Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

"when tired, rest, when thirsty, drink, but above all else....&#34

seancswife

so i have had this partial quote stuck in my head for a few weeks. the lesson i heard with this quote was that as simple as things may appear, they are not always easy to accomplish. " if you are thirsty drink", sounds simple enough. yet in truth often we find ourselves moving on to the next thing versus stopping and getting that drink. I believe the idea is to be present and aware enough to just be.

the part that is a sticking point in my head... "above all else...". i hear it in my head, the voice, the tone which i originally heard it, but i can't finish the sentence. the quote is only partial to begin with, but i just keep wondering what part is missing? being on this site i imagine the full quote could be, "above all else, just be"

i know i will find it again some where, just figured this might be a good place to ask.

Every iteration I remember of this quote is simply, "When you are hungry, eat. When you are thirsty, drink, and when you are tired, sleep."

Or some variation of that with different syntax. Original sources generally cite Chinese or Buddhist proverb... Not that I have any clue.

Every iteration I remember of this quote is simply, "When you are hungry, eat. When you are thirsty, drink, and when you are tired, sleep."

I can't find it at the moment, but the ending I remember for that quote goes like, "Fools will laugh at you, but the wise will understand."

There is no place in Buddhism for using effort.

Just be ordinary and nothing special.

Relieve your bowels, pass water, put on your clothes, and eat your food.

When you're tired, go and lie down.

Ignorant people will laugh at me, but the wise will understand.

It is Lin Chi but what is strange I was reading the Dhammapada today and came across it in a reference. To me this quote has always reminded me to be in the moment but not of it and to unconditionally accept that which is in front of me and not be moving onto the next thing. Alan Watts once said, " Zen does not confuse spirituality with thinking about God while one is peeling potatoes. Zen spirituality is just to peel the potatoes."

Lee

Edited by Mitch_Rapp.45

Could it be, "When you sit - sit. When you stand - stand. Above all, do not wobble"

~Ummon

Lee

That's got to be it!

I thought the OP was referring to a Lin Chi quote, but didn't remember Lin Chi's version ending with any sort of "above all."

Nice work.

be

I've heard different variations of this before and it always struck me a very good advice. Attempt to lead a simple life but do it at your own pace, in rhythm with the nature of your body.

Which is very strange because almost every culture has a group of (religious) people who try to achieve the first part by ignoring the second part. Almost without exception, monastic life is extremely regimented. It is said that the monks invented clocks because they needed to know exactly when to pray. And look where that got us, even this forum will tell you exactly when I created and edited this post...

Edited by Graham Smith

Could it be, "When you sit - sit. When you stand - stand. Above all, do not wobble"

~Ummon

Lee

Yes! That's the one. :bow: All the others are great too. Thanks for the help. All of these quotes are needed in my daily life right now.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...