Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Heinie sights (classic)

My new to me STI has Heinie sights and after a few practice sessions I noticed it was grouping nicely but just left, so when I went to drift the rear I loosened the set screw and the sight slid right out of the dovetail

I slathered it with red lock tite and retightened the set screw, but it worries me

Can I trust the loc-tite? I want to shoot this gun at Area 6 but don't know if I can trust it.

I eventually want to trade them out for an adjustable rear and fiber front, but I haven't been able to find any to fit this slide cut

You will get to work on your point shooting?

I would think you should be okay, you can call STI and I am sure they will fix you up. I am not sure how much time you have though. If anything I bet the red loctite will make it quite a challenge to get off.

If it is not a standard novak I am unsure then. It could be cut for a bo-mar, but again time issue plus expensive.

Yeah...Rich at Canyon Creek built it for the guy I bought it from and he said he can weld it up and recut it for a bomar but he's swamped so it will have to wait until after A6

I would love to find adjustables to fit the cut, but no luck so far

Yeah...Rich at Canyon Creek built it for the guy I bought it from and he said he can weld it up and recut it for a bomar but he's swamped so it will have to wait until after A6

Loc-tite + set screw = Very unlikely to move on you. if you redo it just before A6 y

ou should be okay through one match.

Loc-tite + set screw = Very unlikely to move on you. if you redo it just before A6 y

ou should be okay through one match.

Yeah, I would definitely apply loctite to the set screw. Blue works fine, but if your paranoid use red, but it will be much more difficult to remove laterwink.gif

I think it will be fine. I would not loctite it though, as you may strip it trying to remove it.

If anything I'd peen a spot for the set screw to stick into and tighten the set screw.

Blue loctite over red for sure.

On bigger bolts, red is fine, but on a tiny set screw, I would not use red loctite.

Too late...I red loc-tited the hell out of the entire dovetail...I figured it would be Rich's problem to get it off. ;)

That probably won't be an issue. Loctite cures in the absence of air and is designed for keeping threads from coming loose, not for tightening interference fits.

It may provide some insurance, but it won't be impossible to remove or anything.

I just had to do the same thing to my STI Edge's front sight. It's a Dawson adjustable set. The front sight has no pin and is not a tight fit in the dovetail, so I just did what you did. Slather with red loctite and pray. It seems very stable now, but shooting will tell! :unsure:

I would not be afraid to shoot a match with the sight red loctited like you did. I seriously doubt it will go anywhere at all and I would recommend you leave it alone until your 'smith is ready to remove it. Red Loctite WILL fill voids and is what we used to use to fill the voids on the old Colt style front sight blades when we swaged them in the slide. The Red Loctite would fill any voids and after it set up the front sight could not move from recoil and would stay put. If the Loctite wasn't used it was a crap shoot whether the sight would stay put or not. I never had a swaged front sight that I used Red Loctite on come loose!

If it comes loose you might try using a center punch and raising some burrs in the cut to help expand the cut a bit. This and the red LT might be enough to hold things.

FWIW

Richard

PS: This is an oldtimers trick that seems to work.

mine is the same way... blue loctite on the set screw. Has held fine for well over 1,000 rounds. Probably don't want to use red on the screw. I tried peening the sight slightly, but eventually worked its way loose again.