Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock 19

Craigt

Hello everyone,

My fiancé and I are fairly new to shooting and would like to try shooting in some IPSC matches for fun. She is smaller and she likes the Glock 19 we have been renting at the range over the 17. I know most people go with a longer gun (34 or 17) for competition, so my question is, would she be at a great disadvantage with the 19?

Craig

I can only say whatever is comfortable for her, go for it. I carry the 19 and shoot it in matches. Works fine for me. It just depends on what she wants to do.

No disadvantage to shooting it vs the 17/34. The key is just shoot and enjoy.

Mike

I carry and shoot the 19 in USPSA matches. I ended up putting the +2 magazine extenders on my comp magazines to make the grip larger for now instead of buying my sweetheart gun, the 34. Eventually I'll just pony up and buy the thing, but I enjoy shooting my 19 so much right now I stick with it.

The key is to get her comfortable with whatever she wants to shoot. I can tell you from experience, if you come at her with the whole "you HAVE to use this gun" position, she'll tell you have fun while you're at the range while she stays home. As long as it's practical and safe, let her shoot what she wants to shoot, if it's the 19, go for it, I know several guys who use the 19 in competitions.

I know this seems like an odd idea, but you could also put an extended barrel on to make up the difference.

OR purchase a 17 and get the grip cut down to 19 length. Gives you the feel of a 19, but barrel of the 17.

Personally, I don't feel a huge difference between the 19 and 17 when shooting them, so I'd just leave it all stock lengths.

I have shot my 19 in matches before and shot it just as well as I do my 35. In reality the extra sight radius is easier for more accurate/tighter shots but the 19 will shoot groups just as good as almost any other production gun out there. If you were, or she were, to stick with it I would just change the sights and then maybe some trigger work when there is more confidence with the gun.

The 19 is just fine but many people will put games sights on their 34s (fiber optic or black serrated) while their 19s carry night sights for home defense. You'll shoot a tiny bit faster with game sights but I kept the stock night sights on my 19 so I could keep it as my bedside gun.