Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Throating a barrel

Doc Hunter

Let's keep in mind that in the world of custom 1911 gunsmithing, the phrase "throating a barrel" traditionally means something completely different than what is being discussed here.

Throating a barrel means to recontour and open up the entrance to the chamber, to create a smoother and less abrupt "funnel" to direct the cartridge into the chamber.

I mention this because there seem to be a number of 1911 shooters who are posting about their feedway malfunctions, and in several instances it has been recommended that a throating job will solve the problem. I can see some serious confusion arising (particularly among the beginners) if they think they're supposed to be lengthening their chambers in order to stop feedway jams!

• 1 year later...

Let's keep in mind that in the world of custom 1911 gunsmithing, the phrase "throating a barrel" traditionally means something completely different than what is being discussed here.

Throating a barrel means to recontour and open up the entrance to the chamber, to create a smoother and less abrupt "funnel" to direct the cartridge into the chamber.

I mention this because there seem to be a number of 1911 shooters who are posting about their feedway malfunctions, and in several instances it has been recommended that a throating job will solve the problem. I can see some serious confusion arising (particularly among the beginners) if they think they're supposed to be lengthening their chambers in order to stop feedway jams!

True. But I believe the reamer that's used to add freebore is called a throating reamer.

From Clymers website:

Sometimes called “freebore reamers”, throaters are

used to extend the throat of a chamber in order to give

more clearance around the bullet.

Wonder if they do that just to bamboozle the beginners? :-)

Edited by titandriver

Ain't no trainee but this kinda bamboozled me too. All I can tell ya is I took my Para 16 Limited and some 1.200 DC Ammo to Shay at Akai Custom Guns and he gave me back a 1911 platform that runs anything I want to load up. :cheers: Still donno what the reamer is called. Don't need to! That's why I got a superior gunsmith. :goof:

Ron

US Navy Aviator - ex

NRA Life

USPSA FY63917

SoFla Pistol Club

Lucky enough to be born American

Edited by buckaroo45