense as such. Those tests typically require 5k m.r.b.s. from randomly selected samples. I can't get through 1mag.

it's a poor performance.

Edited by mumzer

S&W is swamped with orders and running as hard as they can. Hell all of them are, Ruger has even quit taking new orders. It just stands to reason a bad one gets through or even a few.

O/P, call them, they will make it right. Mine is fantastic, you'll like it when it's right.

Edited by Shadowrider

I have switched to the M&P 9mm 5"pro for shooting sports because I seem to shoot them pretty well, and both of mine have run well, however, Glock is a better gun in my opinion, and the one I carry daily. There are just too many glitches in these things that S&W does not seem to want to address. After market triggers are almost a must, poor frame to slide fit is pandemic and accuracy issues are well documented. Having to say "I got lucky with mine" is not acceptable quality control.

yes they do, however, S&W seems to make very little effort to correct their shortcomings. personally, if I ran a company that produced a gun that was so inaccurate (in many examples) I would correct that ASAP rather than be constantly maligned on the forums. The gun has the potential to supplant many other brands, but so far, they are satisfied with adequete.

All I can say is that I think I have either had or seen a bad gun from every manufacture I can think of, and the more they make the more I have seen.

Also the idea that these are made for Duty etc.. or any gun making the claim.. if you choose to take it as fact and not test it that is a very very bad idea.

And HK is far from perfect I had a USP 9 that was fine, yet my friend had a USP 45 Compact that would not run a single mag.. and talk about bad CS.. it was a nightmare. I do hear it is getting better these days.

I would think anyone who is not happy with there gun, or the company should sell it and move on to what makes them happy. Life is too short to not be happy with what you have.

Agreed with skd-- at this point, I've seen every make of firearm have an issue. I'd venture to say that I've seem them all have an issue that wasn't shooter, ammo, or magazine related.

In anything that is mass produced, it's going to happen. Batch testing is only good for preventing entire lots of lemons from hitting the market; it does absolutely squat for the occasional pistol that has suffered from tolerance stacking, or a random casting burr, or any of the million other possibilities that can cause a problem in what is essentially a pretty intricately timed machine.

Call Smith, get your free shipping label, and send it off. The 45 platform is the least griped about of all the M&P line; you've got a one-in-a-million issue, IOW. They'll sort it out, and then you can dump the gun afterwards if you like.

Or I'll take it off your hands now, issues included, for a hefty discount. :lol:

were is the love! we have 7 Pro's and 1 45 with a second on the way.

no issues. and none are no longer stock but each a specialize machine for a specfic job.

all classes of IDPA and USPSA, well open is being machined as we speak.

I was doing some research on this subject last night, as I realized that my 45 is "sluggish" at the end of the spring cycle into battery in much the same way you're describing.

It boils down to a tight extractor fit over the case rim. A couple of folks have knocked a coil off of the spring and completely solved the problem, as it seems the extractor itself is not the culprit. Others have simply shot theirs a lot to wear it in.

I've never had an FTF/failure to return to battery on mine, although when performing a press check, I have to assist the slide back into battery or give the back of it a tap. With a dummy in place, I tried smacking the muzzle against a few things to see if it would cause a problem, but it never did...

At any rate, at least it's some info for you, whether you choose to apply it/try it yourself, send it to Smith and include your suspicions in a letter, or just let them figure it out and dump it afterwards.

Mine feeds RN's all day. Never had an issue. But I found out from day one that SWC don't feed at all. S&W's answer is that it was designed as combat pistol and not designed for bulls eye(go figure). I see there are a few guys who have pics posted of them opening the shoulders on barrel up and that seems to fix the SWC problem.

• 3 weeks later...

I have looking at getting a MP , but here lately seems more and more you hear about guys having problems with them, I know all guns have problems from time to time, But the MP has really had alot the last year just from reading around on different forums. Hope they get it figured out. Would love to add a couple to the group.

Let us know what they do ?

I have a 2012 produced M&P9. I had an earlier M&P9 that had some issues--none that would prevent it from firing--but issues just the same. I looked at several of these 2012 production 9s before I purchased this one. None of them exihibited the "flaws" that the earlier run had. My 2012 production 9 is very well machined.

YMMV

4-Fun

Edited by 4-Fun

• 2 weeks later...

pistol is back. They claim they replaced extractor and it runs properly now. heading to range this weekend to assess function.

they gave me no shit at all for the full apex install...pistol came back with the full kit aboard, and no comments about them.

I shoot my M&P 45 FS considerably better than my PX4 Compact 9mm and am thinking about selling the PX4 to get a compact I can shoot better. As far as Quality goes, had to send the PX4 back due to a faulty locking block, had to send an M&P magazine spring back due to it bending badly. Never had to send my Ruger P89 back for anything? Should I have kept it? I do have to say that Smith and Wesson was much quicker at getting my stuff back. Took about a week for the magazine spring and over a month for the PX4.