Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

147gr for plinkng ammo?

SERVED_USMC

I want to load 5K rounds of something for general purpose shooting. Im running the 147gr's now for steel and production, but want a stock pile of something laying around that I can run through any 9mm that I may want to shoot it through. Are the 147s something that I can run through everything will the same accuracy results as my M&P? Ideally, something that can go from a 3" barrel pistol to a 16" carbine. Stay the same or lighten it up?

Some guns are picky regarding 147's.

They cost more.

Why not just some 115's for plinking. You could load some moly's pretty cheap.

Thats the type of ting I wasnt sure about, more of a reason to ask I guess.

Im may end up doing that instead. 115 is the most common, so I can only assume that they will be more favorable in a variety of guns.

I'd go with 1000 each of 124s and 115s. 147s are primarily a competition load to make minor/major PF.

Ive got 3K 147's on the way now. Those should last me quite a while since the wife will be shooting the majority of them. I normally wouldnt have bought that many, but I got a deal on them.

I have run fmj 147's in a Kimber 38 super, S&W M627 and S&W M&P pro and have had great results. The 627 really didn't like anything but 147's. My wife has arthritis in her hands and the 147 minor load is the softest shooting I have found.

A buddy of mine shoots 147gr over TG and I do 124gr over Clays, both shooting Production - both loads are very comparable in feel.. but, he pays more for the bullets and uses a little more $$ on powder per load, and it burns dirtier and much hotter than mine.

9mm handguns are all supposed to stabilize 124gr bullets well. 115gr bullets are almost same price as 124gr ones but need more owder per charge, and recoil is more harsh. 147gr ones are more $$ and in my eyes don't offer anything over 124gr bullets in shooting.

Until you try actually shooting different types of rounds through the guns then you'll never know if they will work or not. No barrel is the same and 2 identical guns could give you different results with identical bullets.

I shoot primarily 147gr in minor over W231 for practice/plinking, however I stockpile 124gr and very few 115. This way I have different options for different guns, as well as for buddies to use if they come with me. Sometimes their guns will perform better with a different weight or style than mine will, and I'm prepared either way.

It costs me more to have a bunch of different types, but in the end everyone is happy. Especially me. I won't be happy shooting something that doesn't feel good.

I'd go with 1000 each of 124s and 115s. 147s are primarily a competition load to make minor/major PF.

really? i guess i'm not using my 147s correctly because i use them for plinking.

LOL, count me as a bad boy! I run my 147's through Glocks, SIG's, CZ, Mech-Tech conversion and my Lone Wolf 9mm AR. When I shoot, I shoot 147's.