Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm major with hybrid barrel or poppel holes

infinity38s45

I have one more question, I ordered my 9major from FGW, but he don't like the idea of having a hibrid barrel for 9major bec he said it will create a really high pressure for such a small casing of 9mm,I ordered the gun with ribbed hibrid blank barrel with the gun, for intention to have it drilled later on to become hibrid, now do you guys know who does that kind of service for the barrel?

If you are having Bobby at FGW build your gun and he doesn't recommend holes. Why would you have another smith drill them?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you want flat as can be, I'd suggest 38 super/SC, but flat isn't always better. If you read David Re's or XRe's blog he has a great write up on the perception of flat. I myself had similar questions wanting a 9 major with holes. It can be done, but the pistol needs to be designed for it. If Bobby recommends against it and then you drill holes, then the slide cracks, you won't be able to blame FGW or the smith that drilled the holes.

I had the same conversation with Bobby when I ordered my 9-Major open gun. I went with the Schuemann Ultimatch barrel, but I had him cut a slot in the top of the slide. This way I could add holes if I ever had the gun rebarreled in 38SC without needing a new finish on the gun. I have to say, the gun shoots pretty damn flat with the Thundercomp and no holes.

I ordered the gun in the last week of November 2011 and received it April 12, 2012. I probably wouldn't have received the gun for 6 more weeks had it been sent out for Atranite. I highly recommend you go with the in-house parkerized finish. I don't think I could handle knowing my gun was built, but waiting 1-2 more months just for the finish to be applied.

This is my 9major set up with bbl ports,

Schuemann Hrbrid 4 port 2 machine, holes size 3/16,9/64, with EGW COMP 6CHAMBERS 4 TOP ports,4 side ports, Projectile-Zero 125c, OAl 1.175, Powder HS7 9.8GR. pF 173, Same spec as above but with Vhit N350,7.5gr. PF 170.. The 7.5gr. N350 shoots softer, Flatness are almost the same. By the way, I am using 8lbs of Sprinco and ISMI recoil springs and 17lbs main springs also from ISMI

newpics133.jpg

newpics130.jpg

8.3 of HS6 and 7.0 of WAC both make the same Pf as above, but for now its the VhitN350 shoots the softest and flat., a buddy of mine who shoots STI MM, also find the N350 better for his gun. I should be okay with HS7 in the next 3 years, was able to stack for about 20lbs.

Powder Powder, I think this is my 3 year jumped right in to open lots of costly mistakes, Lets call it learning curve$..One knowledgable open shooter I meet first shoot, (thanks RICH) when ask what power should I should use said, I'm glad you asked he said and handed me a stack of papers 1/2 inch thick (his test results) i said no just tell me what to buy he said Silhouette shoots the softest (shooting 38 Super then) and explained why (I'm sure all i heard was by a Dillon & Silhouette) so I've been shooting Silhouette...Now since I've have gained this infinite knowledge base. lol.. I decided to load up, and with the help of a new shooter that loves to try every powder on earth (thank goodness for these people) and find the best..tried many many other loads everything from every H to 3 this and that in the book to Autocomp and Silhouette, even in a blind dot test, Silhouette still moved the dot less..NOW shooting 9Major and back to what i started with..

infinity38s45 My smith drilled the holes, but it started with no holes, its a R&D lol, then drilled the one then another hole, in fact this is my 3rd comp. finally found best of my liking. Roger Kotanko built my gun, By the way, The Omega P.O. is more accurate then my gun, +3sec./month. thanks

infinity38s45 My smith drilled the holes, but it started with no holes, its a R&D lol, then drilled the one then another hole, in fact this is my 3rd comp. finally found best of my liking. Roger Kotanko built my gun, By the way, The Omega P.O. is more accurate then my gun, +3sec./month. thanks

Nice looking pistol!! Love the deep cut behind the breech face!

How did you decide to go to one hole and then another? With what comps did you test and when did the holes come into play (with which comp)? From what my gunsmith is telling is that a setup like that (light slide/heavy barrel-comp) would not work "optimally". In fact, he won't build one like that unless you tell him that you won't come back complaining about it since he doesn't recommend it.

Thanks for more input...

it started with a Millenium titanium comp,unfortunately it cracked, tried the bedell comp,although it shoot flatter but the recoil still hits on my hand , thats when I decided to put a hole in the bbl. Because I have a spare EGW comp(0n the Pics) we decided to try using . this time it shoots more flat with a little slap on the hand, the last port on the bbl. improved the recoil. I just mentioned the comp aspect,dont forget about the spring and load combo. finally it shoots softer and flat. with Vhit. N350 and HS7, I am lucky that my smith is very accommodating.I guess everybody has its own setup and concept on an open gun. I can never be more happy of my setup right now.

Just finished up my build with the Akai shoto comp. Per my chat with Shay then with Gary from Gans I decided to go with two 3/16 holes straight up. All I can say is i'm glad I did. The Infinity barrel is faster than my Trubor barrel with the Brazos cuts. I actually get an increase in power factor with my new gun with holes. 7.5g of silh with a 124 montana gold cmj im getting 172pf. The gun is so flat and soft compaired to my other open gun its unreal. It just snaps back on target. It is 9 major.

Just finished up my build with the Akai shoto comp. Per my chat with Shay then with Gary from Gans I decided to go with two 3/16 holes straight up. All I can say is i'm glad I did. The Infinity barrel is faster than my Trubor barrel with the Brazos cuts. I actually get an increase in power factor with my new gun with holes. 7.5g of silh with a 124 montana gold cmj im getting 172pf. The gun is so flat and soft compaired to my other open gun its unreal. It just snaps back on target. It is 9 major.

Awesome! Please share pics! Thanks

Yes. Gary did an excellent job as always. He convinced me to go up one size from what Shay said. Glad I did. I can't feel any blast or extra noise. Its the best set up I have run. I know your going to love it.

Is this a full size or shorty? Also, how cut up if any is your slide? Slide weight would be a plus too. Thanks

Correct me if I misread your post, but did you say you were able to put less powder for your major 9mm load after adding the holes? If so, how much less? Thanks.

I for one was very hesitant to put the holes, its the fear not to make major with nine, but sometimes you have to take that risk. My setup is a flashback of the old power factor of 175. well it works for me.