Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best CZ for both USPSA and IDPA production.

thrlskr

I shoot both USPSA and IDPA..... I chose the 75 Shadow over the SP-01 Shadow because of the the looks of both. I like the traditional look of a short dust cover. I was at Ghost products(CZ Custom) in Mesa AZ yesterday. I handled my 75 Shadow and a SP-01 Shadow side by side. The SP-01 is defiantly heavier in the nose. I like the balance of mine a little better. But Angus brought out Both of his SP-01 match guns and they were Both SP-01s. You are asking for an opinion so be prepared for what the masses bring out of their range bags is going to be drastically different from person to person. I have found that the weight means nothing until you get used to shooting that particular gun. If you want a pistol out of the box that you can shoot both... get the 75 Shadow...... If you want to mess with grips, mags, and sight combos to make weight for IDPA get the SP-01. They are both exceptional pistols and come from a shop that are very in tune with the shooting community. I had some ammo taken by the TSA on my trip to AZ. Angus gave me 100 rounds of his personal ammo to get my 75 Shadow sighted in with my new sights. And invited me to go shoot with him tomorrow to try out his SP-01 to see the difference. Ill get back to you after shooting them side by side. To me it is he same conversation as 115 vs 124, 147 grain bullets.... get one and shoot the piss out of it. I an shoot 20% more with a cheaper bullet so I went with the 115 grain. Angus shoots 125 grain becuase he is a Grand Master level shooter and can tell the difference from the two grain bullets. I on the other hand cannot. If you do either pistol. get the competition trigger job... it is not a stock option. My 75 Shadow has a 6 lb double and a 2lb single and is fantastic.

The SP01 Shadow needs a slight diet to make IDPA SSP weight. if the weight restriction goes away at any time it would be not an issue.

One gun for both sports and divisions , the 75 Shadow is the easy choice. With a competition trigger job the gun is an awesome shooter.

I recently bought a standard CZ75B and added CGW parts to clean up the trigger action and then got sights, too. I would have been ahead of the game getting the 75 Shadow T DA/SA but at the time, no one was sure when they could be delivered. I am very happy with my gun, and I have learned a lot by doing everything myself, but I may STILL get a 75 Shadow T DA/SA for IDPA and use the one I built for the 22. My recommendation is to go for the 75 Shadow DA/SA at the start rather than build one, and skip the firing pin safety block altogether.

I really, really like the CZ platform, now that I understand how the firing pin safety block works and can assemble/disassemble the sear cage and trigger bar. A little more challenging than a SIG, but not bad, just different.

Joe

There are some subtle differences other than the weight up front that may matter. The Shadow T's frame is ABSOLUTLEY different than the SP01's.... contrary to what I was told. The mag opening on the SP01 is beveled significantly making mag changes very smooth. The Shadow T's are not beveled and doing that manually may put you into ESP as opposed to SSP in IDPA fwiw. The SP01 also has some factory stippling on the back strap.. the SHADOW T does not. Although it may not matter (unless you want to replace more parts) the Shadow T has tumbler style safeties- the SP01 doesn't.

I do have a Shadow T and love it but I'll likely shoot it in ESP and Production. I was able to get some CZ85 safeties that are much better than the stock ones. The triggers on these guns are great... but for some reason it's taking me a while to adjust to it having shot the Glock for several years....

Lugnut,

That IS interesting and different from what I'd heard. Does the 75 Shadow and Shadow T have the same frame? In retrospect do you wish you'd gotten the SP-01 Shadow and lightened it?

Lugnut,

That IS interesting and different from what I'd heard. Does the 75 Shadow and Shadow T have the same frame? In retrospect do you wish you'd gotten the SP-01 Shadow and lightened it?

I have no real regrets. However I have no issue shooting in ESP vs SSP if I have to. I also like the balance of the Shadow T in my hands. That being said I would have liked the mag opening to be beveled and the rear strap to be stippled. It took me a while to figure out which safeties to use- I would have swapped them our regardless of which model I purchased. I think most of the action is virtually identical and my trigger is just as good as other SP01s I've tried.

As far as the SP01 in SSP... making the weight limit seemed like too much of a PITA. I didn't want that hassle.

75 Shadow is built on the 75 SA frame

the SP01 Shadow is built on the SP01 frame ( it has been said there are some differences between the SP01 Shadow frame and the SP01 frame)

75SA frame is short dustcover, upswept beavertail, D style mag release, mag well is NOT beveled, ambi safeties.

Not sure who would have said the frames are the same or near the same. They never have been.

Not sure who would have said the frames are the same or near the same. They never have been.

Thanks. For some reason I thought the dustcover was the only difference.

I like the idea of the beveled mag well.

75 shadow massaged by eerw. :devil:

I have one of those.

I WANT one of those!

I can't afford one of those. :roflol:

Wow eerw must be good AND expensive!

NOT that expensive!

what is that they say

you want it done fast

you want it done cheap

you want it done right

pick two.

• 5 months later...

My plan is to use the short dustcover Shadow from Angus and the crew for both games. It came in today, very pleased with the initial inspection re: fit, finish and general feel. Did not get the competition trigger tune up from Stuart (yet). SA is very nice, about 3.5 lbs, nice short reset. DA is heavy IMO, but never worked with a DA/SA for any length of time (and not a revolver guy at all)so need to practice with it. DA measures about 9-10 lbs but is smooth.

Couple of questions for you guys:

- Want to shoot SSP in IDPA, which is why I got the short duscover model. But my scale weighs it at 38.95 ounces with an empty mag (18 round with long basepad). My scale is pretty accurate but this is too close and could be a problem at the bigger matches. I didn't want to screw with this weight thing but looks like I need to in order to make SSP with any reasonable margin of error. Suggestions?

- Used to shooting the M&P in Production and guns with mag wells in SS, Limited, Open. I assume that I cannot bevel the flat edges on this CZ well without violating the SSP rul3 that states no "Externally visible modifications other than sights and grips"? Looking for magic here......

Thanks!

Custom Shadow T, black aluminum grips, smooth with the grip tape panels. Not sure if they are thick or thin, but like the feel (of course haven't shot it yet). I have VZ grips on my SS guns and like them, would they save weight?

Magazines.... it came with 3 of the 18 rounders and I bought 3 more. Trying to keep things simple, etc. Don't like 10 round mags in a production gun, loading down hi cap mags to 10 makes for a softer, more reliable reload IMO. So since I have 6 of them is there some other (easy, less expensive) option to get that 0.5 - 1 oz safety margin?

No response on the mag well lip beveling, I guess I am outta luck there, eh?