Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glass For Heavy Metal Optic?

eringobragh

I'm wanting to start shooting some Heavy Metal Optic division here and there.

Was curious if anyone had some suggestions on a optic for an AR10 type carbine. In my area we are pretty much limited to bays 100 yards and less with the average bays being 25 to 35 yards.

I've been running an Aimpoint Micro in Tactical which I've been real happy with...considering our lack of distance locally I had debated just running another Aimpoint Micro!? Also considered something in the 1-4X or 1-6X range but with my astigmatisms if the 1X isn't true it really bugs out my eyes. I had a Millet DMS that I thought would be the ticket, but the 1X screwed with my eyes so I sold it...I really liked the circle/dot reticle though.

Thanks gang!

Given those short distances, if you want something 1x, have you looked through a Leupold Prismatic? Even a rifle noob like me with a zero set about 4 FEET left at 200 yards still managed to hit a couple of the 10" flashers with it on my 16" 5.56mm S&W M&P carbine. That's my plan for HMO at short ranges. Of course, I need to get the 308 rifle, but that's a different story. I'm planning now.

I'm wanting to start shooting some Heavy Metal Optic division here and there.

Was curious if anyone had some suggestions on a optic for an AR10 type carbine. In my area we are pretty much limited to bays 100 yards and less with the average bays being 25 to 35 yards.

I've been running an Aimpoint Micro in Tactical which I've been real happy with...considering our lack of distance locally I had debated just running another Aimpoint Micro!? Also considered something in the 1-4X or 1-6X range but with my astigmatisms if the 1X isn't true it really bugs out my eyes. I had a Millet DMS that I thought would be the ticket, but the 1X screwed with my eyes so I sold it...I really liked the circle/dot reticle though.

Thanks gang!

I am brand new to the Heavy Metal optic game but I put a TR24 1-4 scope on my SCAR for that purpose.

But any of the scopes good for tac optics should be good for heavy metal optics.

SCARwithTR24.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I currently have a Vortex PST 1-4 on my DPMS HMO rifle. It seems to work well but there are better options if you want to spend the money. I think the new Bushnell 1-6.5 will warrant a serious look. I like the reticle but want to see it in the bright sun. I am not sure the illumination is bright enough. The Swaro is always an excellent choice. IOR has a new 1-10 that looks good. But it's a heavy scope and expensive (more than Swaro).

Craig

Swarovski Z6i 1-6 w/BRT reticle is easily the best 3 gun optic on the market. If you look at the top 10 of the recent Pro Series match 5/10 guys had that glass on their rifles.

Keith Garcia

Daniel Horner

Kalani Laker

Clint Upchurch

Matt Burkett

My lowly Leupold 1.5-5X scoffs at the Z6i and you can have 2 for the price! No doubt, it is a great scope but you don't need one to be successful. There are plenty of good scopes there.

Edited by kellyn

Swarovski Z6i 1-6 w/BRT reticle is easily the best 3 gun optic on the market. If you look at the top 10 of the recent Pro Series match 5/10 guys had that glass on their rifles.

Keith Garcia

Daniel Horner

Kalani Laker

Clint Upchurch

Matt Burkett

My lowly Leupold 1.5-5X scoffs at the Z6i and you can have 2! No doubt, it is a great scope but you don't need one to be successful. There are plenty of good scopes there.

I probably should have said most popular instead of best. All of these guys on my list including yourself Kelly could out shoot anyone no matter what was on top of the gun.

• 3 weeks later...

I was interested in this as well. At RM3G last year, I worked an all rifle stage and got to see all the cool gear. I was especially interest in what glass people were running. In Tac Optics, 90% of the competitors ran 1 of 3 scopes. Leupold Mark4 1.5-5, Burris XTR or the Swaro Z6i. In Heavy Optics the story was different however. It seemed as though everyone ran something different. The reasons can only be speculated, but my thoughts are that most people had thier 308 rifles set up for distance work, rather than 3gun. They simply used thier rifles the way they had them set up and most were using medium power variables such as Nightforce 2.5-10 or a Trijicon TR20 with mildot. I saw Heavies with XTR's, Mark4's, Z6i's, Short dot's all the way up to full on Leupold, IOR, Nightforce and SB sniper scopes. I honestly think that the division is so new and uncertain that people are showing up mostly with what they have. I'm putting my heavy optics rifle together now. Just to get started, I'll be using my 1-4x scope and will be watching the plethera of 1-6x scopes hitting the streets over the next year. The Z6i would be a good match. The Leupold Mark 6 with the mill reticle might also be a nice match. At the distances we shoot in 3gun (600 being the rare, outer limit), I just can't see the need for anything higher than 6x.

That sounds like a statement Gollum would make! My precioussssssss Swarovski. I hadn't realized Sauron moved to Austria and starting making scopes.

FYI I believe I also saw one on Mike Voigt's rifle at Texas Multigun.

That sounds like a statement Gollum would make! My precioussssssss Swarovski. I hadn't realized Sauron moved to Austria and starting making scopes.

FYI I believe I also saw one on Mike Voigt's rifle at Texas Multigun.

I was going for a lord of the rings reference. :cheers:

Burris MTAC in the 1-4 or 1.5-6 is a solid scope and there are probably more of them in use by the proletariat than Swaros. You can get 4 or 5 for the price of a Swaro.

The MTACs followed on the heels of the Tac30 and the XTRs, but for 3Gun, probably better than both of the predecessors from Burris.