Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Speed Tax II

bountyhunter

If you want to know what the REAL "speed tax" is, just drive down the freeway in kalifornia. Since our government is 35BILLION in debt, the california Highway Patrol have announced a new "zero tolerance" for speeders. They wrote 1100 tickets yesterday in one corridor of I-680 yesterday.

I might respect them if they just owned up to it... but they are also lying about why they are doing it. they now claim speeding is the #1 cause of fatal accidents... a lie disproven by the statistics they publish every year which shows alcohol/drug impaired drivers are the #1 cause of fatals, and driving too fast for conditions (but within the posted limit) was #2.... the horrific accidents in the fog banks of the central valleys are that category. Exceeding posted limit was usually #3 or #4.

So, don't speed in Kali... in fact, don't drive at all. One guy complained he got a ticket for going the speed of traffic since doing less would be a traffic hazard... they asked a CHP about it and he said: "Eventually everybody will be going the speed limit."

Yeah... I wonder what color the sky is on the world where he lives?

I like this quote from a landspeed record setter, "Speed never killed no one, it's the sudden stops." I wonder if that will work in court.

Let see, speeding tax is what, about $300 x 1100 = $330,000. Not bad for a day's work.

Bountyhunter,

Not that this will make you feel any better, but in VA. all monies collected from enforcement efforts go into a State Literary fund to help fund childrens reading programs. Nothing else. Its in the Va. code. The State Police or any other govt. agency don't see one dime. For us, a good day at work keeps ebonics out of our school systems for another day. :D

Erik

Bountyhunter,

Not that this will make you feel any better, but in VA. all monies collected from enforcement efforts go into a State Literary fund to help fund childrens reading programs.  Erik

That's cool. I was surprised to learn out here that most of the money from tickets collected by the cities has to be kicked back to the state government.... kind of like the old feudal system where the little lords had to pay liege to the big lord. In fact, most city DPS (department of public safety) operate at a loss and need the money but the state takes almost all of the fines collected. The CHP fines obviously go straight to sacramento being that they are a state police agency.

• 2 weeks later...

I was visited by the hiway tax collector last night, seems i was paid in full at the time, i did however get a written warning and then threatened with the 'busted tail light tax" I know the speed tax collectors dont like to see a truck full of pistols returning from the gun range, he got all worried and asked me to stand outside the truck and he went and checked out my peestols.

i guess he had taxed enough folks that night, as i was sent home with a warning.. :wub: thats what im talkin about.

Bountyhunter,

Not that this will make you feel any better, but in VA. all monies collected from enforcement efforts go into a State Literary fund to help fund childrens reading programs. Nothing else. Its in the Va. code. The State Police or any other govt. agency don't see one dime. For us, a good day at work keeps ebonics out of our school systems for another day. :D

Erik

This might explain why you spent so much time in the crossover designing IPSC stages!

• 6 months later...

A couple weeks ago I got pulled over by the CHP at 1:30 AM for 82 in a 65 zone in SoCal. I don't know whether it was my Nevada license or the rental car but he didn't make me sign a promise to appear. Shortest detention ever, he just told me to slow down.

So at the rate of 1100 tickets a day they will pay the national debt off in 291years.

Don't hold your breath.

The lies the Govt / Police tell about speed is a worldwide problem. They introduced speed cameras to reduce the number of road deaths. They issued more tickets than they ever have and the amount of deaths stayed about the same (staistically) so they upped the fines and introduced minimum quotas of tickets for the Police to issue.

It used to be Drunk Drivers who caused accidents and killed the most, now we have the lowest DUI rate ever, so they lower the Blood / Alcohol level before they prosecute, to get the people who used to be considered safe but suddenly they are more dangerous than they used to be. But the road toll stays the same.

It must be said that I will not drive if I have had more than 1 beer or spirit drink in the lst 4 or 5 hours. I don't want to be even remotely responsible for injuring someone else for the sake of a drink.

Now that the drunks don't drive as much, they had to find another problem to justify the industry of stealth vehicular taxation.

The best way to cut the road toll is to make any person who wishes to drive a car, ride a really powerful motorcycle for a year or two. There will unfortunately be a spike in the graph for a while but it will settle down as Darwinian Law takes effect. All the fecking useless drivers will be killed off leaving all the remaining loonies to drive our cars. The long term effect will be we will all grow a second set of eyes and a fully rotatable head. :P

But in the meantime get a really good Radar Detector and a M1 Abrams.